Used 2008 BMW 5 Series Consumer Reviews - 191 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 BMW 5 Series

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

Love my 528i so far..
By kalicat

2008 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

After reading all of the reviews, I opted for the 528i instead of the 535i.
Bought certified pre-owned (not impressed - had a couple of issues that should have been caught by this supposed 180 point inspection)

The car is a blast to drive, luxury and performance at a reasonable price- at least for the pre-owned.
I look forward to every drive! I wanted a bigger car for safety and cause I have a young child - but with this car you dont have to compromise style and performace for a practical family sedan.
Love the 30 mph on road trips too.

The DRIVE! Get the sports package - the car handles better and looks much sportier (sits lower, better rims/tires)

CPO dealers need to keep up the quality standards people expect when buying these cars.

Love, Love this car
By ladybryant

2008 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

this is my first BMW and i absolutely love it. it's very stylish and comfortable. a head turner. the gas milaege is average but overall i love it. my next car will definately be another beemer. i chose the 2008 premium model with idrive and could not be happier. it has all the bells and whistles

design, handling, look, safety features

gas mileage

One fine auto.
By jpcoregon

2008 BMW 5 Series 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought the 2008 535i certified, including the maint. program to 100K miles 10/08. Outside of the horrendous experience with the lack of honesty and integrity of the BMW dealer, the car is superb. Too bad the certified program still makes one visit a BMW dealership. The car's comfort, ability to handle as well as it's outright performance is just plain fun. I quickly dumped the run-flats on this Sport model and bought high end Michelin UHP tires. The difference is a better ride and performance all the way around. Huge lack of space for change, eyeglasses and little things. Cupholders are poor, but one forgets as this thing gets up and runs.

Comfort seats, Sport package, ENGINE. The way it moves and purrs as one goes down the highway or a windy road ('ya live for those). I enjoy the looks overall quite a bit...not really at first, but it has warmed on me, like a very good woman who is rather plain looking. The resale value is a very good thing and so far, albeit a few minor items and one recall pump (all tco under warranty), this car has been very reliable. It remain quiet at all times, with no creaks or rattles.

i-Drive is a clever idea that is executed poorly. It is a tolerable, but requires WAY too many steps and contortions to input basic information. Is is needlessly complex, but in the end, after all the inputting and requiring too much attention, it does work. The newer 5's did add better space cubbies up front, so that is good. I drove the new 2011 5-series as my vehicle was in for a warranty issue, and in no way cared for it as much as my own...surprised in a big way...nicer interior, like the looks but the fun factor went on vacation...I am happy and will keep mine. Overall, a very fun, enjoyable car that makes me grin as I get to drice it each day. Gotta love the German sedans...

Great Car!
By sanjay8

2008 BMW 5 Series 535xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought this car used about 1 year ago with 35000 miles and I have put on another 10,000 miles in the past year. The drive is amazing. It has had no problems as yet. After reading the reviews I am not sure if should keep this car past its warranty, which is up in 6 months. Sounds like the twin turbo is a problem. There is a recall in Canada to correct the high pressure fuel pump.

Great When Not in for Service
By Ed

2008 BMW 5 Series 535xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Comfortable, fun to drive and looks great. It's loaded with the Premium, Cold Weather and Sports package. I really do enjoy driving this to work and longer distances. My only complaint is how many times the car has been in the shop. Although I enjoy the car, this will most likely be my last BMW purchase. I can't justify all the service visits even though I'm not paying a dime. My previous car, which was a Nissan, was much better in this area.

All the bells and whistles offered with the packages noted. It's really amazing just how much technology is in this car.

iDrive is overly complicated. Navigation system is remarkable poor when compared to competitors. Climate control system is also more complicated than it has to be. I would say they over engineered a few of aspects of the iDrive system. Should be far easier to use.