Used 2010 BMW 5 Series 535i xDrive Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

Wonder Machine
By Jason

2010 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

After reading many BMW reviews, I decided to do test drive for BMW 535i. The car is a dream machine, I did not bother trying other competitors. Handling, performance and speed are amazing. I was going to wait for 2011 but I fell in love with this design. No reliability issues so far only pure driving pleasure.

Turbo power,comfort,handling in snow (xDrive), exterior design.

Bit pricey, but worth it!

Problems Arise
By Ira

2010 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Just before the 4000 mile mark, I noticed oil drips on my garage floor. I made a service appointment, and the next day, after being out overnite in a snowstorm, it had a hard time starting, and then driving at speed, the "engine malfunction - reduce power" warning lite came on. We were near a BMW dealer so stopped there - they diagnosed the engine warning as a fuel pressure sensor failure; and they could not precisely diagnose the oil leak, saying that the transmission will have to be removed to see where it is leaking. The work requires sending pictures and documentation to Germany for repair authorization, so i can expect to be without the car for up to a week. Unacceptable reliability.

BMW Fan Disappointed
By Chris

2010 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

This is my third BMW. The car handles as expected and offers the joy and experience BMW owners have come to expect. However, the reliability on this vehicle is unacceptable. First, I had a fuel pump failure. I noticed several slow starts, took it in and they found a fault with the fuel pump. Next, I was accelerating hard when the engine lost power and the message "Engine Malfunction: Reduced Power" displayed. So far, the dealer things it's a software issue. I love these cars, but reliability is sub-par. If BMW doesn't resolve their reliability issues, I purchased my last one.

Acceleration and handling; solid feel and even the iDrive.

Reliability of electrical system and associated computer systems; nav could be more intuitive, though it's tolerable.

Engine Misfire Light
By John

2010 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I have owned this vehicle since August of 2009 and during the first 2000 miles the engine misfire light went on and the manual instructed to immediately go to a service center before damage to the catalytic converter occurs. I was told that it was not a problem and that the light just needed to be reset. Then at 4200 miles it went on again and the engine reduced the power so that the car would barely start. It is now back in the shop for repairs. When this car performs it is perfect. However, I am sincerely disappointed with the reliability of this car. Let's face it, being able to rely on a car to take you where you need to go is the only really necessary feature.

Handling and drive.

Cup holders still need improvement.

Great Car
By Ron

2010 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Have had a great time driving this car - definitely get the parking assist feature and the comfort access option - the i-drive system takes a little getting used to, but once I got a hang of the voice activation it was a cinch!

Voice activation, parking assist, head turning exterior look.

A passenger cup holder that doesn't interfere with getting in and out of the passenger seat if the holder is left extended.