Used 2010 BMW 5 Series Consumer Reviews - 44 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2010 BMW 5 Series

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

I Remain Pleased
By Alan Scheufler

2010 BMW 5 Series 528i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

@6 months
By Irvin, Lapell

2010 BMW 5 Series 535i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

2010 BMW purchased in 8/15 with 80k....love it, love it.....I traded in a 2006 azera bought new, but caught a little deer damage and never quite felt the same....went in to buy a Audi, left with the bimmer.....for a 5 year old car, it was a better driver than my Hyundai was new.....the ride is incredible the handling is fantastic....it original sticker was 57k and I got it for 17k.....I don't know if I lucked up and made a good find, but for 17k I'm very satisfied.....oh and the power is bone chilling for a sedan....

UNRELIABLE!!
By dmoore5

2010 BMW 5 Series 535i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought a 2010 535i xdrive used at 55,000 currently have 113,000 miles on it. I would expect some things to break at this mileage but this is ridiculous. I had to replaced the water pump in March and the starter in September. Then I got a message saying fuel pump on the screen and car would shut down. BMW replaced the electonic fuel pump on the way home I got the exact same message and car shut down. BMW then replaced the mechanical fuel pump and AGAIN car shut off with same warning. BMW then replaced the EKPS Module, now I get an Engine Malfunction-Reduce Power message and I feel like I'm in a semitruck. Can't wait to see what BMW says on Monday.

Build it so it drives and I don't have to take out a second mortgage! Very disappointed with the quality of BMW.

UPDATE since my last review (3/16/13)
By oakleyg

2010 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I had reached 105,000 miles. Started having issues with performance, then the engine ran extremely rough. Engine would start, but would stall. The issue was traced to the VANOS system - the hydraulic controller for valve timing. There are two VANOS solenoids - they were replaced, car ran fine for about 1,500 miles. The Problem returned, the dealer said it was the VANOS pumps, needed to be replaced. This is a very common problem with this generation of the BMW 6CYL. A costly repair. BMW has been forced to extend the warranty on this generation of 6 CYL engines due to the high VANOS failure rate over 100K miles. I was able to get most of my money reimbursed by BMW, filled out the VANOS repair recovery form - was initially rejected, but after several calls to BMW customer service I was able to the the reimbursement. It's worth the phone calls, it's your money and this is clearly a poor design.

For those who would like more information on VANOS, rebuilt VANOS pumps or repair guides - http://www.drvanos.com

Purchased used with 37,000 miles. Now have 97,400 miles. Up to this point no issues. Have been averaging 28.5 MPG. Had first issue last week, very high pitched noise and rough idle at stop. Was traced to crankcase vent. Was covered under my extended warranty for $50 deductible. Tires and brakes were new at 37,000. Still OK, will probably replace tires before snow - live in USA Northeast.

oh the problems i've seen
By bfedwards

2010 BMW 5 Series 535i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

The direct fuel injectors have introduced a new and not insignificant problem to the engine. Coke formation is extensive. Those engine lights that start to light up anytime after say 50K miles are likely due to carbon buildup in the cylinders with the sensors going crazy as a result. Big engine lights , little engine lights, single and multiple cylinders dropping out at highway speeds, LTFT abnormalities, O2 sensor malfunction codes, cylinder misfiring codes, and on, and on.
You can spend many an hour chatting with your local mechanic getting to know all about his kids and their little league activities before you get to the necessary therapy: walnut shell cylinder coke blasting! ($800!)

What a beast when functional. But I don't need it to sit in the drive way for me to listen to music and go "zoom...zoom " as a 5 year old in the driver's seat of mommy's car. I need it to transport me as well.....reliably...without fear of failure.....after replacing fuel pump x 1, tail light assembly x 2, O2 sensor x 1, manifold intake sensor x1, fuel injector x 3, coil pack x 1, plugs x 6, carbon blasting x 1; all between 60 and 95k miles. Do yourself a favor. When the lights start to go on, do the carbon blasting first. Then start to replace the parts!

Serious re-engineering for the direct fuel injection system needs to occur &/or BMW needs to include a free carbon blasting every 50k miles for the duration of the automobile's existence.