Are you willing to trade the good for the bad?
By subdsgnr on
2009 BMW 5 Series 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)
My 535i came with the sport package, which does improve handling--especially the active roll bar in the rear. This car rides almost like an Avalon in a straight line, but has almost ZERO body roll on a turn. Really amazing handling. The turbo engine is very impressive as well. HOWEVER, you cannot change your battery on your own. The dealer MUST do it. Seriously--I'm a DIY car guy. Also, I just had two injectors replaced at 20K MILES. BMW forum people act like the injectors are SUPPOSED to go out because they're just such "high performance", but I've had 3 Lexuses with direct inject and had ZERO problems. On top of reliability being spotty, the dealer treated me like a pariah.
Favorite Features
Suspension, engine (when working), and seats are really great. I really don't think there is a better suspension out there than the one with the sport package.
Suggested Improvements
Ergonomics are poor compared with Lexus. iDrive is maddening, just as pro critics say. Dealer service is VERY poor for a luxury brand. Again, Lexus is stellar in this regard. You'd think you'd get treated better for forking over 60 grand. BMWs have the double lock door feature and push-button start that still requires a key to be placed in the steering column, both of which are asinine. Annoys everyone who rides with me. There are so many drawbacks when compared with my experiences with Acura, Honda, Toyota, and Lexus that I personally wouldn't trade the amazing handling for the headaches, which is saying a lot because I'm always willing to sacrifice for performance. What about you?