Used 2008 BMW 5 Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

Awesome when it runs
By Tom

2008 BMW 5 Series 535xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Great car to drive when it runs. Can has been in the shop 8 times in 6 months. Fuel injector, fuel pump, electrical problem, don't trust the car anymore. Go figure buy a dream car and it is junk.

Great performance

Great Off Lease Purchase
By hman

2008 BMW 5 Series 535xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Shopped for 2 months on numerous online sites and through local dealers to find exactly the configuration and price I was looking for. This car was $61,500 new 3 years ago, and I purchased for $36,000 with 35K on the odometer, about the same as I paid for my last car - which was a new Avalon Limited. The Avalon was pretty high tech and comfortable, but this car is an incredibly better value for many reasons. It is about as fun to drive as any car under $100,000 could be. The integrated IPod connection through the I-Drive combined with the Logic 7 sound system (highly recommended!) is superb. Premium (only) gas mileage has been about 17.5 in town and 26.5 highway.

Logic 7 sound, extreme acceleration off the line and in passing situations on 2 lane roads, myriad of front seat adjustments in the sport model

Battery drain issues that others have also commented on. Mine died in my driveway with no clear explanation but possibly from IPod. The computer system should be able to detect this.

Rocketship for the whole family
By Michael C

2008 BMW 5 Series 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Absolutely amazing is the best way to describe it. My first BMW. Had the car for over 2 years now and could not imagine driving anything else within the same price range. The engine worried me for a short period but when I started using Chevron or Shell gas only, those problems disappeared. My bluetooth and IDrive seem to work flawlessly no matter which phone I pair to it. It was a whole lot more fun to drive it on the Autobahn (bought in Germany) but I can still find some open road every now and then and unleash it a little.

Superb handling for a sedan, adaptive headlights, comfort access (keyless ignition), 4 yrs free maintenance, IDrive interface and I could go on.

Ditch the run-flat tires on performance vehicles.

Fun, fun, fun
By Ron

2008 BMW 5 Series 550i 4dr Sedan (4.8L 8cyl 6M)

A fun car to drive. Integrated an amazing sport car into a sedan body. Very responsive and safe. Very comfortable front seats and a great sound system. The rear seat is comfortable for 2 adults and one smaller adult in the center.

Responsiveness and sure footed in all weather conditions (yet, he car requires snow tires in winter to continue to have too much fun of driving)

1. Offer the 550 with a diesel engine 2. The navigation software is outdated. One cannot program the whole trip (few stops) or get an accurate ETA (it always assumes that the current traveling speed will be the same for the whole trip).

Great Sports Car
By Loving it!

2008 BMW 5 Series 535xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

My first BMW. I drove all the competitors and settled on the 535xi because of its performance. It is a blast to drive I've had it now for three years and still enjoy getting into it every day. I live in the Rockies and it is unbelievable on mountain roads. Excellent in the snow with AWD. My only negatives are, the seats are not real comfortable on longer drives and the cup holders are a joke.

Turbo hauls once it engages. The delay of a split second is sometimes annoying but its a rocket once it engages. Great exterior looks. Has been reliable.

Better, more plush seats. Would be nice if BMW could find a suspension that is stiff without the occupants feeling every bump. It isn't a Caddy. Gotta improve these cup holders.