5 SERIES DEATH TRAP SEE NHTSA.GOV!
By avpgsp2 on
2008 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)
I was not aware there were SO many engine issues with these models. While accelerating into high speed traffic, my vehicle stopped suddenly. The engine stalled. Power steering quit. Car was rendered useless. I barely made it off the road when my car finally came to rest. After doing research into safecar.gov I've found that this is an unfortunate problem that BMW will not officially recall, it seems as if it's because they can't offer a permanent fix for the issue. I'm reading that dealerships keep bandaging up major engine failure because BMW NA is not giving them further help regarding this particular engine. Praying that no one must die for the gov't to intervene & for BMW to fix this!
Favorite Features
Interior is divine.
Suggested Improvements
Replace the engine ENTIRELY. Save lives.
By timbo52
on 07/22/11 10:35 AM (PDT)

Exhilerating and fun when everything works! I love to drive my 2008 535i with Sports package when it is not in the shop. Lots of power and full of confidence. However I have had lots of problems which has been worked on under the factory warranty. Here is the list so far: 1) replace head lamp module ( less than a week after delivery), 2) replace fuel pump, 3) replace fuel injector, 4) car suddenly went into "limp (lower power mode)" when entering highway (fortunately I was not in heavy traffic), 5)replace gear shift handle, 6) iDrive goes crazy and turns into black screen. Hopefully, nothing else shows up. I love the way the car handles but the trips to the service department has become too often. Planning to replace it with the closest comparable and "RELIABLE" sports sedan just. They do offer a loaner while the car is in the shop but it is always a lower level 3 series model. A bitter sweet BMW experience. Suggested Improvements: A more intuitive navigation system. Even my low end TomTom is easier to use. They need better programers for the iDrive system to make it more user friendly. Too many buttons to push.