2009 BMW 5 Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:
Realistic review for people who want to buy a used 535i
By rob2388 on 12/17/13 11:00 AM (PST)

2009 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought my 2009 535i with sport/cold/light packages with 49k miles. First make sure you find the service records on the car so you know what you will be facing. THIS CAR IS NOT A MAINTENANCE FREE CAR LIKE TOYOTA! With that being said, there is a lot of 'common' issues with this car. Gasket leaks, the HPFP (high pressure fuel pump) and one of the taillights have recalls so make sure you have the new HPFP. Water pump also goes to shit after about 50k miles i read so that is something i'm looking forward to. This is not a smooth car like Mercedes, you will feel the road. Other than that, the car can take serious curves, and the twin turbos make the car go!

Are you willing to trade the good for the bad?
By subdsgnr on 04/30/12 16:48 PM (PDT)

2009 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

My 535i came with the sport package, which does improve handling--especially the active roll bar in the rear. This car rides almost like an Avalon in a straight line, but has almost ZERO body roll on a turn. Really amazing handling. The turbo engine is very impressive as well. HOWEVER, you cannot change your battery on your own. The dealer MUST do it. Seriously--I'm a DIY car guy. Also, I just had two injectors replaced at 20K MILES. BMW forum people act like the injectors are SUPPOSED to go out because they're just such "high performance", but I've had 3 Lexuses with direct inject and had ZERO problems. On top of reliability being spotty, the dealer treated me like a pariah.

Fuel System
By Disappointed on 09/28/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Great car, but the problems with the fuel system are ridiculous. 4th time it has been in, reprogrammed software, new software, new fuel pump. This is a serious safety issue as the car will not get fuel and will stop or lose acceleration. BMW needs to take this seriously.

Unreliable
By BMW Lemon on 06/14/10 03:20 AM (PDT)

2009 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

The car was awesome at first but then came the problems the fuel system replaced 3 times. The car continues to have fuel delivery problems. BMW told me we have extended the warranty to 10 years on the fuel system but that doesn't help when you're stranded on the road. Avoid the 135/335/535 models they are garbage. I have started the lemon law process.

Born to Run
By pjl275 on 08/30/09 17:57 PM (PDT)

2009 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Just turned in my leased '07 530xi for an '09 535i. Almost cried, as the '07 was simply an exceptional car. If it weren't for the very high buyout, I would have purchased the car. Found a new 535i with sport pkg, nav, cold weather, etc for an absolute steal. The changes from '07 are wonderful, better leather, the sport seats are thrones and they seemed to have fixed the noisy moonroof issue. Not that the '07 was underpowered, but the '09 just flies. 80 comes up quickly and its really hard to obey the owner's manual to keep it under 100 during breakin. Car is very quiet, even with the sport package and the ride is as supple (if not more) than the 530xi (non-sport). Hope to keep this car.

Wow, Great Car!!!!
By Kar Krazy on 05/22/09 12:06 PM (PDT)

2009 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Well it's been 4 years since I've owned a Beemer (02' 330i Conv. Sports), have been in a 05' Mercedes CLK500 and 97'Porsche 911 Conv. It's great to own a Beemer again, don't think I'll ever go back to a Merc (quality was sub par although engine and power were amazing). Been driving my 535I sports package for the last couple of weeks and am extremely impressed, I was worried that I would miss the power of my CLK500 but have been satisfied with my 535I twin turbo engine. Interior with black bamboo is fantastic, this is the most comfortable car I have ever been in, more than enough space and the contour seats are great. Overall handling is superb and the drive is smooth. Cabin is extremely quite.

Ultimate not considering the run flats
By dinodad on 04/04/09 06:31 AM (PDT)

2009 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Leased on 535i with 6 spd, premium, sports and cod weather package. Took off the run flats and am storing them until the end of the lease. This is the 2nd BMW I have followed this ritual. Car handles like it is on rails. Performance is sooo sweet. Previously had a 530i with manual. The extra ponies - 45 or so are noticeable and the torque comes on just above idle at 1400 and stays flat until about redline. I commute about 45 miles to work and this beemer makes going to work fun! Have had beemers since 2000 and they are the utmost fun to drive but run flats stink big time. BMW- please hear this = run flats belong on a Lexus for those who don't want to change a tire in the rain.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.