Used 2011 BMW 5 Series Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 BMW 5 Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

2011 535xi = Worst Car Owning Experience
By Mo

2011 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

I've always leased cars and thought I should finance for a change. I couldn't see anything wrong with that decision; figured BMW quality is top notch (German soccer), performance (autobahn), and good looking (even old German cars look sexy). In order to be safe I even ditched out 5k for extended warranty which didn't cover anything. Couple months after my purchase my tires need to be replaced. Couple weeks after that I'm merging onto the freeway and my piston blows up and takes out two cylinders with it. Twenty grand after that my thermostat breaks and I have no heat in the middle of winter (thank god for electric heated seats). Couple snowstorms after that my battery needs to be replaced

Looks. I had all the packages on my set and I got endless compliments - more than I have received for any other car. But the fun stops as soon as the maintenance bills kick in. At that point the compliments just becomes taunts to your poor decision to purchase this vehicle.

Don't finance this car - lease it instead. There's nothing in this car that'll last, sooner or later you'll replace every part. Before you know it you'll be 20k over the cost of your purchase.

Good riddance
By yossarian7

2011 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

Electric throttle + turbos = you never know what you were going to get, or when you are going to get it. Merging onto a highway was a stressful event. Seats were uncomfortable. Not enough leg room (I'm 6'1"). Run-flat tires were junk - developed bubbles and made for harsh ride. Alloy wheels were so soft, and/or car was so heavy, that it was not possible to keep the wheels "round" or in balance. HVAC temperature control never worked right (it always blows hot air). Car handled like crap - the opposite of the ultimate driving machine. The car rolled so much during a turn - usually suddenly - that it was downright scary. Car was way too heavy. I was glad to trade it in.

Well-built. Solid. X drive worked great in snow. Decent gas mileage. Free dealer maintenance during warranty.

Needs: to shed weight; better throttle/turbo mapping; two-inches of additional front-seat leg room; drop run-flats; HVAC that works.

RIP 550xi
By bmwowner30

2011 BMW 5 Series Sedan 550i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (4.4L 8cyl Turbo 8A)

Nice car, albeit a bit overpriced, however there is something seriously wrong with this engine. After about 40,000 miles (still under warranty), POOF the engine blew up and caught fire. The problem started with a chassis stabilization malfunction error and the car went into limp mode where you cannot exceed 11mph. After a mile of driving, car engine started to smoke up. After shutting off engine, car engine eventually ignited. Prior yo the fire, I would receive random errors in the battery and noticed burning oil smell. Anyway, although I am a bmw lover, I'm not sure I see a new bmw in my future unless bmw 'makes it right' and incentivises me to buy another one.

Interior design and luxury features (heads up display, heated steering, etc)

An engine that doesn't try to kill me.

Poor Tires equipped for the 5 series
By jackz1

2011 BMW 5 Series Sedan 550i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (4.4L 8cyl Turbo 8A)

I'm a BMW fan and had several BMW cars bought or leased from BMW dealers before this 550I leased in Sept 2011 from Nick Alexander Imports in LA. No problem with BMW cars before this 550I which we had replaced 3 run flat tires within 7 months of lease with the same problem-internal cuts on tires. This is really unusual as I never had this tire issue with other BMW cars before. I filed a complaint with the dealer from which I leased the car but was told driver was responsible for tires.

Need to assess the tires to see if this kind of tires are fit for the 550I and should be equipped with this model.

I've driven the compettors and I'm happy I bought the BMW
By rdpalmercu

2011 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 8A)

I like the car. My parents have been mercedes fans since I was 16. Two s classes at one point for awhile. But I drive my father cls 550 and it is no more fun to drive and have a young family (2 & 4) than either the s- class which has the in headrest dvd players... okay, those are worth it they're nice. I have never been in position to afford such a car but I tested them all, the a6 came closest. It cost me roughly 35 with a 100k warranty, 24k miles on it when I bought it, premium package 2. Better acoustacics than the mercedes s class. Considering a new accord v-6 or maxima cost more I think it was a wise choice for an inevitabley poor investment.