Used 2010 BMW 5 Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2010 BMW 5 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

2010 BMW 528i
By oakleyg

2010 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I purchased this BMW 528i used with 37,000 miles Replaced a 2008 Honda Accord. After 1 month, I can say I cold not be happier. My daily commute is 186 miles - I am avg 29 MPG - and have seen 30.2 MPG. at avg speeds of 70 MPH it is not a X drive, for snow I purchased the THULE tire chains off amazon - used them three times. They are excellent - and very easy to install.

Comfort, heated seats, MPG, quietness compared to the Honda - I downloaded a free Decibel meter for my iPhone - the Honda was beyond annoyingly loud - 85 decibels - the 5 series is 65 decibels Trunk size good, full size spare, not run flat tires ( not a fan of these)

I use satellite radio, this car had the hookup but not the radio - was shocked to hear from the Dealer, that BMW does not have enough satellite radios for projected warranty use, so they jacked the price to $1,300 for the radio - ok, seriously - why nor one radio for the series ? The 2010 5 series has two types, and they do not have enough radios for the base 528i model - found one on eBay. Also, the voice command system - useless and annoying beyond comment.

First BMW, won't be my last
By basio

2010 BMW 5 Series 528i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I've owned this car for 9 months and have put on over 25,000 miles. I absolutely love the feel and style of this car. My daily commute is 58 miles one way, and before purchasing the 528, the drive was a chore. Now I look forward to the peaceful trek to and from work in the quiet cabin. I talk on the phone a lot in the car, and road noise is non-existent. I purchased the car with 28,000 miles, so I have over 53,000 now. I have had no reliability issues or equipment failure. Regular service (free), and the car keeps making me happy.

Nav, iDrive, hands-free voice recognition, and yes, I like the cup holders. They are suspended on the dash in front of the passenger. I prefer this to the middle console type.

Nothing significant

3 engine breakdowns already
By 2010lemon

2010 BMW 5 Series 535i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Fuel pump replaced twice. Once before recall, once after. Car lost power in two life threatening situations with children in car. Most recent engine issue has put me in a compact rental car for two weeks.... while car continues to confuse technicians.

none at his juncture

BMW needs to address this issue with honesty and fairness

Always can be better
By knot1711

2010 BMW 5 Series 535i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Great road/touring car! Have owned a total of five BMW's. Almost as fun as our Porsche! Pretty good in the snow. Turbo makes driving real fun! No reliability problems after a year.

X-Drive performs as expected, especially in bad weather. Manual sport mode livens things up. Get better than advertised gas mileage (25-28 mpg). "Night Vision" is a significant plus, but there is a learning curve, need to have human/animal ID warning light on screen.

Larger digital dashboard numbers, please. Bring the dipstick, drain plug, and temperature gauge back! Navigation system is moderately hard to use, amazing number of little quirks that result in misdirection on the road. Identify water features by name and provide more street names per view.

Unreliable, even new
By Skip

2010 BMW 5 Series 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

With less that 4000 miles the "engine malfunction-reduce power" message came on and the car would no longer start. I was only 1 mile from the dealership but it took BMW assist over two hours to organize a tow (1 pm Monday)! I was told by the dealership " we are seeing this a lot," but so far they apparently do not know how to fix it. I rated the car low on performance, build quality, and reliability for this issue. This is not the BMW "experience I was hoping for!

The handling with the sports package is wonderful.

BMW assist should at least let one know how long the wait for assistance will be. "Right Away" in this case meant 2.5 hours!