2011 BMW 5 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:
Lots of Smiles - Update
By chasman9 on 11/01/12 21:29 PM (PDT)

2011 BMW 5 Series 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Just turned 40,000 miles. After reading other reviews, I'm surprised. Not a fan of Run Flats, but the rears went 30,000 miles and I just changed the fronts, yep - 40,000 miles. Also, I have not had the car in for anything other than an Oil Change. The car has had zero defects. Still looks and handles like new and is a blast to drive (6spd Manual). If a single thing bugs me it is the phone book. Lets say you pull up a name and dial the house and there is no answer. If you want to dial the same person, only the cell, you have to start from scratch imputting the name etc.. Wish the back button worked just to take you to the other numbers for this same person.

Please read this if you are even considering buying a 535
By geomed on 04/30/12 22:49 PM (PDT)

2011 BMW 5 Series 535i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

This is our 7th BMW over a 28 year time span. It is our LAST BMW. The car shifts very poorly from a rolling stop and just poorly from a dead stop. When I contacted BMW of NA they were very defensive and did NOTHING. This car was over $ 60,000.00 and should shift without hesitation. Let the Buyer Beware this is a car I would not buy again and it is the last car I will buy from BMW.

why a 535 M
By fpk1952 on 04/20/12 19:33 PM (PDT)

2011 BMW 5 Series 535i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

I have owned many 5 series, this new model is way ahead of anything I tested, Audi A6, Mercedes Benz, Lexus, it handles and drives better than all sedans I tested, I was seriously considering an Audi but after driving the Audi, Lexus, Mercedes there was no doubt that the new 535 M is a far better car in all respects and more fun to drive than the others. you can set the car on Eco mode on the hwy and get 34 mpg at 80 miles an hour, quite good for this size car, the the comfort seats are by far the most comfortable and it has a superb sound system. This car has excellent features and the Idrive is much improved and easier to use as is the Navigation system.

BMW Run-Flat Tires, Less Than Optimal
By teerific on 02/20/12 21:04 PM (PST)

2011 BMW 5 Series 535i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

Run-flat tires installed on BMW's 2011 5-series vehicles are less than optimal - creating a high level of concern for consumer safety. I purchased my brand new BMW on September 1, 2011. On October 3, 2011, I returned to the dealership for installation of wheel locks. The service tech identified a bubble in the wall of the front passenger tire. I replaced the damaged tire at the cost of $550+ dollars (including labor). During a more recent, unrelated service appointment, (February, 2012), bubbles were identified in both front tires. This would account for the second replacement of the front passenger tire within 4 months and my vehicle has less than 6,000 miles.

My first BMW
By jason60051 on 12/30/11 11:32 AM (PST)

2011 BMW 5 Series 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

This is my first BMW and I am very impressed with the vehicle overall. I researched vehicles in the luxury midsize class and always came back to the BMW 5 series. Found a dealer with a brand new leftover 2011 and was able to negotiate almost $14k off sticker. Reading some of the reviews about the automatic transmission made me decide to go with the manual and I haven't looked back. The slick short throws make the driving experience top notch.

No BMW USA Service Support
By blunt1 on 09/14/11 07:55 AM (PDT)

2011 BMW 5 Series 550i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl Turbo 6M)

While my salesman was one of the most knowledgeable salesman I have ever encountered, I was reassured that this very expensive investment would receive any service and support it needed. I drove the car off of the lot with a warning message regarding the electrical system. Two trips back to the dealer I finally get a new battery. Second trip back I explained that the road noise and pulling to the right was excessive. Their response was, "well its just the sports suspension", and nothing we can do. Third trip was concern about a quart of oil added every 7,000 miles. Nothing they can do. Now I need $2200 in tires, and the car leaks. No support for this lemon of a car.

Transmission Problems
By noles01 on 09/07/11 10:06 AM (PDT)

2011 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 8A)

This is my third BMW 5 Series and I'm afraid it's my last...... The transmission hestitation at low speeds is absolutely maddening. It's much worse than any turbo lag. I wish i still had my 2008 528i. I've taken it to the dealer three times and was told "it's just the nature of the beast and there is nothing we can do". Sure wish I would have read about the conerns posted here before I leased this car for 36 months. Four months and four thousand miles of misery. Doubt I can last. My new Bimmer is a Bummer. Any ideas?

Great car for the money
By rlandrews on 08/14/11 17:18 PM (PDT)

2011 BMW 5 Series 550i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl Turbo 6M)

i bought a 550i with 6-speed and sport package. The engine is terrific. My last two cars have been Corvettes, and this car does not leave me wanting for more power. The torque is massive. I wish the suspension were a little more firm, and I question whether I should have ordered the Dynamic Handling Package on the car in addition to the sport package. Overall, a great car and much more car for the money than the Corvettes I have been driving.

BMW number 9
By 550ixfan1 on 07/19/11 16:16 PM (PDT)

2011 BMW 5 Series 550i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (4.4L 8cyl Turbo 8A)

THE BEST EXPERIENCE IN MY LIFE AS DRIVER, after a series of approximately 20 owned cars ( some 10 BMWs ), and several rented, leased and borrowed during 45 years.

Average
By bell10 on 06/30/11 19:34 PM (PDT)

2011 BMW 5 Series 550i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl Turbo 6M)

I have owned this car for a year and find it very average. The steering is terrible and the transmission gear selection is also terrible. The rest is borderline average. It demonstrates very little value for the money. Its much to heavy. Its far from the ultimate driving machine. Not much fun to drive.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2011 BMW 5 Series in VA is:

$150 per month*