Great When Not in for Service
By Ed on
2008 BMW 5 Series 535xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)
Comfortable, fun to drive and looks great. It's loaded with the Premium, Cold Weather and Sports package. I really do enjoy driving this to work and longer distances. My only complaint is how many times the car has been in the shop. Although I enjoy the car, this will most likely be my last BMW purchase. I can't justify all the service visits even though I'm not paying a dime. My previous car, which was a Nissan, was much better in this area.
Favorite Features
All the bells and whistles offered with the packages noted. It's really amazing just how much technology is in this car.
Suggested Improvements
iDrive is overly complicated. Navigation system is remarkable poor when compared to competitors. Climate control system is also more complicated than it has to be. I would say they over engineered a few of aspects of the iDrive system. Should be far easier to use.
By timbo52
on 07/22/11 09:25 AM (PDT)

Exhilerating and fun when everything works! I love to drive my 2008 535i with Sports package when it is not in the shop. Lots of power and full of confidence. However I have had lots of problems which has been worked on under the factory warranty. Here is the list so far: 1) replace head lamp module ( less than a week after delivery), 2) replace fuel pump, 3) replace fuel injector, 4) car suddenly went into "limp (lower power mode)" when entering highway replace gear shift handle (fortunately I was not in heavy traffic, 5) iDrive goes crazy and turns into black screen. Hopefully, nothing else shows up. I love the way the car handles but the trips to the service department has become too often. Planning to replace it with the closest comparable and "RELIABLE" sports sedan just. A bitter sweet BMW experience. Suggested Improvements: A more intuitive navigation system. Even my low end TomTom is easier to use. They need better programers for the iDrive system to make it more user friendly. Too many buttons to push. .