Used 2011 BMW 5 Series 528i Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

2011 BMW 5 Perfect Balance of Art and Function
By el168

2011 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 8A)

Nice performance from a beautifully designed BMW! Base model could use a little more HP, excellent sound system, luxurious interior

Favorite Features

Sound system

Suggested Improvements

Acceleration- more HP!

home link problems
By njoylife

2011 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 8A)

i just purchased the new bmw 5 328i it a great car. its a show stopper this is my second bmw in three years. but this is the hardest car to program the homelink pls tell me why.ive played with this. trying to program for 4hrs please tell me what im doing wrong

Hesitation Problems driving me crazy!
By wonmarco

2011 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 8A)

I would think twice about purchasing this vehicle. I have had a big problem with surging and hesitation at low speeds. The dealer has insisted that it is normal with the adaptive transmission, but I can assure you it is not normal! (Google BMW F10 transmission problems and you will see the problem is widespread). The sad thing is that I really love the rest of the car, but after spending $50,000+, I don't think I should be dealing with this. It really takes the pleasure out of owning the car.

Favorite Features

Everything except the low speed / stop and go driving.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the persistant transmission problems.

2011 BMW 528
By windsurfing1

2011 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 8A)

My previous BMW ownership included a 1998 528 and a BMW 328 convertible, owning these cars have turned me into a BMW fan. Then I bought this 2011 528 with reasonable amount of expectation, but it turned out to be a big disappointment. I only have one complaint about the new BMW, and it is a substantial one. The new 8 speed transmission has a almost turbo lag kinda delay followed by a surge of power when accelerating in low gears, probably because it has a adaptive mode trying to learn your driving style, that drive by wire feature alone kills the overall driving experience of a bimmer.

Favorite Features

I-Drive, quiet cabin, exterior and interior look

Suggested Improvements

improve the acceleration hesitation and smoothness of the 8 speed transmission at lower speeds.

Still Happy with it after a month of driving
By michaeljdiesen

2011 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 8A)

I got my 2011 BMW528i about a month ago and wanted to drive it a while before commenting on it. I purchased it as a replacement to my 1998 BMW528i that I had for 13 years! Now for the review: The interior is luxurious! The iDrive is new for me but after a few weeks of getting used to it, I like it. Why no touch screen though? The stereo is nice but could be a little better. The front seats seem cramped to me, maybe narrow the center console a bit? The automatic transmission seems sluggish until you shift into sport mode. The exterior is flawless. I haven't noticed any problems with the run flat tires but have been warned by many people to expect it.

Favorite Features

Leather seats, 8 speed transmission, map function, Xenon headlights, bluetooth functionality, retracting side mirrors, key fob,

Suggested Improvements

No spare tire, stereo system, run flat tires, touch screen