Used 2010 BMW 5 Series 535i xDrive Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

My Last BMW
By nashvegasbmw

2010 BMW 5 Series 535i xDrive 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I am very sad to say, this is the last BMW I will ever own unless they change direction. There has always been at least one BMW in my garage since I bought my first, a brand new 1974 2002tii. This wagon is one of those cars that is a dream to drive and a nightmare to own. The turbocharged engine and the automatic transmission wonderful to drive - a THRILL even. It is capable of eating up huge stretches of road and dropping drivers and and passengers at their destination refreshed and invigorated. The desire recently exhibited by BMW to cram as much computerized silliness into their cars as they can imagine is unnecessary and infuriating.

Favorite Features

Above all, this is a drivers car. This engine (3.0 turbo) is a dream. While getting exceptional fuel mileage, it can deliver stunning performance - it can actually embarrass some serious performance cars. The transmission (particularly in Sport mode) is ALWAYS in the right gear. Every time I think about getting rid of this car, I drive it and change my mind. Interior is understated elegance. Exterior appearance is pleasant if unexceptional. The all wheel drive system is flawless, always there when it's needed, and never restrictive - only noticeable in the tightest of u-turns on paved surfaces. A wagon actually worth its high acquisition cost.

Suggested Improvements

As a regular buyer throughout BMW's evolution, I watched the marques evolution with a wary eye but remained loyal. This over-computerized, badly styled, and completely unreliable variant is my last - unless BMW changes direction. Best engines and transmissions of ANY make of car. I-Drive (refer to as I-Crash) is the least intuitive device ever designed. Failure after failure of electronic systems will guarantee a trade before the warranty expires. Car has been towed to dealer 9 times. Neither my wife nor I trust this car anymore, and it has less than 30,000 miles on it. It's easier to run my business than it is to operate the ridiculous heater in this car. I quit.

No Substitute
By svenminneapple

2010 BMW 5 Series 535i xDrive 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Needed a wagon for its utility value. Wanted the BMW for its performance and fun value. This vehicle delivers in both departments. I look forward to driving to work and sometimes take the long route home to spend a few more minutes behind the wheel. This car simply kills the SUV on drivability. Too bad most Americans look at wagons as their grandparent's cars.

Favorite Features

IDrive, Excellent Nav, Comfort Access

Suggested Improvements

Standard seats could use some bolstering

Love It
By Bob Whalen

2010 BMW 5 Series 535i xDrive 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

This is simply the best car in the world. It handles like a sport coupe, super quite, and its safe. I can't see why BMW's putting it out of production. It's by far the best car in their lineup and there getting rid of it?

Favorite Features

Everything.

Suggested Improvements

Bring it back next year. Offer massaging and cooled seats, heated and cooled cup holders, reclining rear seats, and adaptive headlights. Refrigerator, chrome door handles and grille, rear entertainment system (dual screens). Cooled steering wheel, front and rear park assist, and Diesel Option.

535i Sportwagon
By MichiganMike1

2010 BMW 5 Series 535i xDrive 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

This 535i wagon replaced my beloved 2003 BMW 530i. The wagon provides the additional rear seat leg room and cargo space I was seeking but handles much like a BMW sedan. The additional weight of the wagon and xDrive is hardly noticeable with the turbocharged engine. I also prefer the appearance of the rear of the wagon to the 5 series sedan. The interior is finished to a higher standard, the seats are more comfortable and the panoramic sunroof provides a sensation of openness relative to my old 530i. The i-Drive linked to the navigation screen is much more user friendly than in previous versions. The standard audio system with Sirius sounds very good.

Favorite Features

Responsive engine, very good handling and ride with standard suspension, panoramic sunroof, versatile i-Drive. very good audio quality. auto dimming mirrors, excellent headlights. With fewer than 1000 5 series wagons sold annually in the U.S., this is not a car you will see often.

Suggested Improvements

Fuel economy is fair for a powerful and heavy vehicle, but a diesel option in the US would have been nice. Should include a temperature gauge or coolant temperature read-out in i-Drive. Sorry to see BMW end import of the 5 series wagon. The 5 series GT is not an alternative for me.

BMW xi 2010
By gregoryx

2010 BMW 5 Series 535i xDrive 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

this is my 2nd 535xi. bought my first after considering + test driving infiniti,lexus,volvo,buick. i found the bmw to be a more pleasurable drive than all of them. it's nice to know that you are in a vehicle that seems engineered for the driver. it's the best vehicle i've owned. i highly recommend this vehicle. i also have lived in 3 states in the past 4 years and i have to say that the service experience has been excellent in every dealership so far. the service departments seem to understand the value of customer service as part of the consumer's brand loyalty. cup holders don't bother me - i don't eat in my car nor do i let my kids (smile) so no big deal

Favorite Features

comfort access, voice control works much better in 2010 than 2008 model, sat radio

Suggested Improvements

ipod interface in storage area is incovenient and difficult to access. dealer installed option puts in glove compartment. either way, there should be better place for it.