Trouble Free-Call it the Intimidator!
By jcollum68 on
2008 BMW 5 Series 550i 4dr Sedan (4.8L 8cyl 6M)
First of all, got this car in 2011 with 30K miles, stickered new for $69,500. It has $75K on it and is 100% trouble free. I have the sport backage in Carbon Black with tinted windows. What can I say, this car is beautiful yet intimidating. Blazing fast with amazing handling. Steering and brakes are A plus and the engine noise is a symphony. Those who look at numbers say a 535i is almost the same-no its not. Get a V8, a rare commodity nowadays. Plenty of room in the interior, high quality materials. I have driven many luxury cars, love teh E60 550i more than any and much more than the new F10 5 series--too big and bland. I want my cars with style, love it or hate it. Buy this car!
Favorite Features
Engine, accleration, handling, steering feel, 20 way seats, 19 inch wheels are gorgeous, quality leather and interior materials. Intimidating look-don't kid yourself, this car (the way mine is configured) is meant for a man. Logiic 7 stereo has nice sound, large trunk, I actually like idrive (not many seem to). This is really a 4 door sports car. Don't let the 4 doors fool you, this is a serious machine and if you are off public roads and can see it capabilities it will blow your socks off.
Suggested Improvements
Almost no console storage space or interior storage space, crappy cupholders. I know what I was getting buying a V8, but...I get 19.5 miles per gallon with about 80% highway driving. Fuel tank is way to small, this things has no range (get used to stopping for gas). Give me a bigger tank, better gas mileage (or both). The tradeoff for amazing handling is a (lets say) "controlled" ride. You will know the street surface-wouldn't mind a bit less firm ride. Be prepared for expensive maintenance costs. I had an E90 3 series, this car is in another world with routine maintenance costs. Why does an basis air filter cost $26 at the auto parts store when a Ford is $13? It is the same thing?