2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:
Too many problems!
By Tooo much trouble! on 10/05/09 15:34 PM (PDT)

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Had more trouble out of this car than any I have ever owned. Replaced fuel pump twice which was under warranty. But dealer has not a clue what is wrong with this vehicle. My wife is the primary driver. The car idles like a model T Ford on a cold start. Dash lights up like a jukebox saying "engine misfire" on a weekly basis, and says "reducing power" and will not go faster than 25 mph. First they blamed it on a program, then fuel pumps, then the fuel, then it was ethanol. In the shop 27 days the last six months. More than 60 grand for this, what gives! Saw a lawyer last week about the lemon law. It's a shame, the car drives beautifully when it's right.

Excellent Car
By bmw5xi on 10/03/09 22:31 PM (PDT)

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Waited 22000 miles before my first review. Before I test drove this car, I did not quite understand all the hype about this being the 'ultimate driving machine'. After 22000 miles and many hours driving this car there is only one thing I can say- this car dives like no other!! I test drove the lexus GS and LS, mercedes E class, Infinity G35, M45 and Jaguar XF. This car blows them all away. Some evenings even after a tired day after work, I still look forward to taking the car out for a spin. Have had 2 minor issues with the car (faulty seat belt sensor and check engine light)-both fixed by dealer at no cost. Now I see why people fall in love with this car despite occasional minor issues!

Awesome with some quirks
By M. Corbin on 09/26/09 08:01 AM (PDT)

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Had the dreaded engine issue that is common for these twin turbos but as long as I buy Chevron gas, it's no problem! Love the features and the performance capability. The fact that I won't pay for the first 4 yrs of service is a bonus. If you're looking to buy a new one, check into the European Delivery pkg so you can try it out on the Autobahn! U won't be disappointed.

The BEST Car I Have Owned
By rsulliuvan on 09/14/09 17:26 PM (PDT)

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Sports and premium pkgs. This car is amazing. Handling is superb, wet or dry. Dunlop run flats hold the road as if you were on rails. The most comfortable seats you have ever placed your tail on. Design is flawless, in and out. Fantastic on long trips, 33 mpg., and a great way to commute. Why I waited so long to purchase THE ULTIMATE DRIVING MACHINE is beyond me. Of the dozen or so autos I have owned, this is by far the best. 100% class.

Great auto
By Professor on 08/29/09 23:32 PM (PDT)

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is my 4th BMW in the past 15 years and by far the best. The smooth engine/transmission cannot be beat. Local mpg is about 25 and highway is always 31-32 mpg at speed limit plus. The seats are comfortable even after 15 hour interstate runs. It has operated perfectly in all ways with the only trips to the dealer for oil and regular service. I did not originally like the body design but the driving balance and smooth functioning of the car have won me over. i-drive works easily if you spend 10 minutes to learn it rather than fearing and griping about it.

Great Car
By Snuggles on 08/24/09 08:18 AM (PDT)

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is an awesome family car that mixes in fun. Every time I drive it, I feel special, even after a year and a half. The 528i has plenty of power. The 535i + have more than plenty of power. Corners delightfully. Rides well over bad pavement. The vinyl looks like real leather.

Back to Mercedes
By cowboy693x on 08/12/09 13:03 PM (PDT)

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

We have had the car for a year. It has been in the shop for six weeks in total. The engine light comes on when the car gets hot. The main problem is we live in MT. BMW does not take care of there customers, I am trying to get a buy back. I have had three Mercedes in the past, they are not as fun to drive, but they are miles ahead in quality and customer service.

I love this car
By CKelleher on 08/07/09 23:08 PM (PDT)

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I traded in a 2004 330 convertible which I really enjoyed. The 535xi is heads and shoulder beyond the 330 Cic. I am hard on a car in daily use and drive more like an enthusiast. This car never disappoints, whether its a 4 hour drive to the beach or a drag race with a 17 year old in a mustang cobra, the BMW always comes through. Awesome creature comforts blows my parents e550 4 matic out of the water in every way. No problems whatsoever.

16 Months and I'm Still in Love
By SleepTight on 07/30/09 12:41 PM (PDT)

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

The best car I've ever owned! (And I've owned many.) The performance from the twin turbo inline 6 is simply amazing--great fuel economy too. Road feel and drive is great on optional sport wheels with aftermarket Bridgestone Potenzas. X-Drive and BMW handling makes this car a champion in bad weather. Incredibly comfortable on long drives thanks to contour seat package. Real-time traffic routing is a great addition to navigation. Logic 7 turns your car into a rolling concert hall. iPod and Bluetooth interface work flawlessly. Six speed auto is great once it gets warmed up. This is the car I take for long road trips. I'm always sorry when the trip is over because I have to stop driving.

Engine
By bennett on 05/26/09 14:41 PM (PDT)

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

We have had the car in the shop for the same reason 4 times. They have replaced 6 ejectors, fuel pump and a gas line. We got it out of the shop on a Thursday we went on a trip on Sunday and it backfired and made a loud noise and smoke filled the inside of the car. By the time we got it stopped and out, the car was burning. It burned up. We did all we could to get it repaired.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.