2010 BMW 5 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:
Problems Arise
By Ira on 02/18/10 15:04 PM (PST)

2010 BMW 5 Series 535i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Just before the 4000 mile mark, I noticed oil drips on my garage floor. I made a service appointment, and the next day, after being out overnite in a snowstorm, it had a hard time starting, and then driving at speed, the "engine malfunction - reduce power" warning lite came on. We were near a BMW dealer so stopped there - they diagnosed the engine warning as a fuel pressure sensor failure; and they could not precisely diagnose the oil leak, saying that the transmission will have to be removed to see where it is leaking. The work requires sending pictures and documentation to Germany for repair authorization, so i can expect to be without the car for up to a week. Unacceptable reliability.

Engine Malfunction
By Darrell on 02/12/10 11:24 AM (PST)

2010 BMW 5 Series 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

This is the third BMW that I have owned (335i and 2 ea 535i's) I have had the engine malfunction light come on and have lost power. You can stop the car and then restart it and it may be ok for awhile but the same problem will return. The dealer has been able to fix the problem quickly on both of the times that I have had the problem, it was a bad fuel pump. lower grade gas will also cause the problem with the injectors. Other than that the cars have been great.

Super handling and performance
By Solid handling on 02/09/10 10:45 AM (PST)

2010 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This car drives like it is on rails, glued to road and challenges sharp turns. No issues with reliability so far and love driving it everyday. Looks are great and car stands out. Wish I got the 535i but still satisfied with power it offers.

I like !
By JC on 02/03/10 22:19 PM (PST)

2010 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Never had a Bimmer before. Testdrove a fully loaded 535i first. Then got into a 528i. Perfect balance of comfort and performance ! Ride is firm but never harsh. Handling and body control very precise. I was sold. Took one home that night and I'm enjoying every minute in it. Got a good deal since it's an outgoing model. Cannot comment on reliability issues since it only has a few miles, but for a fine car like this, I wouldn't mind switching to a new one every three years ! I think I am done with Japanese cars for good.

BMW Fan Disappointed
By Chris on 01/24/10 17:22 PM (PST)

2010 BMW 5 Series 535i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

This is my third BMW. The car handles as expected and offers the joy and experience BMW owners have come to expect. However, the reliability on this vehicle is unacceptable. First, I had a fuel pump failure. I noticed several slow starts, took it in and they found a fault with the fuel pump. Next, I was accelerating hard when the engine lost power and the message "Engine Malfunction: Reduced Power" displayed. So far, the dealer things it's a software issue. I love these cars, but reliability is sub-par. If BMW doesn't resolve their reliability issues, I purchased my last one.

Engine Misfire Light
By John on 01/13/10 09:06 AM (PST)

2010 BMW 5 Series 535i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I have owned this vehicle since August of 2009 and during the first 2000 miles the engine misfire light went on and the manual instructed to immediately go to a service center before damage to the catalytic converter occurs. I was told that it was not a problem and that the light just needed to be reset. Then at 4200 miles it went on again and the engine reduced the power so that the car would barely start. It is now back in the shop for repairs. When this car performs it is perfect. However, I am sincerely disappointed with the reliability of this car. Let's face it, being able to rely on a car to take you where you need to go is the only really necessary feature.

535i with M-Sport
By gene1680 on 11/14/09 22:43 PM (PST)

2010 BMW 5 Series 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

A great car. A right blend of sportiness and luxury. The only thing I find less satisfying is the shifter (small knob and the parking button) but this is a small thing in comparison to all the great things about this car.

Worth the Wait-Factory Order-6sp Manual
By Ian T on 11/11/09 04:21 AM (PST)

2010 BMW 5 Series 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Replacement vehicle for a 2008 535xi wagon with engine hesitation issues. This sedan is perfect however, after a month. Optioned w/manual trans, value pack, cold wx pack, Sat radio, fold rear seats, and nav. The turbo motor/manual trans combo is flawless. Ample, smooth power w/lots of torque early. Great clutch. Standard tires and suspension sublime over all surfaces and silent on highway. Handling tight and neutral-no drama. DSC kicks in too early but is defeatable. Much less ponderous than wagon. Interior is artwork. Newest idrive much friendlier than 08. Cup holders still too small. Front pax one will break if left open and long legger gets in. 20mpg city. Overall beautiful in and out!

BMW xi 2010
By gregoryx on 09/29/09 23:15 PM (PDT)

2010 BMW 5 Series 535i xDrive 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

this is my 2nd 535xi. bought my first after considering + test driving infiniti,lexus,volvo,buick. i found the bmw to be a more pleasurable drive than all of them. it's nice to know that you are in a vehicle that seems engineered for the driver. it's the best vehicle i've owned. i highly recommend this vehicle. i also have lived in 3 states in the past 4 years and i have to say that the service experience has been excellent in every dealership so far. the service departments seem to understand the value of customer service as part of the consumer's brand loyalty. cup holders don't bother me - i don't eat in my car nor do i let my kids (smile) so no big deal

BMW xi 2010
By gregoryx on 09/29/09 21:58 PM (PDT)

2010 BMW 5 Series 535i xDrive 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

In 2008 i test drove the GS300, MB Eclass, Buick Lacross, Infiniti, and the Volvo S80 and saved the BMW for last. i loved the vehicle and purchased my first BMW . . . i didn't appreciate the logistical difficulty of operating a vehicle with both a push button start AND a key. i loved the vehicle, the build quality, and the performance. A few weeks ago, i decided to give myself a gift and i bought the 2010 model with the comfort access, sat radio, and active cruise control. i took delivery a few days ago and this vehicle is even better than the 2008 model. the I drive interface is vastly improved and much more intuitive than my 08 model . . . and the voice recognition works much better

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2010 BMW 5 Series in NJ is:

$257 per month*