2011 BMW 5 Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:
Not a BMW anymore
By bummer5 on 08/04/14 09:26 AM (PDT)

2011 BMW 5 Series Sedan 550i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (4.4L 8cyl Turbo 8A)

I have an '02 530i, love it. Purchased a 550ix because I love BMW....used to love BMW. This car drives like a Buick. Even sport mode floats on the road. The seats are awful and the engine sounds like a 4 cylinder Honda. I can't believe BMW would even put this out! I finally gave the car to my wife and went back to my '02 530i. Now that BMW is no longer "BMW", what do I buy?! So disappointed! Shame on you BMW!

Handles like a Hippo on Stilts
By burnrub on 03/17/14 12:52 PM (PDT)

2011 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

I upgraded from a 335 to the 535 cuz I wanted a bigger car. The transmission failed in the 1st month and they had to do a complete rebuild, which cost @ $3,000. The car is pretty fast, but unfortunately, it exhibits way to much body roll and modest curves have to be eased into. The interior quality is top-notch, if a bit bland. Also, BMW will nickle and dime you for pretty basic features on a luxury car. There are better cars out there. Choose Wisely.

RunOnFlat. Stay Away.
By ahsim on 01/11/14 15:25 PM (PST)

2011 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

It's a first and a last time I own the car (535xi 2011)with RFT tires. I changed 4 tires already and 2 more on a way. Each one is $500.00. The problem is always same: the buble on a side of the tire. Beside the danger to drive it (to yourself and others on a road), car will not pass the inspection. There is no spare tire. If the tire goes bad at night or on Sunday, that it. If you live in an area with roads with a lot of potholes (NY) , forget about this car. States should regulate sale of cars with RFT tires. Every car has problems, but this is ripoff

Overvalued lemon
By ragril on 09/09/13 09:58 AM (PDT)

2011 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 8A)

I've owned this car for almost two years. My first and last BMW. How much I regret this purchase. The ride is rough, noisy and irregular. This car has a problem. There is something wrong with the ride. It shudders and vibrates badly. Yet, the dealer has been useless. They find all sort of excuses in order to dismiss my concerns. It is supposed to be normal!!! When my beloved Honda Pilot 2006 rides smoother and straighter than my $60,000 2011 BMW, you can tell this junk is worth nothing. So much for the ultimate driving... scam!

Battery
By father4girls on 09/02/13 07:43 AM (PDT)

2011 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

I bought my 2011 BMW 535IX back in Oct 2010 and have loved it since day one. The car is great and the dealership is great, I am just concerned that they replaced my battery for the 2nd time in just under 3 years. I am on my 3rd battery and my concern is what happens when the free service contract expires next year? Is it just my car or does BMW have an electrical issue here?

Disappointment city
By nomore528s on 06/22/13 20:22 PM (PDT)

2011 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 8A)

I have had two 528 sedans in my life. The first was a 2000, and the second was a 2011. I picked both of them up at the facility in SC and drove both them to CA Lotsa' fun was had both times. The 2000 over the time I owned it was great... not a lick of trouble. The 2011 was more disappointing than my first wife. The first issue was those useless tires, one of which failed 3000 miles from home causing me to have to spend three nights in a hotel while a dealer ordered a replacement. Unacceptable! The next issue was the computer telling the power steering to stop working. Another computer glitch finished me. I traded for a 2011 Crown Vic. I'm much happier. Hitler was Bavarian too.

The End of a Beautiful Relationship
By nashvegasbmw on 01/21/13 05:42 AM (PST)

2011 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

I have owned at least one BMW since 1974, when I bought my first - a 2002tii sedan. A 528, 530, a 330i, and a 325xi later. I considered myself a devotee. This 535xi wagon is the single-most unreliable car of any make that I have ever owned (and I've owned Jaguars and MG's). The drive-by-wire-electronically-controlled everything just doesn't work. Furthermore, the word is out on this defective car line and the resale value has PLUMMETED. And, unlike the old days, BMW Customer Service could care less. I will never buy another. I feel like a scorned lover.

2011 528 lag machine
By jkmj9999 on 01/04/13 22:12 PM (PST)

2011 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 8A)

it sucks !! don't buy it .. maybe for your grand parents .. step on the gas.. either lags or burst into speed (sport mode) from time to time.

Lots of Smiles - Update
By chasman9 on 11/01/12 21:29 PM (PDT)

2011 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Just turned 40,000 miles. After reading other reviews, I'm surprised. Not a fan of Run Flats, but the rears went 30,000 miles and I just changed the fronts, yep - 40,000 miles. Also, I have not had the car in for anything other than an Oil Change. The car has had zero defects. Still looks and handles like new and is a blast to drive (6spd Manual). If a single thing bugs me it is the phone book. Lets say you pull up a name and dial the house and there is no answer. If you want to dial the same person, only the cell, you have to start from scratch imputting the name etc.. Wish the back button worked just to take you to the other numbers for this same person.

Please read this if you are even considering buying a 535
By geomed on 04/30/12 22:49 PM (PDT)

2011 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

This is our 7th BMW over a 28 year time span. It is our LAST BMW. The car shifts very poorly from a rolling stop and just poorly from a dead stop. When I contacted BMW of NA they were very defensive and did NOTHING. This car was over $ 60,000.00 and should shift without hesitation. Let the Buyer Beware this is a car I would not buy again and it is the last car I will buy from BMW.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2011 BMW 5 Series Sedan in VA is:

$150 per month*