2008 BMW 5 Series Consumer Review: Reliability??

2008 BMW 5 Series - Consumer Review

Reliability??
By Jeff on

2008 BMW 5 Series 535xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

This is the second review after owning the 535xi for 18 months. I can not say enough good things about what I like about this car (see first review for that). However, the reliability of this vehicle is just not even close to expectations. I had it in the shop 7 times in the last 1 1/2 years. 5 times for check engine light and rough running: 1) replaced fuel, 2) replaced computer, 3) replaced ignition coil, 4) replaced fuel injector, 5) replaced fuel pump. The 6th time I brought it in the front suspension was creaking worse than my 70 Mustang. Dealer said it was normal, but somehow they fixed it. 7th time was for an iDrive malfunction. For the problems I have had, BMW should provide an extended warranty free of charge. If they could make this thing reliable and restore my confidence, it would be the best car ever.

Favorite Features

The car is awesome to drive, i just can't keep it out of the shop. The dealer has tried very hard. Fortunately the warranty is good for a while, but I won't be able to afford the car once that expires. This car will suck the money out of my wallet faster than my 42 ft Sea Ray. Otherwise love it.

Suggested Improvements

Add a space for wife's purse and nav software was outdated the day I bought it-- weak.