Fun to drive, poor reliability & expensive to fix
By mqc99 on
2008 BMW 5 Series 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)
This was my 1st and last BMW. Bought the car new, in the 6 years and 34K miles I've owned the car, I had a faulty battery, bad fuel pump, dead oxygen sensor, and a failed water pump. I was stranded 3 times (car completely died) and almost stranded twice. So, multiple trips to the shops and over 2 grand of repair bills later, I have finally gave up on this "ultimate driving machine". It was a fun car to drive while it worked. But, for a $60K car, I'd expect BMW to deliver something better. The worst part is that I totally lost my confidence in it and can no longer feel comfortable taking this car on any extended trips. This will be the LAST BMW I ever spend my money on.
Favorite Features
Nice handling. It drives very well when things are working.
Suggested Improvements
Improve product quality and reliability. Quality is not just about handling, it is also about driver confidence. When you can't build customer trust in your product, you loose the customer. Learn from how Acura and Lexus on how they have built customer loyalty. If you don't improve your product quality, you will loose to your competitions. Take a page from the lessons learned by the American auto makers in the 80's and 90's. They took some hard hits before they wised up and got their act together. Today, they have much better products. BMW, if you don't take care of your product quality, you will face the same hardship GM, Ford and Chrysler did 20 years ago.