Used 2009 BMW 5 Series Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

Realistic review for people who want to buy a used 535i
By rob2388

2009 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought my 2009 535i with sport/cold/light packages with 49k miles. First make sure you find the service records on the car so you know what you will be facing. THIS CAR IS NOT A MAINTENANCE FREE CAR LIKE TOYOTA! With that being said, there is a lot of 'common' issues with this car. Gasket leaks, the HPFP (high pressure fuel pump) and one of the taillights have recalls so make sure you have the new HPFP. Water pump also goes to shit after about 50k miles i read so that is something i'm looking forward to. This is not a smooth car like Mercedes, you will feel the road. Other than that, the car can take serious curves, and the twin turbos make the car go!

Turbos, Exterior, Interior, 20 Way Power Seats, Handling (if equipped with sport package)

I say BMW should stop coming up with more advance stuff and start to perfect the technology they already have, which is already years ahead from other car manufacturers.

Are you willing to trade the good for the bad?
By subdsgnr

2009 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

My 535i came with the sport package, which does improve handling--especially the active roll bar in the rear. This car rides almost like an Avalon in a straight line, but has almost ZERO body roll on a turn. Really amazing handling. The turbo engine is very impressive as well. HOWEVER, you cannot change your battery on your own. The dealer MUST do it. Seriously--I'm a DIY car guy. Also, I just had two injectors replaced at 20K MILES. BMW forum people act like the injectors are SUPPOSED to go out because they're just such "high performance", but I've had 3 Lexuses with direct inject and had ZERO problems. On top of reliability being spotty, the dealer treated me like a pariah.

Suspension, engine (when working), and seats are really great. I really don't think there is a better suspension out there than the one with the sport package.

Ergonomics are poor compared with Lexus. iDrive is maddening, just as pro critics say. Dealer service is VERY poor for a luxury brand. Again, Lexus is stellar in this regard. You'd think you'd get treated better for forking over 60 grand. BMWs have the double lock door feature and push-button start that still requires a key to be placed in the steering column, both of which are asinine. Annoys everyone who rides with me. There are so many drawbacks when compared with my experiences with Acura, Honda, Toyota, and Lexus that I personally wouldn't trade the amazing handling for the headaches, which is saying a lot because I'm always willing to sacrifice for performance. What about you?

Fuel System
By Disappointed

2009 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Great car, but the problems with the fuel system are ridiculous. 4th time it has been in, reprogrammed software, new software, new fuel pump. This is a serious safety issue as the car will not get fuel and will stop or lose acceleration. BMW needs to take this seriously.

Unreliable
By BMW Lemon

2009 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

The car was awesome at first but then came the problems the fuel system replaced 3 times. The car continues to have fuel delivery problems. BMW told me we have extended the warranty to 10 years on the fuel system but that doesn't help when you're stranded on the road. Avoid the 135/335/535 models they are garbage. I have started the lemon law process.

What a car!
By Don

2009 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

After owning many marques, finally bought a BMW. The car handles like a slot car, is quiet and good-riding, and has fantastic brakes. Wish I'd bought one years ago.

i-Drive