2008 BMW 5 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:
Engine Failure
By Bimmer-R on 11/21/09 21:16 PM (PST)

2008 BMW 5 Series 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

This is not the best of BMW, this is my 2nd 5 Series and I expected better. Fuel leak twice, engine failure twice, car stopped once, engine rattling as if it was going to die most often than any used cheap car. Worst production twin turbo of BMW. Engine runs fast if it does not go nuts. I highly recommend people to buy another model with no turbo for now. My first one had the whole seat replaced, whole sun roof replaced, engine barrier replaced...this one had engine failure twice, disaster memory seat program, I hate to say this but I will really have to be convinced to buy another BMW this will go back to them! Do not learn it the hard way... read the other comments and you will know why.

Great car but iDrive is still ridiculous
By patrick on 11/11/09 22:17 PM (PST)

2008 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

The car handles incredibly well as a BMW should. It's quiet, fast, comfortable and fun. But if you are cold or hot...don't expect iDrive to help you out. It takes several minutes to get through the menus. Stupid. If you have an ipod...you better not have a lot of music on it...unlike the ipod scrolling function it takes FOREVER to get through the list. If you want to use the navigation to plot your route...don't use this system. It chokes on the simplest request. In short iDrive, if I had known how truly bad it was before I bought the car would likely have made me buy an Infiniti (and add Dynamat soundproofing). Better value. More intelligently designed user information and climate controls.

Sweet car
By Manny on 11/02/09 15:59 PM (PST)

2008 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Interesting to see all of the problems with the twins 535i. On BMW number 3, first 528i after two 3 series a '99 and a '06. Traded up from the '06 325i with 16" run flats, and could not stand the ride anymore, although it cornered like it was on rails. Chose the 528i because I did not want run flats tires on the next bimmer. Car runs great and has only needed one oil change thus far. Drove a 1200 miles round trip averaging 30 mpg at 80 mph. If not sure, stick with the aspirated inline 6s they are bullet prove. Ask any service center mechanic and they will tell you that the 5s are the most trouble free BMWs in the line up. Good solid car.

Worst car I've ever owned
By Ryan on 10/15/09 17:22 PM (PDT)

2008 BMW 5 Series 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

This is by far the worst car I have ever owned. You would think BMW would notify their customers if they had an issue with the car. The fuel injectors and the fuel pump are constantly malfunctioning and every time I take it in, they tell me there is no issue. This is my first BMW and my last.

Too many problems!
By Tooo much trouble! on 10/05/09 15:34 PM (PDT)

2008 BMW 5 Series 535xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Had more trouble out of this car than any I have ever owned. Replaced fuel pump twice which was under warranty. But dealer has not a clue what is wrong with this vehicle. My wife is the primary driver. The car idles like a model T Ford on a cold start. Dash lights up like a jukebox saying "engine misfire" on a weekly basis, and says "reducing power" and will not go faster than 25 mph. First they blamed it on a program, then fuel pumps, then the fuel, then it was ethanol. In the shop 27 days the last six months. More than 60 grand for this, what gives! Saw a lawyer last week about the lemon law. It's a shame, the car drives beautifully when it's right.

Excellent Car
By bmw5xi on 10/03/09 22:31 PM (PDT)

2008 BMW 5 Series 535xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Waited 22000 miles before my first review. Before I test drove this car, I did not quite understand all the hype about this being the 'ultimate driving machine'. After 22000 miles and many hours driving this car there is only one thing I can say- this car dives like no other!! I test drove the lexus GS and LS, mercedes E class, Infinity G35, M45 and Jaguar XF. This car blows them all away. Some evenings even after a tired day after work, I still look forward to taking the car out for a spin. Have had 2 minor issues with the car (faulty seat belt sensor and check engine light)-both fixed by dealer at no cost. Now I see why people fall in love with this car despite occasional minor issues!

Awesome with some quirks
By M. Corbin on 09/26/09 08:01 AM (PDT)

2008 BMW 5 Series 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Had the dreaded engine issue that is common for these twin turbos but as long as I buy Chevron gas, it's no problem! Love the features and the performance capability. The fact that I won't pay for the first 4 yrs of service is a bonus. If you're looking to buy a new one, check into the European Delivery pkg so you can try it out on the Autobahn! U won't be disappointed.

The BEST Car I Have Owned
By rsulliuvan on 09/14/09 17:26 PM (PDT)

2008 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Sports and premium pkgs. This car is amazing. Handling is superb, wet or dry. Dunlop run flats hold the road as if you were on rails. The most comfortable seats you have ever placed your tail on. Design is flawless, in and out. Fantastic on long trips, 33 mpg., and a great way to commute. Why I waited so long to purchase THE ULTIMATE DRIVING MACHINE is beyond me. Of the dozen or so autos I have owned, this is by far the best. 100% class.

Simply a Pleasure
By NY, NY on 09/09/09 09:42 AM (PDT)

2008 BMW 5 Series 535xi 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

The car is fantastic. Looked/test drove numerous luxury SUVs and crossovers - none compare. The car is incredible to drive never reminded you are driving a WAGON. Have all avail packages and most options aside from heads up display and performance tires. Comfort seats are unbeatable for long drives. Find the interior space is perfect. front and rear seats are very comfortable and incredibly supportive, and storage space is plentiful. Finally, have to say my wife and I found the iDrive to be far easier to master than expected having read the poor reviews. X-drive is great especially in snow in rain conditions. Have had some silly QC issues that should not take place in a car of this caliber,

Uber Wagon 18 Months Later
By Ian T on 09/03/09 05:26 AM (PDT)

2008 BMW 5 Series 535xi 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

2nd Review. Everything I wrote in 6/08 same except for one recurring power delivery problem. The car has small power interruptions at intermittent intervals. Very annoying but not disabling. Only set a "code" once. 3 trips to dealer to fix plus 1 with a factory engineer in attendance. Never fixed. Destroyed driving experience. Finger pointing between BMW and Dinan. Removed Dinan software but problem remained. 6SM no longer notchy. No other problems but this one caused me to Lemon Law. BMW made a deal for new 2010 w/me instead. My 535i sedan 6sm to be delivered soon. Fingers crossed. The wagon is still beautiful inside and out. It is a piece of art but this aggravation isn't worth it.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.