2008 BMW 5 Series 528i Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Sort Reviews by

Engine
By bennett

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

We have had the car in the shop for the same reason 4 times. They have replaced 6 ejectors, fuel pump and a gas line. We got it out of the shop on a Thursday we went on a trip on Sunday and it backfired and made a loud noise and smoke filled the inside of the car. By the time we got it stopped and out, the car was burning. It burned up. We did all we could to get it repaired.

Favorite Features

The trunk has lots of room.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders will not hold all drink sizes. The navigation system is hard to enter destinations.

2008 BMW 528i
By drao

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I purchased this car as a commuting vehicle. It is a joy to drive on a day to day basis, very quiet to exterior sounds, quick, refined and luxurious. Previously I was driving a 2007 Mercedes C230 in which I had some recurring issues -- not so with the 528i -- absolutely awesome car!! This was the perfect choice for me and my (small) family. We do some trips once in a while and this car is perfect for our needs. If I had a couple more kids then I'd have opted for a minivan or SUV for sure with the additional space.

Favorite Features

Comfort Seats, Auto folding exterior Mirrors, Sports driving mode

Suggested Improvements

Standard fold down rear seats.

Fun to Drive--but has many issues
By Marty B

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

This has been a recurring problem with the '08 535i where the engine light comes on: ENGINE MALFUNCTION-reduce power. I took it once to Palm Springs BMW, but they did absolutely nothing. I took it to Pacific BMW where they replaced the fuel pump back in Nov 08. Early April I took it to Alexander for the same problem--ENGINE MALFUNCTION- reduce power. It turns out to be a leaking high pressure pump and broken injector. Both were replaced, and now it's in working order. All at no cost. How soon will it be before the ENGINE MALFUNCTION--reduce power light appears? I was promised that everything is in working condition. Yes, but how long? We have a 353i coupe with the same problem.

Favorite Features

Miles per gallon highway, powerful 300 horsepower pick up, nice stiff and sporty drive, sport mode transmission, and yet comfortable, XM satellite, comfortable seats, hot design--black on black looks hot.

Suggested Improvements

Mechanical problem with the injector and high pressure pump (ENGINE MALFUNCTION--reduce power) needs to be addressed, one day tranny was stuck on D and couldn't shift--they replaced a part in the transmission and it's been OK since.

Power Sedan
By stingers

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 550i 4dr Sedan (4.8L 8cyl 6M)

I disagree with the prior reviewer. I too came out of an Audio A6 3.2 into a 550i sport, but think the BMW is a better car in every respect. I have had no problems with my car after almost 2 years of daily use, hard use. I drive this car hard and it delivers! The engine is something to be reckoned with, from 0 to over 100 there is power to spare, just punch it and hang on. The interior is solid as a rock... no squeaks or rattles almost 20k miles. Where the A6 is plastic this car is leather, a true luxury sports sedan. (my A6, my 2nd , was in the shop many times)

Favorite Features

Engine, sport suspension

Suggested Improvements

cup-holders :)

Reliability??
By Jeff

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Update on reliability issues on my 535xi. I contacted my dealer with my concerns and they arranged a face to face meeting with the dealer CEO, Service Manager and BMW North America. I was very pleased with the outcome of the meeting. I am glad to report that BMW is standing behind its product. I posted the note below on "Reliability???" and only feel it it right to give props to BMW and my dealer for handling my issues in a very professional and respectful manner.

Favorite Features

20 way comfort seats, ride , handling, performance. The company is standing behind their product and although it took a while for me to figure out how to get to the right people, I am confident in the actions being taken by BMW.

Suggested Improvements

I could not get to the right person at the dealer or BMW to help me for the longest time. The dealer and BMW needs a one stop number to call to get you to the right person. Too many times I had to explain my story to find out I was talking to someone who couldn't help me.

Lots of Issues
By 535xi-texas

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

My 535xi 2008 has been in shop for two months out of the last 12. It has gone back for rough idle and rough ride 4 times for the same problem. They have replaced the master computer, oxygen sensor and possibly other stuff. BMW and the dealership do not seem to work well together to solve tough problems. Symptoms are loss of power, similar to a missing cylinder combustion i.e., jerks. Situation is not constant. I get engine malfunction light on my dash but the car computer says all is OK. It is totally a frustrating experience.

Suggested Improvements

BMW must directly intervene in issues that do not get resolved after repeat attempts and take owner into confidence on what is going on.

Reliability??
By Jeff

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

This is the second review after owning the 535xi for 18 months. I can not say enough good things about what I like about this car (see first review for that). However, the reliability of this vehicle is just not even close to expectations. I had it in the shop 7 times in the last 1 1/2 years. 5 times for check engine light and rough running: 1) replaced fuel, 2) replaced computer, 3) replaced ignition coil, 4) replaced fuel injector, 5) replaced fuel pump. The 6th time I brought it in the front suspension was creaking worse than my 70 Mustang. Dealer said it was normal, but somehow they fixed it. 7th time was for an iDrive malfunction. For the problems I have had, BMW should provide an extended warranty free of charge. If they could make this thing reliable and restore my confidence, it would be the best car ever.

Favorite Features

The car is awesome to drive, i just can't keep it out of the shop. The dealer has tried very hard. Fortunately the warranty is good for a while, but I won't be able to afford the car once that expires. This car will suck the money out of my wallet faster than my 42 ft Sea Ray. Otherwise love it.

Suggested Improvements

Add a space for wife's purse and nav software was outdated the day I bought it-- weak.

Reliable, I don't think so
By John M

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Bought new in April, has been in the shop at least twice a month every month since then transmission problems (wouldn't shift into reverse) computer problems with the iDrive, check engine light/oil/coolant lights comes on with regularity, rough starting - attributed to carbon build up on the valves, cleaned 300 miles ago and now back again. Very disappointed in my $60k car, and find no help at the dealership either, phone calls go unreturned and requests to have BMW USA involved have been ignored so far. I was so excited to get this car, and now it has turned into one of the worst decisions I ever made

Favorite Features

Paddle shifters, heated seats.

Suggested Improvements

Make it work reliably. Fix the turbo lag, really noticeable between 65 and 80mph.

Smooth power
By BMW4D

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 550i 4dr Sedan (4.8L 8cyl 6M)

Just came off a Audi A6 3.2 quattro lease and decided to try the BMW 550i. I had a 2003 BMW 530i previous to the Audi. There is no doubt that the Audi quality and solidity is better than the BMW. The interior design of the Audi is superior as well. Where the BMW comes into its own is how it drives. The 550i is powerful for sure. The motor and suspension dynamics make the car despite is not being as solidly made as the Audi. We will have to see how the reliability of the car goes as the months progress. I never had any problems with either my 2003 530i or my 2006 Audi A6 quattro.

Favorite Features

Great V8 motor in the 550i with nice exhaust note on my sport package model.

Suggested Improvements

Obviously fuel consumption is not great with the V8 especially with any kind of spirited driving.

Great Value. Great Performance Part 2
By So. Cal. D.

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Through the break-in period and after a few weeks of having the car in So. California I thought it worthwhile to confirm that the car is terrific day in and day out. Two additional notes: It is very difficult to stay within the speed limit. I'd say the car has the character of a jet-fighter. So capable that you're crossing over 100 mph just merging into traffic from the on-ramp (and you didn't hear or feel any noticeable change, except for the acceleration, along the way). Also, it's a bit difficult to have fun and achieve more than 20 mpg. And that's where speed limits and busy roadways help out - - they keep you from riding the afterburners all day. :)

Favorite Features

Logic 7 in "theater" mode with lower- end tweaked up slightly and you are surrounded by your own soundtrack. Comfort seats, solid handling, smooth n quick shifts. Sport mode is great for city driving, great downshifts.

Suggested Improvements

Uh. If it's possible to make a car this solid and responsive and to use less gas that would be great, but. . .