2010 BMW 5 Series Consumer Reviews 3

2010 BMW 5 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:
528xi
By hawk on 02/26/10 17:20 PM (PST)

2010 BMW 5 Series 528i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

First time BMW owner, a solid car, fun to drive, break is strong and smooth, precision steering, communicative road feel, wish had 535i, power is okay, but feel a little weak when loaded with 5 people, Navigation told me to get off every exit on NJ TPK for no reason and then get back on no matter what mode I select. One time when fuel was low, the car was driving rough and jumping on the road, stopped the car, refueled, and restart - the problem run away.

Truly the ultimate driving machine
By Wonder machine on 02/24/10 07:32 AM (PST)

2010 BMW 5 Series 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

This is my first BMW 535i, I have to say it truly deserves the ultimate driving machine title. The power is unbelievable and hard to stay on speed limit, handling is superb, reliability so far is too soon but no issues so far,this car can challenge easily anyone who doubt its power.

2010 550i M Sport - It growls
By Martin on 02/22/10 16:16 PM (PST)

2010 BMW 5 Series 550i 4dr Sedan (4.8L 8cyl 6M)

I also own a 2000 540i. So my expectations of the 2010 550i were pretty high. It had to be the same or better. My expectations have been met. It's carbon black with cream interior includes all the M sport trims you can get. It's an excellent vehicle and fun to drive. If my wife asks me to get milk and eggs, I'll do it 2 trips. The vehicle with it's 19" wheels rides on rails, a notable growl can be expected from the mufflers after 4000rpm. Surprisingly smooth suspension. Has many hidden features not all described in the brochure. As with my older one, it's 10 years ahead of its time.

Problems Arise
By Ira on 02/18/10 15:04 PM (PST)

2010 BMW 5 Series 535i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Just before the 4000 mile mark, I noticed oil drips on my garage floor. I made a service appointment, and the next day, after being out overnite in a snowstorm, it had a hard time starting, and then driving at speed, the "engine malfunction - reduce power" warning lite came on. We were near a BMW dealer so stopped there - they diagnosed the engine warning as a fuel pressure sensor failure; and they could not precisely diagnose the oil leak, saying that the transmission will have to be removed to see where it is leaking. The work requires sending pictures and documentation to Germany for repair authorization, so i can expect to be without the car for up to a week. Unacceptable reliability.

Engine Malfunction
By Darrell on 02/12/10 11:24 AM (PST)

2010 BMW 5 Series 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

This is the third BMW that I have owned (335i and 2 ea 535i's) I have had the engine malfunction light come on and have lost power. You can stop the car and then restart it and it may be ok for awhile but the same problem will return. The dealer has been able to fix the problem quickly on both of the times that I have had the problem, it was a bad fuel pump. lower grade gas will also cause the problem with the injectors. Other than that the cars have been great.

Super handling and performance
By Solid handling on 02/09/10 10:45 AM (PST)

2010 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This car drives like it is on rails, glued to road and challenges sharp turns. No issues with reliability so far and love driving it everyday. Looks are great and car stands out. Wish I got the 535i but still satisfied with power it offers.

I like !
By JC on 02/03/10 22:19 PM (PST)

2010 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Never had a Bimmer before. Testdrove a fully loaded 535i first. Then got into a 528i. Perfect balance of comfort and performance ! Ride is firm but never harsh. Handling and body control very precise. I was sold. Took one home that night and I'm enjoying every minute in it. Got a good deal since it's an outgoing model. Cannot comment on reliability issues since it only has a few miles, but for a fine car like this, I wouldn't mind switching to a new one every three years ! I think I am done with Japanese cars for good.

BMW Fan Disappointed
By Chris on 01/24/10 17:22 PM (PST)

2010 BMW 5 Series 535i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

This is my third BMW. The car handles as expected and offers the joy and experience BMW owners have come to expect. However, the reliability on this vehicle is unacceptable. First, I had a fuel pump failure. I noticed several slow starts, took it in and they found a fault with the fuel pump. Next, I was accelerating hard when the engine lost power and the message "Engine Malfunction: Reduced Power" displayed. So far, the dealer things it's a software issue. I love these cars, but reliability is sub-par. If BMW doesn't resolve their reliability issues, I purchased my last one.

Engine Misfire Light
By John on 01/13/10 09:06 AM (PST)

2010 BMW 5 Series 535i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I have owned this vehicle since August of 2009 and during the first 2000 miles the engine misfire light went on and the manual instructed to immediately go to a service center before damage to the catalytic converter occurs. I was told that it was not a problem and that the light just needed to be reset. Then at 4200 miles it went on again and the engine reduced the power so that the car would barely start. It is now back in the shop for repairs. When this car performs it is perfect. However, I am sincerely disappointed with the reliability of this car. Let's face it, being able to rely on a car to take you where you need to go is the only really necessary feature.

535i with M-Sport
By gene1680 on 11/14/09 22:43 PM (PST)

2010 BMW 5 Series 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

A great car. A right blend of sportiness and luxury. The only thing I find less satisfying is the shifter (small knob and the parking button) but this is a small thing in comparison to all the great things about this car.