Used 2011 BMW 5 Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 BMW 5 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

Lots of Smiles - Update
By chasman9

2011 BMW 5 Series 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Just turned 40,000 miles. After reading other reviews, I'm surprised. Not a fan of Run Flats, but the rears went 30,000 miles and I just changed the fronts, yep - 40,000 miles. Also, I have not had the car in for anything other than an Oil Change. The car has had zero defects. Still looks and handles like new and is a blast to drive (6spd Manual). If a single thing bugs me it is the phone book. Lets say you pull up a name and dial the house and there is no answer. If you want to dial the same person, only the cell, you have to start from scratch imputting the name etc.. Wish the back button worked just to take you to the other numbers for this same person.

Please read this if you are even considering buying a 535
By geomed

2011 BMW 5 Series 535i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

This is our 7th BMW over a 28 year time span. It is our LAST BMW. The car shifts very poorly from a rolling stop and just poorly from a dead stop. When I contacted BMW of NA they were very defensive and did NOTHING. This car was over $ 60,000.00 and should shift without hesitation. Let the Buyer Beware this is a car I would not buy again and it is the last car I will buy from BMW.

A redesigned transmission.

why a 535 M
By fpk1952

2011 BMW 5 Series 535i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

I have owned many 5 series, this new model is way ahead of anything I tested, Audi A6, Mercedes Benz, Lexus, it handles and drives better than all sedans I tested, I was seriously considering an Audi but after driving the Audi, Lexus, Mercedes there was no doubt that the new 535 M is a far better car in all respects and more fun to drive than the others. you can set the car on Eco mode on the hwy and get 34 mpg at 80 miles an hour, quite good for this size car, the the comfort seats are by far the most comfortable and it has a superb sound system. This car has excellent features and the Idrive is much improved and easier to use as is the Navigation system.

Comfort seats, new idrive, wheels and tires that now are all season and will last 30 K same size all around. foot swipe to open trunk and comfort access system, the engine performs very smoothly and coupled with the 8 speed is a joy to drive love the different car settings from Eco to sport plus and the paddle snifters, above all the looks of this car, sophisticated understated sports sedan,

wider and deeper door pockets

BMW Run-Flat Tires, Less Than Optimal
By teerific

2011 BMW 5 Series 535i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

Run-flat tires installed on BMW's 2011 5-series vehicles are less than optimal - creating a high level of concern for consumer safety. I purchased my brand new BMW on September 1, 2011. On October 3, 2011, I returned to the dealership for installation of wheel locks. The service tech identified a bubble in the wall of the front passenger tire. I replaced the damaged tire at the cost of $550+ dollars (including labor). During a more recent, unrelated service appointment, (February, 2012), bubbles were identified in both front tires. This would account for the second replacement of the front passenger tire within 4 months and my vehicle has less than 6,000 miles.

In an era, which major competitors like, Audi and Lexus are forcefully competing in the area of Quality BMW risks losing many of its customers. At minimum, BMW should initiate a National Recall and look to The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company to accept shared responsibility for the sale of poorly manufactured tires. BMW must quickly replace its poor quality Run-flates with "high quality" performance tires. Finally, reaching out to customers through Service Recovery initiatives would go a long way.

My first BMW
By jason60051

2011 BMW 5 Series 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

This is my first BMW and I am very impressed with the vehicle overall. I researched vehicles in the luxury midsize class and always came back to the BMW 5 series. Found a dealer with a brand new leftover 2011 and was able to negotiate almost $14k off sticker. Reading some of the reviews about the automatic transmission made me decide to go with the manual and I haven't looked back. The slick short throws make the driving experience top notch.

My favorite features on this car is the 6 speed manual, soft close doors, premium sound system, streaming bluetooth audio, smooth engine with great mpg's, large navi screen, lane departure and blind spot monitoring to name a few. Also the vehicle has a fantastic chassis along with almost no rattles anywhere in the cabin.

If I could suggest some improvements on the vehicle they would be: Less sensitive tire pressure monitoring system...the tires always seem to be low on air in the cold weather. Seems to be a little engine hesitation at low rpm's...I blame that on turbo lag.

• SUV