2008 BMW 5 Series 3.0L 6-cyl. Twin-turbo AWD 6-speed Manual Consumer Review - Fun to drive

2008 BMW 5 Series - Consumer Review

535xi Sedan (3.0L 6-cyl. Twin-turbo AWD 6-speed Manual)

Fun to drive
By david_welch on

2008 BMW 5 Series 535xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I was looking for an AWD sport sedan with a 6 speed manual transmission. The BMW 535xi is the only option in the luxury market. The car is outstanding. It handles extremely well at high speeds and tight corners. The brakes are fantastic and can stop reliably. I wanted a 6 speed manual and the transmission is superb. Shifting is smooth but can be done quickly if accelerating -- merging on the highway is no trouble at all. The AWD is great and I just took the car out for its first test in a New England blizzard. The plow trucks were all out and I only saw a few Audis and Subarus on the road. The BMW climbed icy hills with no trouble at all. Did some donuts too - good times.

Favorite Features

Twin turbo engine, 6 speed manual transmission, large trunk, room for 5 adults. All wheel drive is great.

Suggested Improvements

Better cup holders and easier to use climate control. The iDrive system is a pain, but the climate control cryptography is simply ridiculous. I shouldn't have to pull over the car just to change the heat/AC settings.