2011 BMW 5 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:
buyer beware!
By citroen3 on 06/29/11 12:27 PM (PDT)

2011 BMW 5 Series 550i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (4.4L 8cyl Turbo 8A)

I bought a 2011 550i Xdrive in late 2010, within the last six weeks I have had; 4 runflat tires (on 19inch wheels) go bust over fairly minor pot holes. they were 4 unrelated incidents. Cost to replace, just shy of $2000. Last week my car with about 10,500 miles on the clock, broke down on the highway, message 'transmission malfunction'. One tow and 5 days, later I got it back with the rear differential replaced. One day after I got it back from the local BMW dealer, new warning '4 by 4 chassis stabilisation malfunction contact your BMW dealer , do not brake hard' Given that this fully loaded, nearly $70,000 car is completely unreliabe, I am seriouly thinking of getting rid of it.

2011 BMW 5 Perfect Balance of Art and Function
By el168 on 06/28/11 20:43 PM (PDT)

2011 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 8A)

Nice performance from a beautifully designed BMW! Base model could use a little more HP, excellent sound system, luxurious interior

Tires tires and more wheels
By techman9 on 06/16/11 03:48 AM (PDT)

2011 BMW 5 Series 535i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

I too thought this was the car I always wanted and blindly bought this long awaited model. at 10k miles 6 rims and 5 tires later I need to bring it back again for 4 more. The ride though great when I first took delivery of the vehicle has been reduced to that of a early 90's truck; unresponsive transmission, steering that has no driver feedback whatsoever. Many of of the electronics malfunction consistently causing me to turn off the vehicle to reset, navigation system is one of the worse in the industry as well as the audio system. iPhone adaptor overheated my iPhone causing it to have to be replaced. All this and dimpled paint. Yes dimpled paint in the day and age. Run from this car

535i with Automatic transmission
By mann1970 on 06/09/11 09:07 AM (PDT)

2011 BMW 5 Series 535i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

I just bought black with Venetian beige 535i at Beverly Hills BMW. I like the performance and handling on this car. I use to have 7 series but with this 5 I don's miss it. I got the sport pkg, premium pkg, convenient pkg and premium pkg2.

home link problems
By njoylife on 05/31/11 21:49 PM (PDT)

2011 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 8A)

i just purchased the new bmw 5 328i it a great car. its a show stopper this is my second bmw in three years. but this is the hardest car to program the homelink pls tell me why.ive played with this. trying to program for 4hrs please tell me what im doing wrong

Quick, nimble, refined and GREAT highway mileage
By tommymight on 05/25/11 18:49 PM (PDT)

2011 BMW 5 Series 535i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

I traded in my tired gas hog 2009 Tribeca for a 535 x drive all wheel automatic. I have put 1500 miles on the 535 in three weeks and it is a true BMW. Quiet, smooth, solid acceleration and rock solid handling. The iDrive still has about 300 functions I have yet to figure out and while it is better than the older iDrive systems it's still recommended ONLY for the truly computer literate. I am amazed by the mileage. 33 mpg on the highway is common so far. I do worry about the "run flat" tires and am thinking about buying a spare tire for long trips. 50 miles on a flat run flat will still screw over a trip quick.

Lots of Smiles - M Sport Package
By chasman9 on 04/06/11 23:23 PM (PDT)

2011 BMW 5 Series 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Car is very fast (have no idea why anyone would want the V8). Had a 2009 535i before this and it is every bit as quick. Handling is excellent, but as reviewers have stated, steering gives your less feel of the road. 19" rims are nice, but now no spare. Cup holders with 6-Spd Manual are a joke. Totally non-functional and cups (any size) interfere with shifting and IDrive. German engineering at it's worst. Gray Traffic Info screen is very hard to read. Look, inside and out is terrific (really like interior lighting at night). Also, and this is new, the sound this car makes under hard acceleration is shear music. Wow. Zero problems so far at 2500 miles. It's a keeper.

Tires, Tires and More Tires
By sleepy8 on 03/21/11 12:54 PM (PDT)

2011 BMW 5 Series 550i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (4.4L 8cyl Turbo 8A)

This was the car I thought I always wanted-500xi with Msport package--what a mistake. This car can not handle a single small road defects without the Goodyear LS2 run flats getting a bubble in the sidewall. I have less than 2500miles and have gone through four tire and two rims. This all wheel drive car was not properly tested to handle the roads in the USA. It could do well on the autobahn, but not here. It should not have been marketed with 19 inch wheels and fragile sidewall run flats--what a mistake! Look elsewhere if you want a car that you can actually drive vs on that just looks good in the driveway.

too many problems for 70k car
By samsam3 on 02/12/11 16:14 PM (PST)

2011 BMW 5 Series 550i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl Turbo 6M)

I had many BMW before this F10, I like the style power and the comfort. The car has a very nice technology package and great sound system but it is short of being the ultimate driving machine any more. Since I got this car I had many problems :power steering pulling to the right, wrong amplifier installed, gear shifter stuck ,needed adding oil to the engine, comfort access had its own mind with lights turns on during day time. after 3 months I traded the car for Japanese Car which has every thing works perfect.

Hesitation Problems driving me crazy!
By wonmarco on 02/05/11 09:19 AM (PST)

2011 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 8A)

I would think twice about purchasing this vehicle. I have had a big problem with surging and hesitation at low speeds. The dealer has insisted that it is normal with the adaptive transmission, but I can assure you it is not normal! (Google BMW F10 transmission problems and you will see the problem is widespread). The sad thing is that I really love the rest of the car, but after spending $50,000+, I don't think I should be dealing with this. It really takes the pleasure out of owning the car.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2011 BMW 5 Series in VA is:

$150 per month*