Used 2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

Great Off Lease Purchase
By hman

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Shopped for 2 months on numerous online sites and through local dealers to find exactly the configuration and price I was looking for. This car was $61,500 new 3 years ago, and I purchased for $36,000 with 35K on the odometer, about the same as I paid for my last car - which was a new Avalon Limited. The Avalon was pretty high tech and comfortable, but this car is an incredibly better value for many reasons. It is about as fun to drive as any car under $100,000 could be. The integrated IPod connection through the I-Drive combined with the Logic 7 sound system (highly recommended!) is superb. Premium (only) gas mileage has been about 17.5 in town and 26.5 highway.

Favorite Features

Logic 7 sound, extreme acceleration off the line and in passing situations on 2 lane roads, myriad of front seat adjustments in the sport model

Suggested Improvements

Battery drain issues that others have also commented on. Mine died in my driveway with no clear explanation but possibly from IPod. The computer system should be able to detect this.

Rocketship for the whole family
By Michael C

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Absolutely amazing is the best way to describe it. My first BMW. Had the car for over 2 years now and could not imagine driving anything else within the same price range. The engine worried me for a short period but when I started using Chevron or Shell gas only, those problems disappeared. My bluetooth and IDrive seem to work flawlessly no matter which phone I pair to it. It was a whole lot more fun to drive it on the Autobahn (bought in Germany) but I can still find some open road every now and then and unleash it a little.

Favorite Features

Superb handling for a sedan, adaptive headlights, comfort access (keyless ignition), 4 yrs free maintenance, IDrive interface and I could go on.

Suggested Improvements

Ditch the run-flat tires on performance vehicles.

Fun, fun, fun
By Ron

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 550i 4dr Sedan (4.8L 8cyl 6M)

A fun car to drive. Integrated an amazing sport car into a sedan body. Very responsive and safe. Very comfortable front seats and a great sound system. The rear seat is comfortable for 2 adults and one smaller adult in the center.

Favorite Features

Responsiveness and sure footed in all weather conditions (yet, he car requires snow tires in winter to continue to have too much fun of driving)

Suggested Improvements

1. Offer the 550 with a diesel engine 2. The navigation software is outdated. One cannot program the whole trip (few stops) or get an accurate ETA (it always assumes that the current traveling speed will be the same for the whole trip).

Great Sports Car
By Loving it!

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

My first BMW. I drove all the competitors and settled on the 535xi because of its performance. It is a blast to drive I've had it now for three years and still enjoy getting into it every day. I live in the Rockies and it is unbelievable on mountain roads. Excellent in the snow with AWD. My only negatives are, the seats are not real comfortable on longer drives and the cup holders are a joke.

Favorite Features

Turbo hauls once it engages. The delay of a split second is sometimes annoying but its a rocket once it engages. Great exterior looks. Has been reliable.

Suggested Improvements

Better, more plush seats. Would be nice if BMW could find a suspension that is stiff without the occupants feeling every bump. It isn't a Caddy. Gotta improve these cup holders.

No substitute for a V8
By tjdjr

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 550i 4dr Sedan (4.8L 8cyl 6M)

You will not be disappointed with the 550i Sport Package. You must order the sport package with the sport transmission which includes the "wow" button and paddle shifters. You also must order the Logic 7 audio with the USB iPod adapter. Finally Heads up display should be on your option list along with NAV. This car is very comfortable at 90 miles per hour on the interstate. At a steady 75 MPH you will get 24-25 MPG, about 17 MPG around town. I have owned a 2006 750LI, a 2004 Porsche C4S Cabriolet, a 2003 540i Sport Package and other than the open air motoring of the Cab this car takes the best pieces of each and puts them in a single package. Find a good used one with low miles!

Favorite Features

One of the best bluetooth integrations I have seen. The car looks like an M5 without the torture in cost and insurance premiums. A true sport sedan that can carry three or four golf bags while your passengers enjoy 7 series like comfort.

Suggested Improvements

The 2011 550i has added the twin turbo V8 along with some pricey 7 series options. When the full sport package is out the 2008-10 550i will finally have a competitor in this class. An X- Drive version may be nice for the Snowbelt but running snows on 18 inch wheels is just fine for us up north.