2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:
Rocketship for the whole family
By Michael C on 08/21/10 07:56 AM (PDT)

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Absolutely amazing is the best way to describe it. My first BMW. Had the car for over 2 years now and could not imagine driving anything else within the same price range. The engine worried me for a short period but when I started using Chevron or Shell gas only, those problems disappeared. My bluetooth and IDrive seem to work flawlessly no matter which phone I pair to it. It was a whole lot more fun to drive it on the Autobahn (bought in Germany) but I can still find some open road every now and then and unleash it a little.

Fun, fun, fun
By Ron on 07/24/10 11:45 AM (PDT)

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 550i 4dr Sedan (4.8L 8cyl 6M)

A fun car to drive. Integrated an amazing sport car into a sedan body. Very responsive and safe. Very comfortable front seats and a great sound system. The rear seat is comfortable for 2 adults and one smaller adult in the center.

Great Sports Car
By Loving it! on 06/20/10 22:08 PM (PDT)

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

My first BMW. I drove all the competitors and settled on the 535xi because of its performance. It is a blast to drive I've had it now for three years and still enjoy getting into it every day. I live in the Rockies and it is unbelievable on mountain roads. Excellent in the snow with AWD. My only negatives are, the seats are not real comfortable on longer drives and the cup holders are a joke.

No substitute for a V8
By tjdjr on 05/18/10 15:10 PM (PDT)

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 550i 4dr Sedan (4.8L 8cyl 6M)

You will not be disappointed with the 550i Sport Package. You must order the sport package with the sport transmission which includes the "wow" button and paddle shifters. You also must order the Logic 7 audio with the USB iPod adapter. Finally Heads up display should be on your option list along with NAV. This car is very comfortable at 90 miles per hour on the interstate. At a steady 75 MPH you will get 24-25 MPG, about 17 MPG around town. I have owned a 2006 750LI, a 2004 Porsche C4S Cabriolet, a 2003 540i Sport Package and other than the open air motoring of the Cab this car takes the best pieces of each and puts them in a single package. Find a good used one with low miles!

2008 BMW 535i Sport
By BillPort on 04/27/10 18:09 PM (PDT)

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

The 535 with the Sport Package is truly a 4-door sports car. Seating adjustments abound and you can program different profiles on the different keys. Handling is superb and 4 wheel drifts are doable with the "Anti-s" disabled. I averaged 20.7 MPG combined city/hwy. Sport mode and paddle shifters are a hoot. If it weren't for repair issues, I would love this car. Hi-pressure fuel valve went out 2x in 3 months. Unacceptable for car in this price range. Cheap materials in sunshades (no extender), cupholders are crap. Reverse light burned out at 33K miles. Turbo lag is noticeable at take off and throttle is 'twitchy' at take off. I want more time driving, not in shop, even w/warranty.

On the fence
By OnTheFence on 04/05/10 09:13 AM (PDT)

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

My lease comes up at the end of the year but not sure if I would buy it. It was at the dealership multiple times due to the high pressure fuel pump and gasket leak issues. Morning starts feel like a boat motor. Engine misfires. Car lurches back and jumps forward at stop lights etc. It's a joy to drive when the engine is trouble free. I-drive is so slow it drives me nuts. The blutooth works about 50% of the time. I'm eying the infiniti M and the lexus G because I really want a trouble free vehicle with better ergonomics. I'll have to sacrifice the driving dynamics of this vehicle though. There should not be a compromise for a $60,000+ car.

Fuel System Problems
By Tom on 04/04/10 10:52 AM (PDT)

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Great car, amazing when running well. My 535 is having a lot of problems with the car running very rough and has had several engine malfunctions. The dealership has put in a new module, high pressure pump (HPP), and several new injectors. Problem is routine to N54 engine. BMW acknowledges the problem is a design fault. Check out and have good warranty if purchasing. Love the car when it works.

Screaming Fast
By BVBEAMER on 03/29/10 18:05 PM (PDT)

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I have owned 2 Acura TL's, and Infiniti G35 and several other lower model Acura's and even a 1987 325. This car is a blast to drive. Super fast. You can take a corner as fast as you want and the traction control will prevent you from ever losing control. Tried that in a G35 and the car spun out. I've had some issues with battery drain and dealer said battery was fine. After reading many posts I decided to get BMW battery tender. Very easy to use and BMW didn't engineer the car to properly maintain battery charge if you are opening closing doors, trunk etc without driving it. Knock on wood. haven't had trouble. I do notice trans lag when car is cold but is fine after a few minutes.

Great power, Poor ergonomics
By danimal on 03/10/10 17:43 PM (PST)

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Have had this car for 2+ years and my lease is up in May, 2010. I was thinking about doing a buy-out but I just can't get past the interior ergonomics. There is zero storage space to put anything. The cup holders are cheap and pop out from the dash. There is nowhere to put sunglasses, maps, coins, receipts, over-sized bottles, etc. There is also no rear seat leg room. The car itself is undeniably the best performance vehicle in its class. The twin turbo is an absolute joy to drive with unmatched power. I will miss it but, again, I can't deal with the interior anymore. BTW, the I-Drive system is easy to figure out but it's slow as molasses.

1st BMW
By Diane Martinez on 02/28/10 18:25 PM (PST)

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Well, I had been driving a 1991 Volvo, so the 2008 528 is a major treat!!! Unbelievable in the workmanship, performance and handling!! I hope to always drive a BMW. It just hugs the corners when driving. Cant wait to try it on a Calif hwy like Hwy 1 in Half Moon Bay!

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.