2011 BMW 5 Series Sedan 3.0L 6-cyl. Turbo AWD 8-speed Automatic Consumer Reviews

2011 BMW 5 Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

535i xDrive Sedan (3.0L 6-cyl. Turbo AWD 8-speed Automatic)

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:
Good riddance
By yossarian7 on 03/17/15 13:53 PM (PDT)

2011 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

Electric throttle + turbos = you never know what you were going to get, or when you are going to get it. Merging onto a highway was a stressful event. Seats were uncomfortable. Not enough leg room (I'm 6'1"). Run-flat tires were junk - developed bubbles and made for harsh ride. Alloy wheels were so soft, and/or car was so heavy, that it was not possible to keep the wheels "round" or in balance. HVAC temperature control never worked right (it always blows hot air). Car handled like crap - the opposite of the ultimate driving machine. The car rolled so much during a turn - usually suddenly - that it was downright scary. Car was way too heavy. I was glad to trade it in.

Handles like a Hippo on Stilts
By burnrub on 03/17/14 12:52 PM (PDT)

2011 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

I upgraded from a 335 to the 535 cuz I wanted a bigger car. The transmission failed in the 1st month and they had to do a complete rebuild, which cost @ $3,000. The car is pretty fast, but unfortunately, it exhibits way to much body roll and modest curves have to be eased into. The interior quality is top-notch, if a bit bland. Also, BMW will nickle and dime you for pretty basic features on a luxury car. There are better cars out there. Choose Wisely.

RunOnFlat. Stay Away.
By ahsim on 01/11/14 15:25 PM (PST)

2011 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

It's a first and a last time I own the car (535xi 2011)with RFT tires. I changed 4 tires already and 2 more on a way. Each one is $500.00. The problem is always same: the buble on a side of the tire. Beside the danger to drive it (to yourself and others on a road), car will not pass the inspection. There is no spare tire. If the tire goes bad at night or on Sunday, that it. If you live in an area with roads with a lot of potholes (NY) , forget about this car. States should regulate sale of cars with RFT tires. Every car has problems, but this is ripoff

Battery
By father4girls on 09/02/13 07:43 AM (PDT)

2011 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

I bought my 2011 BMW 535IX back in Oct 2010 and have loved it since day one. The car is great and the dealership is great, I am just concerned that they replaced my battery for the 2nd time in just under 3 years. I am on my 3rd battery and my concern is what happens when the free service contract expires next year? Is it just my car or does BMW have an electrical issue here?

The End of a Beautiful Relationship
By nashvegasbmw on 01/21/13 05:42 AM (PST)

2011 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

I have owned at least one BMW since 1974, when I bought my first - a 2002tii sedan. A 528, 530, a 330i, and a 325xi later. I considered myself a devotee. This 535xi wagon is the single-most unreliable car of any make that I have ever owned (and I've owned Jaguars and MG's). The drive-by-wire-electronically-controlled everything just doesn't work. Furthermore, the word is out on this defective car line and the resale value has PLUMMETED. And, unlike the old days, BMW Customer Service could care less. I will never buy another. I feel like a scorned lover.

Please read this if you are even considering buying a 535
By geomed on 04/30/12 22:49 PM (PDT)

2011 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

This is our 7th BMW over a 28 year time span. It is our LAST BMW. The car shifts very poorly from a rolling stop and just poorly from a dead stop. When I contacted BMW of NA they were very defensive and did NOTHING. This car was over $ 60,000.00 and should shift without hesitation. Let the Buyer Beware this is a car I would not buy again and it is the last car I will buy from BMW.

why a 535 M
By fpk1952 on 04/20/12 19:33 PM (PDT)

2011 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

I have owned many 5 series, this new model is way ahead of anything I tested, Audi A6, Mercedes Benz, Lexus, it handles and drives better than all sedans I tested, I was seriously considering an Audi but after driving the Audi, Lexus, Mercedes there was no doubt that the new 535 M is a far better car in all respects and more fun to drive than the others. you can set the car on Eco mode on the hwy and get 34 mpg at 80 miles an hour, quite good for this size car, the the comfort seats are by far the most comfortable and it has a superb sound system. This car has excellent features and the Idrive is much improved and easier to use as is the Navigation system.

BMW Run-Flat Tires, Less Than Optimal
By teerific on 02/20/12 21:04 PM (PST)

2011 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

Run-flat tires installed on BMW's 2011 5-series vehicles are less than optimal - creating a high level of concern for consumer safety. I purchased my brand new BMW on September 1, 2011. On October 3, 2011, I returned to the dealership for installation of wheel locks. The service tech identified a bubble in the wall of the front passenger tire. I replaced the damaged tire at the cost of $550+ dollars (including labor). During a more recent, unrelated service appointment, (February, 2012), bubbles were identified in both front tires. This would account for the second replacement of the front passenger tire within 4 months and my vehicle has less than 6,000 miles.

Tires tires and more wheels
By techman9 on 06/16/11 03:48 AM (PDT)

2011 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

I too thought this was the car I always wanted and blindly bought this long awaited model. at 10k miles 6 rims and 5 tires later I need to bring it back again for 4 more. The ride though great when I first took delivery of the vehicle has been reduced to that of a early 90's truck; unresponsive transmission, steering that has no driver feedback whatsoever. Many of of the electronics malfunction consistently causing me to turn off the vehicle to reset, navigation system is one of the worse in the industry as well as the audio system. iPhone adaptor overheated my iPhone causing it to have to be replaced. All this and dimpled paint. Yes dimpled paint in the day and age. Run from this car

535i with Automatic transmission
By mann1970 on 06/09/11 09:07 AM (PDT)

2011 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

I just bought black with Venetian beige 535i at Beverly Hills BMW. I like the performance and handling on this car. I use to have 7 series but with this 5 I don's miss it. I got the sport pkg, premium pkg, convenient pkg and premium pkg2.