Issues and bad design for very basic features
By msimps on
2008 BMW 5 Series 528xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)
I bought a CPO 2008 528 xi a year and half ago and have had quite a few issues that I think I shouldn't have for a car that is 4 years old. The driver side sport seat stopped working correctly. A couple months ago my battery died. $460 to replace that. You cannot do it yourself. It needs to be paired with the electrical devices in the car. This week my AC went out. Turns out there was a leak in the AC system and while my car was getting repaired they discovered a leak in my transmission. The tires that don't go flat cannot be repaired. Be prepared to buy a new tire and hope they have one in stock or you are out of commission until they get one.
Favorite Features
The car is very fun to drive and corners amazingly. The acceleration is great and the brakes are really good. I feel very safe driving this car. It's extremely responsive. It is also a very nice looking car. Everyone comments on what a gorgeous car it is.
Suggested Improvements
Reliability is a huge issue. A car this new that costs this much should not have these kinds of problems. The car has been over-engineered. Towing this car because of a dead battery required a special tow hook that needs to be screwed into the front bumper and you also need to locate a special tool that is kept in the trunk to use to disengage the transmission. This car allows notifies you when it needs service by a small message that is displayed briefly. Of course nothing needs service at the same time. The AC/heat controls are separate for the driver and passenger. There is no way to adjust both at the same time to be the same temp. iDrive is very confusing to very simple tasks.