2008 BMW 5 Series 3.0L 6-cyl. Twin-turbo 6-speed Manual Consumer Review - Major Disappointment

2008 BMW 5 Series - Consumer Review

Major Disappointment
By 535nomore on

2008 BMW 5 Series 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

This was my first BMW and I was really excited about buying it. It worked fine for about 6 months and then the trouble started. First it was the "reduced engine power" message related to the turbo system. The result of multiple trips to the dealer consisted of: engine reprogramming, replacing the high pressure fuel pump, replacing injectors, replacing a fuel pressure sensor, and reconnecting a vacuum hose that the mechanic "forgot" to connect. The car has had three water pumps installed. I've also had the battery replaced two years after I bought the car (new), the auxiliary jack replaced (it only played through one channel when I got the car. And a couple of other minor items.

Favorite Features

It's comfortable. It's also quick and fast, when it runs properly.

Suggested Improvements

BMW solved the problem by discontinuing the engine that can in the 2008 model and a couple of years before and after. Anyone considering this car, do yourself a favor and pass on it. The turbo/engine problem is fairly common. You can read about it on BMW owner's forums and boards.