Fun to Drive--but has many issues
By Marty B on
2008 BMW 5 Series 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)
This has been a recurring problem with the '08 535i where the engine light comes on: ENGINE MALFUNCTION-reduce power. I took it once to Palm Springs BMW, but they did absolutely nothing. I took it to Pacific BMW where they replaced the fuel pump back in Nov 08. Early April I took it to Alexander for the same problem--ENGINE MALFUNCTION- reduce power. It turns out to be a leaking high pressure pump and broken injector. Both were replaced, and now it's in working order. All at no cost. How soon will it be before the ENGINE MALFUNCTION--reduce power light appears? I was promised that everything is in working condition. Yes, but how long? We have a 353i coupe with the same problem.
Favorite Features
Miles per gallon highway, powerful 300 horsepower pick up, nice stiff and sporty drive, sport mode transmission, and yet comfortable, XM satellite, comfortable seats, hot design--black on black looks hot.
Suggested Improvements
Mechanical problem with the injector and high pressure pump (ENGINE MALFUNCTION--reduce power) needs to be addressed, one day tranny was stuck on D and couldn't shift--they replaced a part in the transmission and it's been OK since.