Used 2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

BIG Disappointment
By mbarrio1

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Just got the 535 back after the recall- -engine malfunction--and got stuck on the side of the freeway. This is the third time, and it's the second replacement of the high pressured fuel pump. So it's the third fuel pump on this 5 series. I love the drive, but am concerned about the reliability factor since I've been stuck on the side of the road three times--NOT FUN! If I get another BMW, maybe one without the turbo, since that seems to be the cause of the engine malfunction.

Favorite Features

I love the drive and the fact that with a sporty drive, I get 18 city and 26 highway. There's that surge of power from 50 to 70 in a matter of seconds with the help of the bi-turbo, AWESOME!

Suggested Improvements

Let's make sure that the third installed high pressure fuel pump is it. Otherwise, I hope BMW pays for the fourth, and the fifth, and the sixth

Too many problems
By S

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Fun car to drive, great performance, good fuel economy-but- way too many major mechanical problems. In three years there have been a major oil leak- had to carry a quart of oil with me to get it to the nearest dealer-battery failure, compressor failure and most recently high pressure fuel pump failure 400 miles from home. On several occasions BMW has been less than cooperative in addressing the warranty repair.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive, comfortable on long trips.

Suggested Improvements

Way too many mechanical issues for a car of this price. My confidence level in the mechanical reliability of this car is very low.

The Best Car For A Man
By Jake

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 550i 4dr Sedan (4.8L 8cyl 6M)

The 550i is amazing. It handles beautifully. The power is so amazing. It just pulls you into the seat. The headlights are awesome. The sound system is A+. There is nothing that I could think of that needs to be changed in the 550i. The seats are also a huge deal. They are super comfortable. The only thing is it eats fuel but the highway fuel economy is really good. But it's worth paying extra for fuel because the power is a great feeling.

Favorite Features

Power, Handling, Comfort, Sound

Suggested Improvements

None

Charge me
By longrun

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

In all the recent reviews of this model,I do not see the most exasperating quality of it's day to day performance. I refer to the battery drain when parked.The first winter I used the car,I did not start it for about 3 weeks since I do not drive on salted roads. The display had suffered a 'reset' which happens when the battery voltage gets too low. I received a statement from BMW that the car must be driven at least 40-50 miles daily to avoid this reset happening.I am retired and use the car mainly for shorter distances-less than 50 miles.As a result I have to connect a 'sustaining' charger every 2 or 3 days to keep the volts up. Annoying and apparently still needed on the 2011's!

Favorite Features

Clever shift action-digital along with the wipers and indicators. Excellent performance with no turbo lag.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the battery problem,reduce the drain when parked or use a separate battery for sustaining the computer power supply.

Awesome when it runs
By Tom

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Great car to drive when it runs. Can has been in the shop 8 times in 6 months. Fuel injector, fuel pump, electrical problem, don't trust the car anymore. Go figure buy a dream car and it is junk.

Favorite Features

Great performance