2011 BMW 5 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:
535i with Automatic transmission
By mann1970 on 06/09/11 09:07 AM (PDT)

2011 BMW 5 Series 535i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

I just bought black with Venetian beige 535i at Beverly Hills BMW. I like the performance and handling on this car. I use to have 7 series but with this 5 I don's miss it. I got the sport pkg, premium pkg, convenient pkg and premium pkg2.

home link problems
By njoylife on 05/31/11 21:49 PM (PDT)

2011 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 8A)

i just purchased the new bmw 5 328i it a great car. its a show stopper this is my second bmw in three years. but this is the hardest car to program the homelink pls tell me why.ive played with this. trying to program for 4hrs please tell me what im doing wrong

Quick, nimble, refined and GREAT highway mileage
By tommymight on 05/25/11 18:49 PM (PDT)

2011 BMW 5 Series 535i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

I traded in my tired gas hog 2009 Tribeca for a 535 x drive all wheel automatic. I have put 1500 miles on the 535 in three weeks and it is a true BMW. Quiet, smooth, solid acceleration and rock solid handling. The iDrive still has about 300 functions I have yet to figure out and while it is better than the older iDrive systems it's still recommended ONLY for the truly computer literate. I am amazed by the mileage. 33 mpg on the highway is common so far. I do worry about the "run flat" tires and am thinking about buying a spare tire for long trips. 50 miles on a flat run flat will still screw over a trip quick.

Lots of Smiles - M Sport Package
By chasman9 on 04/06/11 23:23 PM (PDT)

2011 BMW 5 Series 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Car is very fast (have no idea why anyone would want the V8). Had a 2009 535i before this and it is every bit as quick. Handling is excellent, but as reviewers have stated, steering gives your less feel of the road. 19" rims are nice, but now no spare. Cup holders with 6-Spd Manual are a joke. Totally non-functional and cups (any size) interfere with shifting and IDrive. German engineering at it's worst. Gray Traffic Info screen is very hard to read. Look, inside and out is terrific (really like interior lighting at night). Also, and this is new, the sound this car makes under hard acceleration is shear music. Wow. Zero problems so far at 2500 miles. It's a keeper.

Tires, Tires and More Tires
By sleepy8 on 03/21/11 12:54 PM (PDT)

2011 BMW 5 Series 550i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (4.4L 8cyl Turbo 8A)

This was the car I thought I always wanted-500xi with Msport package--what a mistake. This car can not handle a single small road defects without the Goodyear LS2 run flats getting a bubble in the sidewall. I have less than 2500miles and have gone through four tire and two rims. This all wheel drive car was not properly tested to handle the roads in the USA. It could do well on the autobahn, but not here. It should not have been marketed with 19 inch wheels and fragile sidewall run flats--what a mistake! Look elsewhere if you want a car that you can actually drive vs on that just looks good in the driveway.

too many problems for 70k car
By samsam3 on 02/12/11 16:14 PM (PST)

2011 BMW 5 Series 550i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl Turbo 6M)

I had many BMW before this F10, I like the style power and the comfort. The car has a very nice technology package and great sound system but it is short of being the ultimate driving machine any more. Since I got this car I had many problems :power steering pulling to the right, wrong amplifier installed, gear shifter stuck ,needed adding oil to the engine, comfort access had its own mind with lights turns on during day time. after 3 months I traded the car for Japanese Car which has every thing works perfect.

Hesitation Problems driving me crazy!
By wonmarco on 02/05/11 09:19 AM (PST)

2011 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 8A)

I would think twice about purchasing this vehicle. I have had a big problem with surging and hesitation at low speeds. The dealer has insisted that it is normal with the adaptive transmission, but I can assure you it is not normal! (Google BMW F10 transmission problems and you will see the problem is widespread). The sad thing is that I really love the rest of the car, but after spending $50,000+, I don't think I should be dealing with this. It really takes the pleasure out of owning the car.

2011 BMW 528
By windsurfing1 on 01/27/11 18:38 PM (PST)

2011 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 8A)

My previous BMW ownership included a 1998 528 and a BMW 328 convertible, owning these cars have turned me into a BMW fan. Then I bought this 2011 528 with reasonable amount of expectation, but it turned out to be a big disappointment. I only have one complaint about the new BMW, and it is a substantial one. The new 8 speed transmission has a almost turbo lag kinda delay followed by a surge of power when accelerating in low gears, probably because it has a adaptive mode trying to learn your driving style, that drive by wire feature alone kills the overall driving experience of a bimmer.

Best BMW I've owned 550i M-Sport 2011
By 727jbh on 01/18/11 04:56 AM (PST)

2011 BMW 5 Series 550i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl Turbo 6M)

I've owned a 2000 740i, 2004 745Li and a 2007 750Li and this 2011 550i is hands down better than any of those 7's. The ride, power, options and comfort are all perfect. The Nappa leather comfort seats are amazing and all the controls are perfectly positioned. The engine and transmission are smooth and powerful. I've installed the Dinan software upgrade and get 495 hp and 573 torque and the car is a rocket in Sport +. This car is worth every penny and the fit and finish of all the materials are top notch. You will not be disappointed in this car.

Awesome all around sports sedan
By jamesg on 01/17/11 17:32 PM (PST)

2011 BMW 5 Series 550i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl Turbo 6M)

This is my 3rd v8 5 series. while less sporty than the e39 model, this model more than offsets the reduce road feel with smooth performance. the engine and sport auto transmission work great together - acceleration is effortless at any speed. the dynamic suspension is very good and there is a visible difference between the settings. significantly more luxurious than prior models. the idrive is much more responsive and synchs up quickly when starting the car. emailing directions to the navi saves a lot of time too. still getting used to the active cruise control, but appreciate the collision detection feature. overall a great ride for both driver and passengers.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2011 BMW 5 Series in VA is:

$145 per month*