Used 2011 BMW 5 Series 535i xDrive Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

2011 535xi = Worst Car Owning Experience
By Mo

2011 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

I've always leased cars and thought I should finance for a change. I couldn't see anything wrong with that decision; figured BMW quality is top notch (German soccer), performance (autobahn), and good looking (even old German cars look sexy). In order to be safe I even ditched out 5k for extended warranty which didn't cover anything. Couple months after my purchase my tires need to be replaced. Couple weeks after that I'm merging onto the freeway and my piston blows up and takes out two cylinders with it. Twenty grand after that my thermostat breaks and I have no heat in the middle of winter (thank god for electric heated seats). Couple snowstorms after that my battery needs to be replaced

Looks. I had all the packages on my set and I got endless compliments - more than I have received for any other car. But the fun stops as soon as the maintenance bills kick in. At that point the compliments just becomes taunts to your poor decision to purchase this vehicle.

Don't finance this car - lease it instead. There's nothing in this car that'll last, sooner or later you'll replace every part. Before you know it you'll be 20k over the cost of your purchase.

Good riddance
By yossarian7

2011 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

Electric throttle + turbos = you never know what you were going to get, or when you are going to get it. Merging onto a highway was a stressful event. Seats were uncomfortable. Not enough leg room (I'm 6'1"). Run-flat tires were junk - developed bubbles and made for harsh ride. Alloy wheels were so soft, and/or car was so heavy, that it was not possible to keep the wheels "round" or in balance. HVAC temperature control never worked right (it always blows hot air). Car handled like crap - the opposite of the ultimate driving machine. The car rolled so much during a turn - usually suddenly - that it was downright scary. Car was way too heavy. I was glad to trade it in.

Well-built. Solid. X drive worked great in snow. Decent gas mileage. Free dealer maintenance during warranty.

Needs: to shed weight; better throttle/turbo mapping; two-inches of additional front-seat leg room; drop run-flats; HVAC that works.

Handles like a Hippo on Stilts
By burnrub

2011 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

I upgraded from a 335 to the 535 cuz I wanted a bigger car. The transmission failed in the 1st month and they had to do a complete rebuild, which cost @ $3,000. The car is pretty fast, but unfortunately, it exhibits way to much body roll and modest curves have to be eased into. The interior quality is top-notch, if a bit bland. Also, BMW will nickle and dime you for pretty basic features on a luxury car. There are better cars out there. Choose Wisely.

RunOnFlat. Stay Away.
By ahsim

2011 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

It's a first and a last time I own the car (535xi 2011)with RFT tires. I changed 4 tires already and 2 more on a way. Each one is $500.00. The problem is always same: the buble on a side of the tire. Beside the danger to drive it (to yourself and others on a road), car will not pass the inspection. There is no spare tire. If the tire goes bad at night or on Sunday, that it. If you live in an area with roads with a lot of potholes (NY) , forget about this car. States should regulate sale of cars with RFT tires. Every car has problems, but this is ripoff

1. Restrict sale of the RFT tires in states with bad roads 2 BMW should offer an option for conventional tires with spare one and the jack. ( If they want to sell this cars)

Battery
By father4girls

2011 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

I bought my 2011 BMW 535IX back in Oct 2010 and have loved it since day one. The car is great and the dealership is great, I am just concerned that they replaced my battery for the 2nd time in just under 3 years. I am on my 3rd battery and my concern is what happens when the free service contract expires next year? Is it just my car or does BMW have an electrical issue here?