Used 2010 BMW 5 Series Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2010 BMW 5 Series Sedan

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

Best Sports Sedan
By scott

2010 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Searched high and low and could not find another vehicle that compared in terms of performance and pricing. Lexus is nice, but it is a completely different driving experience. The seat comfort of my sport model remains the best i have ever owned, and I've owned the infiniti q45, j30, Lexus gs, Saab, Volvo etc.

Favorite Features

ipod connection with heads up display

Suggested Improvements

Dual climate control requires manual adjustment of both zones - there is no dual setting; no a/c seats.

528xi
By hawk

2010 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

First time BMW owner, a solid car, fun to drive, break is strong and smooth, precision steering, communicative road feel, wish had 535i, power is okay, but feel a little weak when loaded with 5 people, Navigation told me to get off every exit on NJ TPK for no reason and then get back on no matter what mode I select. One time when fuel was low, the car was driving rough and jumping on the road, stopped the car, refueled, and restart - the problem run away.

Favorite Features

iDrive, voice recognition, comfortable seat, programmable buttons

Suggested Improvements

cup holder, center console

Truly the ultimate driving machine
By Wonder machine

2010 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

This is my first BMW 535i, I have to say it truly deserves the ultimate driving machine title. The power is unbelievable and hard to stay on speed limit, handling is superb, reliability so far is too soon but no issues so far,this car can challenge easily anyone who doubt its power.

Favorite Features

Turbo engine sound,sound system,steering feel.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders.

2010 550i M Sport - It growls
By Martin

2010 BMW 5 Series Sedan 550i 4dr Sedan (4.8L 8cyl 6M)

I also own a 2000 540i. So my expectations of the 2010 550i were pretty high. It had to be the same or better. My expectations have been met. It's carbon black with cream interior includes all the M sport trims you can get. It's an excellent vehicle and fun to drive. If my wife asks me to get milk and eggs, I'll do it 2 trips. The vehicle with it's 19" wheels rides on rails, a notable growl can be expected from the mufflers after 4000rpm. Surprisingly smooth suspension. Has many hidden features not all described in the brochure. As with my older one, it's 10 years ahead of its time.

Favorite Features

The side adjustments to your back, thigh adjustment, heated seats that allow you to control the blend from behind to back, heated steering wheel, ski bag, definitely the i-drive, parking distance sensors front and back, electric retractable mirrors, electric rear blind, comfort access, new car smell :)

Suggested Improvements

Unlike the 2000 540i, it does not have an engine temperature gauge. Not even on the i-drive vehicle info/status. No full size spare. CODE function to lock out vehicle is no longer available. Little $3 Allen wrench to open/close sunroof manually in case of emergency is sold separately.

Problems Arise
By Ira

2010 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Just before the 4000 mile mark, I noticed oil drips on my garage floor. I made a service appointment, and the next day, after being out overnite in a snowstorm, it had a hard time starting, and then driving at speed, the "engine malfunction - reduce power" warning lite came on. We were near a BMW dealer so stopped there - they diagnosed the engine warning as a fuel pressure sensor failure; and they could not precisely diagnose the oil leak, saying that the transmission will have to be removed to see where it is leaking. The work requires sending pictures and documentation to Germany for repair authorization, so i can expect to be without the car for up to a week. Unacceptable reliability.