Used 2011 BMW 5 Series 550i Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

No BMW USA Service Support
By blunt1

2011 BMW 5 Series Sedan 550i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl Turbo 6M)

While my salesman was one of the most knowledgeable salesman I have ever encountered, I was reassured that this very expensive investment would receive any service and support it needed. I drove the car off of the lot with a warning message regarding the electrical system. Two trips back to the dealer I finally get a new battery. Second trip back I explained that the road noise and pulling to the right was excessive. Their response was, "well its just the sports suspension", and nothing we can do. Third trip was concern about a quart of oil added every 7,000 miles. Nothing they can do. Now I need $2200 in tires, and the car leaks. No support for this lemon of a car.

Favorite Features

It is really fast, great gas mileage for the horsepower.

Suggested Improvements

BMW USA should stand behind an automobile that costs over $70K when this many issues arise within one year of purchase.

Great car for the money
By rlandrews

2011 BMW 5 Series Sedan 550i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl Turbo 6M)

i bought a 550i with 6-speed and sport package. The engine is terrific. My last two cars have been Corvettes, and this car does not leave me wanting for more power. The torque is massive. I wish the suspension were a little more firm, and I question whether I should have ordered the Dynamic Handling Package on the car in addition to the sport package. Overall, a great car and much more car for the money than the Corvettes I have been driving.

Favorite Features

Torque, comfort, quiet, lots of electronics to play with, handsome appearance

Suggested Improvements

A sport package that stiffens up the suspension a little more

Average
By bell10

2011 BMW 5 Series Sedan 550i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl Turbo 6M)

I have owned this car for a year and find it very average. The steering is terrible and the transmission gear selection is also terrible. The rest is borderline average. It demonstrates very little value for the money. Its much to heavy. Its far from the ultimate driving machine. Not much fun to drive.

Favorite Features

Radio

Suggested Improvements

IMPROVE STEERING, REDUCE WEIGHT, REPROGRAM THE TRANSMISSION.

too many problems for 70k car
By samsam3

2011 BMW 5 Series Sedan 550i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl Turbo 6M)

I had many BMW before this F10, I like the style power and the comfort. The car has a very nice technology package and great sound system but it is short of being the ultimate driving machine any more. Since I got this car I had many problems :power steering pulling to the right, wrong amplifier installed, gear shifter stuck ,needed adding oil to the engine, comfort access had its own mind with lights turns on during day time. after 3 months I traded the car for Japanese Car which has every thing works perfect.

Best BMW I've owned 550i M-Sport 2011
By 727jbh

2011 BMW 5 Series Sedan 550i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl Turbo 6M)

I've owned a 2000 740i, 2004 745Li and a 2007 750Li and this 2011 550i is hands down better than any of those 7's. The ride, power, options and comfort are all perfect. The Nappa leather comfort seats are amazing and all the controls are perfectly positioned. The engine and transmission are smooth and powerful. I've installed the Dinan software upgrade and get 495 hp and 573 torque and the car is a rocket in Sport +. This car is worth every penny and the fit and finish of all the materials are top notch. You will not be disappointed in this car.

Favorite Features

Head-up Display, Active Cruise Control, Nappa Leather Seats, Dark Graphite Metallic Paint, M-Sport Package, Black Chrome tail pipes, Navigation Screen is awesomely large and clear and the V-8 Twin Turbo engine.

Suggested Improvements

Alcantara Headliner and Leather Instrument Panel.