2008 BMW 5 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:
Great auto
By Professor on 08/29/09 23:32 PM (PDT)

2008 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is my 4th BMW in the past 15 years and by far the best. The smooth engine/transmission cannot be beat. Local mpg is about 25 and highway is always 31-32 mpg at speed limit plus. The seats are comfortable even after 15 hour interstate runs. It has operated perfectly in all ways with the only trips to the dealer for oil and regular service. I did not originally like the body design but the driving balance and smooth functioning of the car have won me over. i-drive works easily if you spend 10 minutes to learn it rather than fearing and griping about it.

Great Car
By Snuggles on 08/24/09 08:18 AM (PDT)

2008 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is an awesome family car that mixes in fun. Every time I drive it, I feel special, even after a year and a half. The 528i has plenty of power. The 535i + have more than plenty of power. Corners delightfully. Rides well over bad pavement. The vinyl looks like real leather.

Back to Mercedes
By cowboy693x on 08/12/09 13:03 PM (PDT)

2008 BMW 5 Series 528xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

We have had the car for a year. It has been in the shop for six weeks in total. The engine light comes on when the car gets hot. The main problem is we live in MT. BMW does not take care of there customers, I am trying to get a buy back. I have had three Mercedes in the past, they are not as fun to drive, but they are miles ahead in quality and customer service.

I love this car
By CKelleher on 08/07/09 23:08 PM (PDT)

2008 BMW 5 Series 535xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I traded in a 2004 330 convertible which I really enjoyed. The 535xi is heads and shoulder beyond the 330 Cic. I am hard on a car in daily use and drive more like an enthusiast. This car never disappoints, whether its a 4 hour drive to the beach or a drag race with a 17 year old in a mustang cobra, the BMW always comes through. Awesome creature comforts blows my parents e550 4 matic out of the water in every way. No problems whatsoever.

16 Months and I'm Still in Love
By SleepTight on 07/30/09 12:41 PM (PDT)

2008 BMW 5 Series 535xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

The best car I've ever owned! (And I've owned many.) The performance from the twin turbo inline 6 is simply amazing--great fuel economy too. Road feel and drive is great on optional sport wheels with aftermarket Bridgestone Potenzas. X-Drive and BMW handling makes this car a champion in bad weather. Incredibly comfortable on long drives thanks to contour seat package. Real-time traffic routing is a great addition to navigation. Logic 7 turns your car into a rolling concert hall. iPod and Bluetooth interface work flawlessly. Six speed auto is great once it gets warmed up. This is the car I take for long road trips. I'm always sorry when the trip is over because I have to stop driving.

Engine
By bennett on 05/26/09 14:41 PM (PDT)

2008 BMW 5 Series 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

We have had the car in the shop for the same reason 4 times. They have replaced 6 ejectors, fuel pump and a gas line. We got it out of the shop on a Thursday we went on a trip on Sunday and it backfired and made a loud noise and smoke filled the inside of the car. By the time we got it stopped and out, the car was burning. It burned up. We did all we could to get it repaired.

2008 BMW 528i
By drao on 05/25/09 21:01 PM (PDT)

2008 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I purchased this car as a commuting vehicle. It is a joy to drive on a day to day basis, very quiet to exterior sounds, quick, refined and luxurious. Previously I was driving a 2007 Mercedes C230 in which I had some recurring issues -- not so with the 528i -- absolutely awesome car!! This was the perfect choice for me and my (small) family. We do some trips once in a while and this car is perfect for our needs. If I had a couple more kids then I'd have opted for a minivan or SUV for sure with the additional space.

Fun to Drive--but has many issues
By Marty B on 04/10/09 15:02 PM (PDT)

2008 BMW 5 Series 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

This has been a recurring problem with the '08 535i where the engine light comes on: ENGINE MALFUNCTION-reduce power. I took it once to Palm Springs BMW, but they did absolutely nothing. I took it to Pacific BMW where they replaced the fuel pump back in Nov 08. Early April I took it to Alexander for the same problem--ENGINE MALFUNCTION- reduce power. It turns out to be a leaking high pressure pump and broken injector. Both were replaced, and now it's in working order. All at no cost. How soon will it be before the ENGINE MALFUNCTION--reduce power light appears? I was promised that everything is in working condition. Yes, but how long? We have a 353i coupe with the same problem.

Power Sedan
By stingers on 03/04/09 12:58 PM (PST)

2008 BMW 5 Series 550i 4dr Sedan (4.8L 8cyl 6M)

I disagree with the prior reviewer. I too came out of an Audio A6 3.2 into a 550i sport, but think the BMW is a better car in every respect. I have had no problems with my car after almost 2 years of daily use, hard use. I drive this car hard and it delivers! The engine is something to be reckoned with, from 0 to over 100 there is power to spare, just punch it and hang on. The interior is solid as a rock... no squeaks or rattles almost 20k miles. Where the A6 is plastic this car is leather, a true luxury sports sedan. (my A6, my 2nd , was in the shop many times)

Reliability??
By Jeff on 02/12/09 12:48 PM (PST)

2008 BMW 5 Series 535xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Update on reliability issues on my 535xi. I contacted my dealer with my concerns and they arranged a face to face meeting with the dealer CEO, Service Manager and BMW North America. I was very pleased with the outcome of the meeting. I am glad to report that BMW is standing behind its product. I posted the note below on "Reliability???" and only feel it it right to give props to BMW and my dealer for handling my issues in a very professional and respectful manner.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.