Used 2010 BMW 5 Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2010 BMW 5 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

UNRELIABLE!!
By dmoore5

2010 BMW 5 Series 535i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought a 2010 535i xdrive used at 55,000 currently have 113,000 miles on it. I would expect some things to break at this mileage but this is ridiculous. I had to replaced the water pump in March and the starter in September. Then I got a message saying fuel pump on the screen and car would shut down. BMW replaced the electonic fuel pump on the way home I got the exact same message and car shut down. BMW then replaced the mechanical fuel pump and AGAIN car shut off with same warning. BMW then replaced the EKPS Module, now I get an Engine Malfunction-Reduce Power message and I feel like I'm in a semitruck. Can't wait to see what BMW says on Monday.

Build it so it drives and I don't have to take out a second mortgage! Very disappointed with the quality of BMW.

UPDATE since my last review (3/16/13)
By oakleyg

2010 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Purchased used with 37,000 miles. Now have 97,400 miles. Up to this point no issues. Have been averaging 28.5 MPG. Had first issue last week, very high pitched noise and rough idle at stop. Was traced to crankcase vent. Was covered under my extended warranty for $50 deductible. Tires and brakes were new at 37,000. Still OK, will probably replace tires before snow - live in USA Northeast.

With almost 100K, the car is just solid. Comfortable, my commute is 186 miles roundtrip daily. This car loves the highway. Acceptable gas mileage and reasonable features for a 2010. I like the driving dynamics, really enjoy driving on the back country roads near my house; just a pleasurable/fun ride.

My only suggestion of you are considering a used 5 series of this model; folding rear seats was an option. I do not have them and find this very annoying when I need to carry large packages or when traveling. I did not realize this until I had the car for about a month and went to fold down the rear seats. I do not have NAV, but bluetooth for phone works well, not stream media just phone over bluetooth.

oh the problems i've seen
By bfedwards

2010 BMW 5 Series 535i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

The direct fuel injectors have introduced a new and not insignificant problem to the engine. Coke formation is extensive. Those engine lights that start to light up anytime after say 50K miles are likely due to carbon buildup in the cylinders with the sensors going crazy as a result. Big engine lights , little engine lights, single and multiple cylinders dropping out at highway speeds, LTFT abnormalities, O2 sensor malfunction codes, cylinder misfiring codes, and on, and on. You can spend many an hour chatting with your local mechanic getting to know all about his kids and their little league activities before you get to the necessary therapy: walnut shell cylinder coke blasting! ($800!)

What a beast when functional. But I don't need it to sit in the drive way for me to listen to music and go "zoom...zoom " as a 5 year old in the driver's seat of mommy's car. I need it to transport me as well.....reliably...without fear of failure.....after replacing fuel pump x 1, tail light assembly x 2, O2 sensor x 1, manifold intake sensor x1, fuel injector x 3, coil pack x 1, plugs x 6, carbon blasting x 1; all between 60 and 95k miles. Do yourself a favor. When the lights start to go on, do the carbon blasting first. Then start to replace the parts!

Serious re-engineering for the direct fuel injection system needs to occur &/or BMW needs to include a free carbon blasting every 50k miles for the duration of the automobile's existence.

2010 BMW 550i M Sport SAT
By champaign777

2010 BMW 5 Series 550i 4dr Sedan (4.8L 8cyl 6M)

I am a BMW fun and currently have 2 E39 Bought this 2010 BMW 550i M Sport SAT a nd sold after 6 months Car had 33k miles and almost all options available. Sold it after 6 month only due to jerky SAP transmission ,- dealer helped a lot with all small "normal" BMW issues AKA steering leaks , software bugs , suspension noises , engine noises , remote key issues , yata, yata , ,same story all time BMW Well this all not a new for me but the last one with SAT which JERKS ALL TIME ON LOW SPEED was a killer Dealer said need to wait 2-3 months for a new patch from ZF and this is on the latest E60 model how nice a ?? Will never buy "auto" transmission BMW , only manual

head up display

BMW your ZF transmission is a peace of crap Make your own transmissions like MB do !

My Last BMW
By nashvegasbmw

2010 BMW 5 Series 535i xDrive 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I am very sad to say, this is the last BMW I will ever own unless they change direction. There has always been at least one BMW in my garage since I bought my first, a brand new 1974 2002tii. This wagon is one of those cars that is a dream to drive and a nightmare to own. The turbocharged engine and the automatic transmission wonderful to drive - a THRILL even. It is capable of eating up huge stretches of road and dropping drivers and and passengers at their destination refreshed and invigorated. The desire recently exhibited by BMW to cram as much computerized silliness into their cars as they can imagine is unnecessary and infuriating.

Above all, this is a drivers car. This engine (3.0 turbo) is a dream. While getting exceptional fuel mileage, it can deliver stunning performance - it can actually embarrass some serious performance cars. The transmission (particularly in Sport mode) is ALWAYS in the right gear. Every time I think about getting rid of this car, I drive it and change my mind. Interior is understated elegance. Exterior appearance is pleasant if unexceptional. The all wheel drive system is flawless, always there when it's needed, and never restrictive - only noticeable in the tightest of u-turns on paved surfaces. A wagon actually worth its high acquisition cost.

As a regular buyer throughout BMW's evolution, I watched the marques evolution with a wary eye but remained loyal. This over-computerized, badly styled, and completely unreliable variant is my last - unless BMW changes direction. Best engines and transmissions of ANY make of car. I-Drive (refer to as I-Crash) is the least intuitive device ever designed. Failure after failure of electronic systems will guarantee a trade before the warranty expires. Car has been towed to dealer 9 times. Neither my wife nor I trust this car anymore, and it has less than 30,000 miles on it. It's easier to run my business than it is to operate the ridiculous heater in this car. I quit.