Used 2011 BMW 5 Series 550i xDrive Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

RIP 550xi
By bmwowner30

2011 BMW 5 Series Sedan 550i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (4.4L 8cyl Turbo 8A)

Nice car, albeit a bit overpriced, however there is something seriously wrong with this engine. After about 40,000 miles (still under warranty), POOF the engine blew up and caught fire. The problem started with a chassis stabilization malfunction error and the car went into limp mode where you cannot exceed 11mph. After a mile of driving, car engine started to smoke up. After shutting off engine, car engine eventually ignited. Prior yo the fire, I would receive random errors in the battery and noticed burning oil smell. Anyway, although I am a bmw lover, I'm not sure I see a new bmw in my future unless bmw 'makes it right' and incentivises me to buy another one.

Favorite Features

Interior design and luxury features (heads up display, heated steering, etc)

Suggested Improvements

An engine that doesn't try to kill me.

Poor Tires equipped for the 5 series
By jackz1

2011 BMW 5 Series Sedan 550i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (4.4L 8cyl Turbo 8A)

I'm a BMW fan and had several BMW cars bought or leased from BMW dealers before this 550I leased in Sept 2011 from Nick Alexander Imports in LA. No problem with BMW cars before this 550I which we had replaced 3 run flat tires within 7 months of lease with the same problem-internal cuts on tires. This is really unusual as I never had this tire issue with other BMW cars before. I filed a complaint with the dealer from which I leased the car but was told driver was responsible for tires.

Suggested Improvements

Need to assess the tires to see if this kind of tires are fit for the 550I and should be equipped with this model.

Not a BMW anymore
By bummer5

2011 BMW 5 Series Sedan 550i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (4.4L 8cyl Turbo 8A)

I have an '02 530i, love it. Purchased a 550ix because I love BMW....used to love BMW. This car drives like a Buick. Even sport mode floats on the road. The seats are awful and the engine sounds like a 4 cylinder Honda. I can't believe BMW would even put this out! I finally gave the car to my wife and went back to my '02 530i. Now that BMW is no longer "BMW", what do I buy?! So disappointed! Shame on you BMW!

Favorite Features

Interior and looks

Suggested Improvements

Build a car that handles like a BMW.

BMW number 9
By 550ixfan1

2011 BMW 5 Series Sedan 550i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (4.4L 8cyl Turbo 8A)

THE BEST EXPERIENCE IN MY LIFE AS DRIVER, after a series of approximately 20 owned cars ( some 10 BMWs ), and several rented, leased and borrowed during 45 years.

Favorite Features

Quality and performance at a new level for family cars

Suggested Improvements

Separate individual seatings for two behind. No sofa should be in such a car!

buyer beware!
By citroen3

2011 BMW 5 Series Sedan 550i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (4.4L 8cyl Turbo 8A)

I bought a 2011 550i Xdrive in late 2010, within the last six weeks I have had; 4 runflat tires (on 19inch wheels) go bust over fairly minor pot holes. they were 4 unrelated incidents. Cost to replace, just shy of $2000. Last week my car with about 10,500 miles on the clock, broke down on the highway, message 'transmission malfunction'. One tow and 5 days, later I got it back with the rear differential replaced. One day after I got it back from the local BMW dealer, new warning '4 by 4 chassis stabilisation malfunction contact your BMW dealer , do not brake hard' Given that this fully loaded, nearly $70,000 car is completely unreliabe, I am seriouly thinking of getting rid of it.

Suggested Improvements

replace run flats - many drivers are having the same issue (see bimmerfest web site). BMW NA - wake up! you are going to lose a lot of clients if you do not own up to the runflat issue. The person I spoke to at BMW NA, told me initially it was a 'Goodyear issue'. I did not buy a car from Goodyear, I bought it from BMW NA