2011 BMW 5 Series Consumer Review: 2011 BMW 528

2011 BMW 5 Series - Consumer Review

2011 BMW 528
By windsurfing1 on

2011 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 8A)

My previous BMW ownership included a 1998 528 and a BMW 328 convertible, owning these cars have turned me into a BMW fan. Then I bought this 2011 528 with reasonable amount of expectation, but it turned out to be a big disappointment. I only have one complaint about the new BMW, and it is a substantial one. The new 8 speed transmission has a almost turbo lag kinda delay followed by a surge of power when accelerating in low gears, probably because it has a adaptive mode trying to learn your driving style, that drive by wire feature alone kills the overall driving experience of a bimmer.

I-Drive, quiet cabin, exterior and interior look

improve the acceleration hesitation and smoothness of the 8 speed transmission at lower speeds.

Are you the author of this review?

Update Your Review
By redskinsgo
on 01/31/11 13:53 PM (PST)

I have the same issue with my new 535i. The service guy checked the problem and he told me that mechantronic part is faulty. But the part is not available in US and now back ordered. In Bimmerpost website, there's a person who had the same issue and resolved it with a new mechatronic part. Hopefully my issue can be cleared with the new part.

By drjlo
on 03/03/11 15:22 PM (PST)

I have the same problem with 2011 BMW 528i. It's worse than turbo lag I used to have with previous Audi. It's impossible to drive smoothly off lline or from low-speed because stepping on the gas slowly feels like stepping into a cotton ball without any throttle response unless really stepping on it, which then ends up in jerky push forward. Are all 528i's like this or is this something I should take to dealer to fix, i.e. the mentioned mechtronic part.