2009 BMW 5 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:
Realistic review for people who want to buy a used 535i
By rob2388 on 12/17/13 11:00 AM (PST)

2009 BMW 5 Series 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought my 2009 535i with sport/cold/light packages with 49k miles. First make sure you find the service records on the car so you know what you will be facing. THIS CAR IS NOT A MAINTENANCE FREE CAR LIKE TOYOTA! With that being said, there is a lot of 'common' issues with this car. Gasket leaks, the HPFP (high pressure fuel pump) and one of the taillights have recalls so make sure you have the new HPFP. Water pump also goes to shit after about 50k miles i read so that is something i'm looking forward to. This is not a smooth car like Mercedes, you will feel the road. Other than that, the car can take serious curves, and the twin turbos make the car go!

Are you willing to trade the good for the bad?
By subdsgnr on 04/30/12 16:48 PM (PDT)

2009 BMW 5 Series 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

My 535i came with the sport package, which does improve handling--especially the active roll bar in the rear. This car rides almost like an Avalon in a straight line, but has almost ZERO body roll on a turn. Really amazing handling. The turbo engine is very impressive as well. HOWEVER, you cannot change your battery on your own. The dealer MUST do it. Seriously--I'm a DIY car guy. Also, I just had two injectors replaced at 20K MILES. BMW forum people act like the injectors are SUPPOSED to go out because they're just such "high performance", but I've had 3 Lexuses with direct inject and had ZERO problems. On top of reliability being spotty, the dealer treated me like a pariah.

Fuel System
By Disappointed on 09/28/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 BMW 5 Series 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Great car, but the problems with the fuel system are ridiculous. 4th time it has been in, reprogrammed software, new software, new fuel pump. This is a serious safety issue as the car will not get fuel and will stop or lose acceleration. BMW needs to take this seriously.

Unreliable
By BMW Lemon on 06/14/10 03:20 AM (PDT)

2009 BMW 5 Series 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

The car was awesome at first but then came the problems the fuel system replaced 3 times. The car continues to have fuel delivery problems. BMW told me we have extended the warranty to 10 years on the fuel system but that doesn't help when you're stranded on the road. Avoid the 135/335/535 models they are garbage. I have started the lemon law process.

What a car!
By Don on 01/24/10 14:15 PM (PST)

2009 BMW 5 Series 528i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

After owning many marques, finally bought a BMW. The car handles like a slot car, is quiet and good-riding, and has fantastic brakes. Wish I'd bought one years ago.

Not the Ultimate Driving Machine
By samsride on 12/31/09 16:47 PM (PST)

2009 BMW 5 Series 535i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Thought I got the ultimate driving machine this spring. At 5K miles, check engine light came on 3 times! Fixed 3 times (software update, fuel injector replacement, new fuel pump). At 7500 miles, light came on again, lost power and car shut off! Had to be towed to dealer as fuel injector and cylinder blown to smithereens. Dealer has been responsive in replacing parts under warranty, but car is not reliable and not safe at this point. Filed for reimbursement through Lemon Law since 4th occurrence. No response from BMW after 30 days. Have found lots of others having same issues on many blogs. Stay away from turbo models!

Very good & getting better
By lenk58 on 12/14/09 12:34 PM (PST)

2009 BMW 5 Series 528i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is our 3rd 5 series starting in 2003, 2006 and 2009. Each model has gotten better, especially with horsepower. The 2003 could barely get out of its own way. Over the years they have increased horsepower by 50. The car drives great, handles well and is good on gas. Sound, navigation systems are great and seat comfort is also fine. It still could use an upgrade on horsepower over 230.

Ultimate driving Machine
By Best car I've owned on 12/03/09 18:39 PM (PST)

2009 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

BMW truly deserves the title of ultimate driving machine. The 528i has enough power with exceptional handling and ride quality. No other car provides the same steering feedback and handling. Love the car and can't wait to drive it, car gets looks while on the road. This is my 1st BMW and will not be the last.

Best car I have ever owned
By scott on 11/03/09 10:19 AM (PST)

2009 BMW 5 Series 528i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Car gets great gas mileage with great performance, super quiet interior. This is my first BMW but it won't be my last. I'm hooked!

BMW 550i review
By DH on 09/25/09 16:59 PM (PDT)

2009 BMW 5 Series 550i 4dr Sedan (4.8L 8cyl 6M)

this is our 3rd bmw previously owned an 07 convertible & 07 7series. there is alot to luv and enjoy about this car. comfort, ride, luxury all in one package. standouts are the sports mode/pkg/kit & signature silver color. hd radio stands out immediately more car companies should offer it.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.