2011 BMW 5 Series 535i xDrive Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Sort Reviews by

Good riddance
By yossarian7

2011 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

Electric throttle + turbos = you never know what you were going to get, or when you are going to get it. Merging onto a highway was a stressful event. Seats were uncomfortable. Not enough leg room (I'm 6'1"). Run-flat tires were junk - developed bubbles and made for harsh ride. Alloy wheels were so soft, and/or car was so heavy, that it was not possible to keep the wheels "round" or in balance. HVAC temperature control never worked right (it always blows hot air). Car handled like crap - the opposite of the ultimate driving machine. The car rolled so much during a turn - usually suddenly - that it was downright scary. Car was way too heavy. I was glad to trade it in.

Favorite Features

Well-built. Solid. X drive worked great in snow. Decent gas mileage. Free dealer maintenance during warranty.

Suggested Improvements

Needs: to shed weight; better throttle/turbo mapping; two-inches of additional front-seat leg room; drop run-flats; HVAC that works.

Handles like a Hippo on Stilts
By burnrub

2011 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

I upgraded from a 335 to the 535 cuz I wanted a bigger car. The transmission failed in the 1st month and they had to do a complete rebuild, which cost @ $3,000. The car is pretty fast, but unfortunately, it exhibits way to much body roll and modest curves have to be eased into. The interior quality is top-notch, if a bit bland. Also, BMW will nickle and dime you for pretty basic features on a luxury car. There are better cars out there. Choose Wisely.

RunOnFlat. Stay Away.
By ahsim

2011 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

It's a first and a last time I own the car (535xi 2011)with RFT tires. I changed 4 tires already and 2 more on a way. Each one is $500.00. The problem is always same: the buble on a side of the tire. Beside the danger to drive it (to yourself and others on a road), car will not pass the inspection. There is no spare tire. If the tire goes bad at night or on Sunday, that it. If you live in an area with roads with a lot of potholes (NY) , forget about this car. States should regulate sale of cars with RFT tires. Every car has problems, but this is ripoff

Suggested Improvements

1. Restrict sale of the RFT tires in states with bad roads 2 BMW should offer an option for conventional tires with spare one and the jack. ( If they want to sell this cars)

Battery
By father4girls

2011 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

I bought my 2011 BMW 535IX back in Oct 2010 and have loved it since day one. The car is great and the dealership is great, I am just concerned that they replaced my battery for the 2nd time in just under 3 years. I am on my 3rd battery and my concern is what happens when the free service contract expires next year? Is it just my car or does BMW have an electrical issue here?

The End of a Beautiful Relationship
By nashvegasbmw

2011 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

I have owned at least one BMW since 1974, when I bought my first - a 2002tii sedan. A 528, 530, a 330i, and a 325xi later. I considered myself a devotee. This 535xi wagon is the single-most unreliable car of any make that I have ever owned (and I've owned Jaguars and MG's). The drive-by-wire-electronically-controlled everything just doesn't work. Furthermore, the word is out on this defective car line and the resale value has PLUMMETED. And, unlike the old days, BMW Customer Service could care less. I will never buy another. I feel like a scorned lover.

Favorite Features

The 3.0 twin turbo, and the automatic transmission in this car may be the best I have ever driven - when it's not in the shop. Brakes are STUNNING in their competence. If they were controlled by something even close to mechanical linkage or input they would probably be a part of my favorite automobile. Unfortunately, they are not.

Suggested Improvements

Putting aside the awful styling of the new cars, BMW should return to what they do best, mechanical devices. Get rid of all the video-game electronics, the numb-nuts steering the I-Drive system (it's simpler to run my business than it is to turn the damned heater on in this car), and be willing to fix a car when it is problematic. Sad thing is, the "new" BMW doesn't really care if I never buy another one of their cars. They are obviously courting a new kind of buyer more interested in status than what made a once-great marque.

Please read this if you are even considering buying a 535
By geomed

2011 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

This is our 7th BMW over a 28 year time span. It is our LAST BMW. The car shifts very poorly from a rolling stop and just poorly from a dead stop. When I contacted BMW of NA they were very defensive and did NOTHING. This car was over $ 60,000.00 and should shift without hesitation. Let the Buyer Beware this is a car I would not buy again and it is the last car I will buy from BMW.

Suggested Improvements

A redesigned transmission.

why a 535 M
By fpk1952

2011 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

I have owned many 5 series, this new model is way ahead of anything I tested, Audi A6, Mercedes Benz, Lexus, it handles and drives better than all sedans I tested, I was seriously considering an Audi but after driving the Audi, Lexus, Mercedes there was no doubt that the new 535 M is a far better car in all respects and more fun to drive than the others. you can set the car on Eco mode on the hwy and get 34 mpg at 80 miles an hour, quite good for this size car, the the comfort seats are by far the most comfortable and it has a superb sound system. This car has excellent features and the Idrive is much improved and easier to use as is the Navigation system.

Favorite Features

Comfort seats, new idrive, wheels and tires that now are all season and will last 30 K same size all around. foot swipe to open trunk and comfort access system, the engine performs very smoothly and coupled with the 8 speed is a joy to drive love the different car settings from Eco to sport plus and the paddle snifters, above all the looks of this car, sophisticated understated sports sedan,

Suggested Improvements

wider and deeper door pockets

BMW Run-Flat Tires, Less Than Optimal
By teerific

2011 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

Run-flat tires installed on BMW's 2011 5-series vehicles are less than optimal - creating a high level of concern for consumer safety. I purchased my brand new BMW on September 1, 2011. On October 3, 2011, I returned to the dealership for installation of wheel locks. The service tech identified a bubble in the wall of the front passenger tire. I replaced the damaged tire at the cost of $550+ dollars (including labor). During a more recent, unrelated service appointment, (February, 2012), bubbles were identified in both front tires. This would account for the second replacement of the front passenger tire within 4 months and my vehicle has less than 6,000 miles.

Suggested Improvements

In an era, which major competitors like, Audi and Lexus are forcefully competing in the area of Quality BMW risks losing many of its customers. At minimum, BMW should initiate a National Recall and look to The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company to accept shared responsibility for the sale of poorly manufactured tires. BMW must quickly replace its poor quality Run-flates with "high quality" performance tires. Finally, reaching out to customers through Service Recovery initiatives would go a long way.

Tires tires and more wheels
By techman9

2011 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

I too thought this was the car I always wanted and blindly bought this long awaited model. at 10k miles 6 rims and 5 tires later I need to bring it back again for 4 more. The ride though great when I first took delivery of the vehicle has been reduced to that of a early 90's truck; unresponsive transmission, steering that has no driver feedback whatsoever. Many of of the electronics malfunction consistently causing me to turn off the vehicle to reset, navigation system is one of the worse in the industry as well as the audio system. iPhone adaptor overheated my iPhone causing it to have to be replaced. All this and dimpled paint. Yes dimpled paint in the day and age. Run from this car

Favorite Features

I am sure I will find a favorite feature on my next Audi

Suggested Improvements

Everyone is entitle to making a mistake however mistakes must be rectified. BMW customer service is the worst in the industry in my opinion. Completely unresponsive. I asked for a BMW district rep to contact me and no one did nor would they give me a phone or email address Selling dealer and a different service dealer are still not assisting me.

535i with Automatic transmission
By mann1970

2011 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

I just bought black with Venetian beige 535i at Beverly Hills BMW. I like the performance and handling on this car. I use to have 7 series but with this 5 I don's miss it. I got the sport pkg, premium pkg, convenient pkg and premium pkg2.

Favorite Features

i-drive and sport automatic transmission

Suggested Improvements

Seats could be more comfortable.