2010 BMW 5 Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:
oh the problems i've seen
By bfedwards on 07/19/14 11:45 AM (PDT)

2010 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

The direct fuel injectors have introduced a new and not insignificant problem to the engine. Coke formation is extensive. Those engine lights that start to light up anytime after say 50K miles are likely due to carbon buildup in the cylinders with the sensors going crazy as a result. Big engine lights , little engine lights, single and multiple cylinders dropping out at highway speeds, LTFT abnormalities, O2 sensor malfunction codes, cylinder misfiring codes, and on, and on. You can spend many an hour chatting with your local mechanic getting to know all about his kids and their little league activities before you get to the necessary therapy: walnut shell cylinder coke blasting! ($800!)

3 engine breakdowns already
By 2010lemon on 05/03/11 19:22 PM (PDT)

2010 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Fuel pump replaced twice. Once before recall, once after. Car lost power in two life threatening situations with children in car. Most recent engine issue has put me in a compact rental car for two weeks.... while car continues to confuse technicians.

Always can be better
By knot1711 on 09/07/10 10:02 AM (PDT)

2010 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Great road/touring car! Have owned a total of five BMW's. Almost as fun as our Porsche! Pretty good in the snow. Turbo makes driving real fun! No reliability problems after a year.

Looks good but full of bugs
By Eugene Namyotov on 05/15/10 06:03 AM (PDT)

2010 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

The best car you can own if the roads you travel every day are glass smooth. The car handles as well as BMW should and the pick up and braking is outstanding. The issue is in the electronics as for most of the owners i know, the engine light goes on and off at times, the AWD malfunction light goes off at times, once i had a turbo fail light go off and go away after a car restart. It becomes annoying that a 50k car has little bugs that were not taken care off pre-production. I have the M package and the wheels and tires that got damaged by NYC roads are not available for purchase in USA, must be ordered from Germany which takes 4 to 6 weeks. i have been waiting for a front right rim 4wks.

Wonder Machine
By Jason on 05/02/10 18:20 PM (PDT)

2010 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

After reading many BMW reviews, I decided to do test drive for BMW 535i. The car is a dream machine, I did not bother trying other competitors. Handling, performance and speed are amazing. I was going to wait for 2011 but I fell in love with this design. No reliability issues so far only pure driving pleasure.

Problems Arise
By Ira on 02/18/10 15:04 PM (PST)

2010 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Just before the 4000 mile mark, I noticed oil drips on my garage floor. I made a service appointment, and the next day, after being out overnite in a snowstorm, it had a hard time starting, and then driving at speed, the "engine malfunction - reduce power" warning lite came on. We were near a BMW dealer so stopped there - they diagnosed the engine warning as a fuel pressure sensor failure; and they could not precisely diagnose the oil leak, saying that the transmission will have to be removed to see where it is leaking. The work requires sending pictures and documentation to Germany for repair authorization, so i can expect to be without the car for up to a week. Unacceptable reliability.

BMW Fan Disappointed
By Chris on 01/24/10 17:22 PM (PST)

2010 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

This is my third BMW. The car handles as expected and offers the joy and experience BMW owners have come to expect. However, the reliability on this vehicle is unacceptable. First, I had a fuel pump failure. I noticed several slow starts, took it in and they found a fault with the fuel pump. Next, I was accelerating hard when the engine lost power and the message "Engine Malfunction: Reduced Power" displayed. So far, the dealer things it's a software issue. I love these cars, but reliability is sub-par. If BMW doesn't resolve their reliability issues, I purchased my last one.

Engine Misfire Light
By John on 01/13/10 09:06 AM (PST)

2010 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I have owned this vehicle since August of 2009 and during the first 2000 miles the engine misfire light went on and the manual instructed to immediately go to a service center before damage to the catalytic converter occurs. I was told that it was not a problem and that the light just needed to be reset. Then at 4200 miles it went on again and the engine reduced the power so that the car would barely start. It is now back in the shop for repairs. When this car performs it is perfect. However, I am sincerely disappointed with the reliability of this car. Let's face it, being able to rely on a car to take you where you need to go is the only really necessary feature.

Great Car
By Ron on 09/03/09 07:59 AM (PDT)

2010 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Have had a great time driving this car - definitely get the parking assist feature and the comfort access option - the i-drive system takes a little getting used to, but once I got a hang of the voice activation it was a cinch!

So glad I bought it!
By serfup on 08/19/09 13:23 PM (PDT)

2010 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Bought my first BMW, a 535ix about 2 months ago. Took a test drive and that was all I needed. Amazing to drive, the handling, road feel and acceleration are second to none. The interior is classic beauty without overkill. I found the i drive to be easy to use and makes getting to anything I need simple. I do not see what the fuss is with the cup holders, they offer no problems I can see and who cares the way this baby drives. I am in outside sales and the Park Distance control is great when you have to do a lot of back parking. The premium sound system is great and I must have at least 80 cds stored on the hard drive. This car exceeded my expectations. How often can you say that?

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2010 BMW 5 Series Sedan in VA is:

$134 per month*