2010 BMW 5 Series 528i Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2010 BMW 5 Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:
UNRELIABLE!!
By dmoore5 on 11/28/14 14:57 PM (PST)

2010 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought a 2010 535i xdrive used at 55,000 currently have 113,000 miles on it. I would expect some things to break at this mileage but this is ridiculous. I had to replaced the water pump in March and the starter in September. Then I got a message saying fuel pump on the screen and car would shut down. BMW replaced the electonic fuel pump on the way home I got the exact same message and car shut down. BMW then replaced the mechanical fuel pump and AGAIN car shut off with same warning. BMW then replaced the EKPS Module, now I get an Engine Malfunction-Reduce Power message and I feel like I'm in a semitruck. Can't wait to see what BMW says on Monday.

UPDATE since my last review (3/16/13)
By oakleyg on 10/13/14 13:28 PM (PDT)

2010 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Purchased used with 37,000 miles. Now have 97,400 miles. Up to this point no issues. Have been averaging 28.5 MPG. Had first issue last week, very high pitched noise and rough idle at stop. Was traced to crankcase vent. Was covered under my extended warranty for $50 deductible. Tires and brakes were new at 37,000. Still OK, will probably replace tires before snow - live in USA Northeast.

oh the problems i've seen
By bfedwards on 07/19/14 11:45 AM (PDT)

2010 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

The direct fuel injectors have introduced a new and not insignificant problem to the engine. Coke formation is extensive. Those engine lights that start to light up anytime after say 50K miles are likely due to carbon buildup in the cylinders with the sensors going crazy as a result. Big engine lights , little engine lights, single and multiple cylinders dropping out at highway speeds, LTFT abnormalities, O2 sensor malfunction codes, cylinder misfiring codes, and on, and on. You can spend many an hour chatting with your local mechanic getting to know all about his kids and their little league activities before you get to the necessary therapy: walnut shell cylinder coke blasting! ($800!)

2010 BMW 550i M Sport SAT
By champaign777 on 12/14/13 16:19 PM (PST)

2010 BMW 5 Series Sedan 550i 4dr Sedan (4.8L 8cyl 6M)

I am a BMW fun and currently have 2 E39 Bought this 2010 BMW 550i M Sport SAT a nd sold after 6 months Car had 33k miles and almost all options available. Sold it after 6 month only due to jerky SAP transmission ,- dealer helped a lot with all small "normal" BMW issues AKA steering leaks , software bugs , suspension noises , engine noises , remote key issues , yata, yata , ,same story all time BMW Well this all not a new for me but the last one with SAT which JERKS ALL TIME ON LOW SPEED was a killer Dealer said need to wait 2-3 months for a new patch from ZF and this is on the latest E60 model how nice a ?? Will never buy "auto" transmission BMW , only manual

2010 BMW 528i
By oakleyg on 03/16/13 17:48 PM (PDT)

2010 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I purchased this BMW 528i used with 37,000 miles Replaced a 2008 Honda Accord. After 1 month, I can say I cold not be happier. My daily commute is 186 miles - I am avg 29 MPG - and have seen 30.2 MPG. at avg speeds of 70 MPH it is not a X drive, for snow I purchased the THULE tire chains off amazon - used them three times. They are excellent - and very easy to install.

First BMW, won't be my last
By basio on 06/28/11 16:49 PM (PDT)

2010 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I've owned this car for 9 months and have put on over 25,000 miles. I absolutely love the feel and style of this car. My daily commute is 58 miles one way, and before purchasing the 528, the drive was a chore. Now I look forward to the peaceful trek to and from work in the quiet cabin. I talk on the phone a lot in the car, and road noise is non-existent. I purchased the car with 28,000 miles, so I have over 53,000 now. I have had no reliability issues or equipment failure. Regular service (free), and the car keeps making me happy.

3 engine breakdowns already
By 2010lemon on 05/03/11 19:22 PM (PDT)

2010 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Fuel pump replaced twice. Once before recall, once after. Car lost power in two life threatening situations with children in car. Most recent engine issue has put me in a compact rental car for two weeks.... while car continues to confuse technicians.

Always can be better
By knot1711 on 09/07/10 10:02 AM (PDT)

2010 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Great road/touring car! Have owned a total of five BMW's. Almost as fun as our Porsche! Pretty good in the snow. Turbo makes driving real fun! No reliability problems after a year.

Unreliable, even new
By Skip on 06/14/10 13:34 PM (PDT)

2010 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

With less that 4000 miles the "engine malfunction-reduce power" message came on and the car would no longer start. I was only 1 mile from the dealership but it took BMW assist over two hours to organize a tow (1 pm Monday)! I was told by the dealership " we are seeing this a lot," but so far they apparently do not know how to fix it. I rated the car low on performance, build quality, and reliability for this issue. This is not the BMW "experience I was hoping for!

Looks good but full of bugs
By Eugene Namyotov on 05/15/10 06:03 AM (PDT)

2010 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

The best car you can own if the roads you travel every day are glass smooth. The car handles as well as BMW should and the pick up and braking is outstanding. The issue is in the electronics as for most of the owners i know, the engine light goes on and off at times, the AWD malfunction light goes off at times, once i had a turbo fail light go off and go away after a car restart. It becomes annoying that a 50k car has little bugs that were not taken care off pre-production. I have the M package and the wheels and tires that got damaged by NYC roads are not available for purchase in USA, must be ordered from Germany which takes 4 to 6 weeks. i have been waiting for a front right rim 4wks.