Used 2008 BMW 5 Series 535i Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

Worst car I've ever owned
By Ryan

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

This is by far the worst car I have ever owned. You would think BMW would notify their customers if they had an issue with the car. The fuel injectors and the fuel pump are constantly malfunctioning and every time I take it in, they tell me there is no issue. This is my first BMW and my last.

Awesome with some quirks
By M. Corbin

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Had the dreaded engine issue that is common for these twin turbos but as long as I buy Chevron gas, it's no problem! Love the features and the performance capability. The fact that I won't pay for the first 4 yrs of service is a bonus. If you're looking to buy a new one, check into the European Delivery pkg so you can try it out on the Autobahn! U won't be disappointed.

Versatile auto trans BMW Assist free for life of warranty 300 HP! Auto wipers and high beams

Can't think of any

Engine
By bennett

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

We have had the car in the shop for the same reason 4 times. They have replaced 6 ejectors, fuel pump and a gas line. We got it out of the shop on a Thursday we went on a trip on Sunday and it backfired and made a loud noise and smoke filled the inside of the car. By the time we got it stopped and out, the car was burning. It burned up. We did all we could to get it repaired.

The trunk has lots of room.

Cup holders will not hold all drink sizes. The navigation system is hard to enter destinations.

Fun to Drive--but has many issues
By Marty B

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

This has been a recurring problem with the '08 535i where the engine light comes on: ENGINE MALFUNCTION-reduce power. I took it once to Palm Springs BMW, but they did absolutely nothing. I took it to Pacific BMW where they replaced the fuel pump back in Nov 08. Early April I took it to Alexander for the same problem--ENGINE MALFUNCTION- reduce power. It turns out to be a leaking high pressure pump and broken injector. Both were replaced, and now it's in working order. All at no cost. How soon will it be before the ENGINE MALFUNCTION--reduce power light appears? I was promised that everything is in working condition. Yes, but how long? We have a 353i coupe with the same problem.

Miles per gallon highway, powerful 300 horsepower pick up, nice stiff and sporty drive, sport mode transmission, and yet comfortable, XM satellite, comfortable seats, hot design--black on black looks hot.

Mechanical problem with the injector and high pressure pump (ENGINE MALFUNCTION--reduce power) needs to be addressed, one day tranny was stuck on D and couldn't shift--they replaced a part in the transmission and it's been OK since.

Reliable, I don't think so
By John M

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Bought new in April, has been in the shop at least twice a month every month since then transmission problems (wouldn't shift into reverse) computer problems with the iDrive, check engine light/oil/coolant lights comes on with regularity, rough starting - attributed to carbon build up on the valves, cleaned 300 miles ago and now back again. Very disappointed in my $60k car, and find no help at the dealership either, phone calls go unreturned and requests to have BMW USA involved have been ignored so far. I was so excited to get this car, and now it has turned into one of the worst decisions I ever made

Paddle shifters, heated seats.

Make it work reliably. Fix the turbo lag, really noticeable between 65 and 80mph.

• SUV