Used 2011 BMW 5 Series Sedan Consumer Reviews - 75 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

Get back to basics
By Chris

2011 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

I previously owned a '95 M3 that was rarely in for repair. This 2011 535 has seen the dealership far too many times. In a span of just over 2 years the following has occurred: keyless entry failed (multiple times), water pump failed, AC failed, valve cover gasket replaced, another oil gasket leaked (last 2 were total $2,300), 2 wheels bent, 1 wheel cracked (run flats not for typical roads), sway bar replaced to name a few I recall. Other than that, I do love this car. X-Drive is probably better than most SUV'S out there. Love the aggressive looks of the M-sport package. Car is bank vault solid. I feel very safe hauling my family in it. I-drive is decent but not as intuitive as Acura. Gas mileage is outstanding for such a large car (29 hwy). Long trips I've done 34 mpg. Power is impressive. Hesitation from stop is there as others have written. Very odd. Feels like transmission is slipping. Dealer claims it's normal. Seems almost any brand has issues. If you get lucky with yours, you will love it. BMW simply needs to simplify their electronics. Stop the over engineering and focus on building a solid car again. My problem is I visit the Philly auto show every year. Not another car out there that meets my need for performance, style, price, awd, safety and comfort. Sounds like a market opportunity...

GREAT PURCHASE!!!
By Shannon G.

2011 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

It's flawless, you wouldn't be able to tell if the car was used, due to its perfect flawless condition both interior and exterior. No scratches. All conponents work. The only difference between this vehicle and a new one is looking at the odometer.

Complete Disappointment - RFT Tires are nightmare
By Jason C.

2011 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

I purchased this Car in May, it is now October and I'm returning the car to the dealer and taking the loss on the taxes and extended warranty I paid for to trade it in for a different car. Almost $10,000 down the drain plus whatever amount that car has devalued from use.

First of all, let me just confirm the complaints about the tires I see from other reviewers. They are a total nightmare! I have the receipts for 14 tires that I have replaced in the last 5 months. I bought 4 brand new tires at almost $500 bucks each after my first two flats. 1 had a bubble and subsequently popped within 24 hours of having it installed. I had it replaced with a new tire using the road hazard warranty and within a week, the two front tires blew out again. At that point I was driving scared and being extremely careful not to hit any bumps. Ive owned 2 door coupes with 19" wheels and thin tires and never had this problem. I even tried getting tires with a bigger sidewall to see if the extra cushioning would help and it only made things worse. The Car started to have an issue with the transfer case. According to the dealership the car has to use the specific tire measurements that come with the car or the transfer case gets confused when doling out power to the wheels. So basically I had no choice but to keep replacing the crappy run flat tires that costs $500. Ludicrous, I am trading in the car because the money I will lose from purchasing the extended warranty , does not add up to the cost of constantly replacing these tires.

Other issues I had in my short time with the car are:

The windshield fluid stopped working and pump had to be replaced.
iDrive controller completely stopped working so the entire infotainment system was uncontrollable.
Driver seat kept causing a warning that it could not be calibrated.
Radio kept having a strange feedback noise at high volumes.

All of these problems are minor issues that could easily be fixed by the very attentive and pleasant BMW staff at the service center. They were great and very pleasurable to work with. However it takes a month just to get an appointment at any BMW dealer in the New York area and some dealerships don't offer loaners unless you purchased the car from them. When I went to the Service Center I was shocked, They had over a 500 Cars on the lot for repairs. Ive never seen anything like it. I previously had an infiniti and never had to wait for a service appointment or worry about getting a loaner. Not to mention the Inifiniti facilities are infinitely (no pun intended) better than anything I've seen from BMW.

To say that I'm disappointed is an understatement. Im trading the Car in and trying out an Audi A7 or a Benz CLS. Hoping that other German Car brands don't turn out to be all hype.

2011 535xi = Worst Car Owning Experience
By Mo

2011 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

I've always leased cars and thought I should finance for a change. I couldn't see anything wrong with that decision; figured BMW quality is top notch (German soccer), performance (autobahn), and good looking (even old German cars look sexy). In order to be safe I even ditched out 5k for extended warranty which didn't cover anything.

Couple months after my purchase my tires need to be replaced. Couple weeks after that I'm merging onto the freeway and my piston blows up and takes out two cylinders with it. Twenty grand after that my thermostat breaks and I have no heat in the middle of winter (thank god for electric heated seats). Couple snowstorms after that my battery needs to be replaced

Looks. I had all the packages on my set and I got endless compliments - more than I have received for any other car. But the fun stops as soon as the maintenance bills kick in. At that point the compliments just becomes taunts to your poor decision to purchase this vehicle.

Don't finance this car - lease it instead. There's nothing in this car that'll last, sooner or later you'll replace every part. Before you know it you'll be 20k over the cost of your purchase.

Good riddance
By yossarian7

2011 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

Electric throttle + turbos = you never know what you were going to get, or when you are going to get it. Merging onto a highway was a stressful event. Seats were uncomfortable. Not enough leg room (I'm 6'1"). Run-flat tires were junk - developed bubbles and made for harsh ride. Alloy wheels were so soft, and/or car was so heavy, that it was not possible to keep the wheels "round" or in balance. HVAC temperature control never worked right (it always blows hot air). Car handled like crap - the opposite of the ultimate driving machine. The car rolled so much during a turn - usually suddenly - that it was downright scary. Car was way too heavy. I was glad to trade it in.

Well-built. Solid. X drive worked great in snow. Decent gas mileage. Free dealer maintenance during warranty.

Needs: to shed weight; better throttle/turbo mapping; two-inches of additional front-seat leg room; drop run-flats; HVAC that works.