2010 BMW 5 Series Consumer Review: 535i Sportwagon

2010 BMW 5 Series - Consumer Review

535i xDrive Wagon (3.0L 6-cyl. Twin-turbo AWD 6-speed Manual)

535i Sportwagon
By MichiganMike1 on

2010 BMW 5 Series 535i xDrive 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

This 535i wagon replaced my beloved 2003 BMW 530i. The wagon provides the additional rear seat leg room and cargo space I was seeking but handles much like a BMW sedan. The additional weight of the wagon and xDrive is hardly noticeable with the turbocharged engine. I also prefer the appearance of the rear of the wagon to the 5 series sedan. The interior is finished to a higher standard, the seats are more comfortable and the panoramic sunroof provides a sensation of openness relative to my old 530i. The i-Drive linked to the navigation screen is much more user friendly than in previous versions. The standard audio system with Sirius sounds very good.

Favorite Features

Responsive engine, very good handling and ride with standard suspension, panoramic sunroof, versatile i-Drive. very good audio quality. auto dimming mirrors, excellent headlights. With fewer than 1000 5 series wagons sold annually in the U.S., this is not a car you will see often.

Suggested Improvements

Fuel economy is fair for a powerful and heavy vehicle, but a diesel option in the US would have been nice. Should include a temperature gauge or coolant temperature read-out in i-Drive. Sorry to see BMW end import of the 5 series wagon. The 5 series GT is not an alternative for me.