My Last BMW
By nashvegasbmw on
2010 BMW 5 Series 535i xDrive 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)
I am very sad to say, this is the last BMW I will ever own unless they change direction. There has always been at least one BMW in my garage since I bought my first, a brand new 1974 2002tii. This wagon is one of those cars that is a dream to drive and a nightmare to own. The turbocharged engine and the automatic transmission wonderful to drive - a THRILL even. It is capable of eating up huge stretches of road and dropping drivers and and passengers at their destination refreshed and invigorated. The desire recently exhibited by BMW to cram as much computerized silliness into their cars as they can imagine is unnecessary and infuriating.
Favorite Features
Above all, this is a drivers car. This engine (3.0 turbo) is a dream. While getting exceptional fuel mileage, it can deliver stunning performance - it can actually embarrass some serious performance cars. The transmission (particularly in Sport mode) is ALWAYS in the right gear. Every time I think about getting rid of this car, I drive it and change my mind. Interior is understated elegance. Exterior appearance is pleasant if unexceptional. The all wheel drive system is flawless, always there when it's needed, and never restrictive - only noticeable in the tightest of u-turns on paved surfaces. A wagon actually worth its high acquisition cost.
Suggested Improvements
As a regular buyer throughout BMW's evolution, I watched the marques evolution with a wary eye but remained loyal. This over-computerized, badly styled, and completely unreliable variant is my last - unless BMW changes direction. Best engines and transmissions of ANY make of car. I-Drive (refer to as I-Crash) is the least intuitive device ever designed. Failure after failure of electronic systems will guarantee a trade before the warranty expires. Car has been towed to dealer 9 times. Neither my wife nor I trust this car anymore, and it has less than 30,000 miles on it. It's easier to run my business than it is to operate the ridiculous heater in this car. I quit.