2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:
Glad I leased and didn't buy- be careful
By djl on 02/28/10 16:08 PM (PST)

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This was my first BMW and likely my last. Was initially excited about the ride, performance, and interior (except cup holders) until it stranded me twice. One engine failure at 75 mph! Have been through 3 thermostats, computer reprogramming, and more. Had hoped to buy it initially after lease end, now I'm glad I leased so I can walk away.

problem after problem
By matt c on 01/26/10 18:32 PM (PST)

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Great to drive and a wonderful car that gets 24 mpg in mixed driving when not broken. After about five months an oil light came on and then noticed a large oil spill at the house. The oil pump had exploded so the dealer took care of it. Then the power steering belt broke and took the AC out with it. Not exaggerating in saying the car went in for at least 10 visits and half were on a flat bed. I really like the car other than the fact I don't know when I am going to be stranded by the car. The Dealer did a shoddy job of fixing the initial problem which turned out to be a leak in some gasket they found after about ten visits. It appears that caused all the other problems.

Great...when it runs
By n on 01/26/10 11:08 AM (PST)

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I really liked this car until it left me stranded on the highway. Bought it new 1 year and 3 months ago and put 26000 miles on it. It's consistently had problems with cold starts and then completely died a week ago. I know that the high pressure fuel pumps have been a problem for these cars, but I thought a $60,000 car would at least come with a functioning fuel pump

Still going strong
By k on 01/02/10 11:43 AM (PST)

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I have driven this car hard for a year and a half and have yet to go through any technical problems with the car. This car is tough as nails. The engine is extremely smooth, and the Sport mode is like attaching rockets to your car when you need it to pass someone on the highway. The trunk is spacious, as is the rear seat, as two 6'2 guys have sat comfortably. The N54 engine (the TT L6) is easily one of the best BMW engines, and has won Engine of the Year awards consistently. Has never been to the shop other than scheduled maintenance, despite being somewhat abused by a young driver with a lead foot for about 14,000 miles. Never had a problem starting in cold weather, and no malfunctions.

Smooth
By Uncle Walt on 11/25/09 19:33 PM (PST)

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Bought this car as a CPO with 27,000 miles on. Like new condition. Of course it drives great; however, one surprise. 32.5 MPG!! I've had Cadillacs, Volvos and several other cars; none come close to this car.

Did anyone at BMW think about the inside
By Scott on 11/25/09 09:23 AM (PST)

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

If someone had told me that I would ever be disappointed driving a BMW I'd have told them they were nuts. With all of the obvious thought given to the exterior design, the mechanical, electronics, etc. Why would they screw up on such no brainers like climate controls, storage, and the ridiculous cupholder arrangement. Did someone at BMW spill coffee on the plans and so the factory just winged it? Other than those minor irritations, it's a great car, quiet, responsive, fun to drive (although nowhere near as fun as my infiniti was), gets decent mileage, and gets a lot of appreciative looks from others.

Engine Failure
By Bimmer-R on 11/21/09 21:16 PM (PST)

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

This is not the best of BMW, this is my 2nd 5 Series and I expected better. Fuel leak twice, engine failure twice, car stopped once, engine rattling as if it was going to die most often than any used cheap car. Worst production twin turbo of BMW. Engine runs fast if it does not go nuts. I highly recommend people to buy another model with no turbo for now. My first one had the whole seat replaced, whole sun roof replaced, engine barrier replaced...this one had engine failure twice, disaster memory seat program, I hate to say this but I will really have to be convinced to buy another BMW this will go back to them! Do not learn it the hard way... read the other comments and you will know why.

Great car but iDrive is still ridiculous
By patrick on 11/11/09 22:17 PM (PST)

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

The car handles incredibly well as a BMW should. It's quiet, fast, comfortable and fun. But if you are cold or hot...don't expect iDrive to help you out. It takes several minutes to get through the menus. Stupid. If you have an ipod...you better not have a lot of music on it...unlike the ipod scrolling function it takes FOREVER to get through the list. If you want to use the navigation to plot your route...don't use this system. It chokes on the simplest request. In short iDrive, if I had known how truly bad it was before I bought the car would likely have made me buy an Infiniti (and add Dynamat soundproofing). Better value. More intelligently designed user information and climate controls.

Sweet car
By Manny on 11/02/09 15:59 PM (PST)

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Interesting to see all of the problems with the twins 535i. On BMW number 3, first 528i after two 3 series a '99 and a '06. Traded up from the '06 325i with 16" run flats, and could not stand the ride anymore, although it cornered like it was on rails. Chose the 528i because I did not want run flats tires on the next bimmer. Car runs great and has only needed one oil change thus far. Drove a 1200 miles round trip averaging 30 mpg at 80 mph. If not sure, stick with the aspirated inline 6s they are bullet prove. Ask any service center mechanic and they will tell you that the 5s are the most trouble free BMWs in the line up. Good solid car.

Worst car I've ever owned
By Ryan on 10/15/09 17:22 PM (PDT)

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

This is by far the worst car I have ever owned. You would think BMW would notify their customers if they had an issue with the car. The fuel injectors and the fuel pump are constantly malfunctioning and every time I take it in, they tell me there is no issue. This is my first BMW and my last.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.