Used 2008 BMW 5 Series 535i Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

Screaming Fast
By BVBEAMER

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I have owned 2 Acura TL's, and Infiniti G35 and several other lower model Acura's and even a 1987 325. This car is a blast to drive. Super fast. You can take a corner as fast as you want and the traction control will prevent you from ever losing control. Tried that in a G35 and the car spun out. I've had some issues with battery drain and dealer said battery was fine. After reading many posts I decided to get BMW battery tender. Very easy to use and BMW didn't engineer the car to properly maintain battery charge if you are opening closing doors, trunk etc without driving it. Knock on wood. haven't had trouble. I do notice trans lag when car is cold but is fine after a few minutes.

Fun to drive, acceleration, handling, infinite seat adjustments, logic 7 stereo, idrive (yes it's cool), 18 inch sport wheels, cruise control better than other vehicles, displays exact speed and maintains it even when going down steep hills, super cold ac. Yes, I love this car.

Center Console needs more storage. I'm fine with the cup holders. Worried about maintenance costs when I'm out of warranty based on comments in this forum.

problem after problem
By matt c

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Great to drive and a wonderful car that gets 24 mpg in mixed driving when not broken. After about five months an oil light came on and then noticed a large oil spill at the house. The oil pump had exploded so the dealer took care of it. Then the power steering belt broke and took the AC out with it. Not exaggerating in saying the car went in for at least 10 visits and half were on a flat bed. I really like the car other than the fact I don't know when I am going to be stranded by the car. The Dealer did a shoddy job of fixing the initial problem which turned out to be a leak in some gasket they found after about ten visits. It appears that caused all the other problems.

Engine when it works. Gas mileage is great.

Get rid of the turbos if they can't make it reliable. AC is a little lacking for the south.

Engine Failure
By Bimmer-R

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

This is not the best of BMW, this is my 2nd 5 Series and I expected better. Fuel leak twice, engine failure twice, car stopped once, engine rattling as if it was going to die most often than any used cheap car. Worst production twin turbo of BMW. Engine runs fast if it does not go nuts. I highly recommend people to buy another model with no turbo for now. My first one had the whole seat replaced, whole sun roof replaced, engine barrier replaced...this one had engine failure twice, disaster memory seat program, I hate to say this but I will really have to be convinced to buy another BMW this will go back to them! Do not learn it the hard way... read the other comments and you will know why.

Change the engine! Worst ever production of BMW twin turbo! They know the recall on the engine problem and still they close their eyes blindly!

Worst car I've ever owned
By Ryan

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

This is by far the worst car I have ever owned. You would think BMW would notify their customers if they had an issue with the car. The fuel injectors and the fuel pump are constantly malfunctioning and every time I take it in, they tell me there is no issue. This is my first BMW and my last.

Awesome with some quirks
By M. Corbin

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Had the dreaded engine issue that is common for these twin turbos but as long as I buy Chevron gas, it's no problem! Love the features and the performance capability. The fact that I won't pay for the first 4 yrs of service is a bonus. If you're looking to buy a new one, check into the European Delivery pkg so you can try it out on the Autobahn! U won't be disappointed.

Versatile auto trans BMW Assist free for life of warranty 300 HP! Auto wipers and high beams

Can't think of any