2010 BMW 5 Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:
Unreliable, even new
By Skip on 06/14/10 13:34 PM (PDT)

2010 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

With less that 4000 miles the "engine malfunction-reduce power" message came on and the car would no longer start. I was only 1 mile from the dealership but it took BMW assist over two hours to organize a tow (1 pm Monday)! I was told by the dealership " we are seeing this a lot," but so far they apparently do not know how to fix it. I rated the car low on performance, build quality, and reliability for this issue. This is not the BMW "experience I was hoping for!

BMW 535i is a wonder machine
By Steve on 03/12/10 13:07 PM (PST)

2010 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I was bit concerned with cost of this vehicle as it is more pricy than competitors. After driving it for 2 months and doing test drive for other competitors (Lexus, Audi, Infiniti) it is worth it! Solid handling and performance. The car challenges sharp turns and does not lean. 535i is a rocket on wheels,Turbo engine is a piece of art, excellent fuel consumption despite the engine size and power. Too early for reliability feedback but no issues so far

Best Sports Sedan
By scott on 03/09/10 15:53 PM (PST)

2010 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Searched high and low and could not find another vehicle that compared in terms of performance and pricing. Lexus is nice, but it is a completely different driving experience. The seat comfort of my sport model remains the best i have ever owned, and I've owned the infiniti q45, j30, Lexus gs, Saab, Volvo etc.

Truly the ultimate driving machine
By Wonder machine on 02/24/10 07:32 AM (PST)

2010 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

This is my first BMW 535i, I have to say it truly deserves the ultimate driving machine title. The power is unbelievable and hard to stay on speed limit, handling is superb, reliability so far is too soon but no issues so far,this car can challenge easily anyone who doubt its power.

Engine Malfunction
By Darrell on 02/12/10 11:24 AM (PST)

2010 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

This is the third BMW that I have owned (335i and 2 ea 535i's) I have had the engine malfunction light come on and have lost power. You can stop the car and then restart it and it may be ok for awhile but the same problem will return. The dealer has been able to fix the problem quickly on both of the times that I have had the problem, it was a bad fuel pump. lower grade gas will also cause the problem with the injectors. Other than that the cars have been great.

535i with M-Sport
By gene1680 on 11/14/09 22:43 PM (PST)

2010 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

A great car. A right blend of sportiness and luxury. The only thing I find less satisfying is the shifter (small knob and the parking button) but this is a small thing in comparison to all the great things about this car.

Worth the Wait-Factory Order-6sp Manual
By Ian T on 11/11/09 04:21 AM (PST)

2010 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Replacement vehicle for a 2008 535xi wagon with engine hesitation issues. This sedan is perfect however, after a month. Optioned w/manual trans, value pack, cold wx pack, Sat radio, fold rear seats, and nav. The turbo motor/manual trans combo is flawless. Ample, smooth power w/lots of torque early. Great clutch. Standard tires and suspension sublime over all surfaces and silent on highway. Handling tight and neutral-no drama. DSC kicks in too early but is defeatable. Much less ponderous than wagon. Interior is artwork. Newest idrive much friendlier than 08. Cup holders still too small. Front pax one will break if left open and long legger gets in. 20mpg city. Overall beautiful in and out!

Very pleased so far with 2010 535i
By Ron on 09/04/09 21:29 PM (PDT)

2010 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Special ordered it with premium package, Logix 7 audio and active steering. Been driving it a little more than a month and extremely happy. It's simply the smoothest car I've ever driven. It feels so light and nimble, yet a very comfortable ride. This may sound corny, but I have a "melting" feeling whenever I drive it! And it's so quiet, like driving an electric car, even when stomping the gas. Active steering adds a whole new dimension to driving, both at low and high speeds; I'm very glad I went for it. It's at its best doing 80 MPH on a moderately crowded freeway, zipping around other cars. And what's all this fuss about idrive and the cup holders? No problems here!

Get it now!!! I ain't going back...
By Bimm'ing happy on 09/01/09 22:50 PM (PDT)

2010 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Came from 2006 GS 300 and now into the 535i with M Sport package. What a difference! Got mine this past Wed on a lease. 1. Handling, off the line, and comfort very good. I am picky when it comes to road and general noise and so far the Dunlop run-flats are fine. 2. Fit and finish indeed are unmatched. 3. New iDrive actually is very intuitive; voice commands are natural. 4. Head up display is the coolest and should be standard on cars in this class. 5. The 20-way seats that I got "hug" me when I start the engine; picky about lumbar and it sure does not disappoint. I am so glad I went with the Bimmer; ain't going back! If you've been thinking about one like me (for a long time), go for it.

My Birthday Present
By Dave Marshall on 08/22/09 10:03 AM (PDT)

2010 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I have wanted to own a BMW for most of my adult life but thought that they were woo expensive. I have owned three Acura TLs and always thought that they were great cars. Two things happened this year to make my decision to get a 535i. First I turned 65, and secondly the new TL is ugly so I sprang for a BMW for my birthday. Thinking that if I was ever going to get a Beemer and enjoy it, I needed to do it this year. I picked it up two weeks ago yesterday. It is great. The ride is quick and positive. Steering control is excellent and balance is great. BMW even put the interior that we wanted in the car. This was a special order and filled without complaint or extra cost. I love it.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2010 BMW 5 Series Sedan in VA is:

$158 per month*