2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:
Phenomenal sedan
By sfgate on 06/21/08 09:23 AM (PDT)

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I have been considering a 5-series equivalent for 3 years, and the 535i is the most amazing car. The car is luxurious, yet when you drive it, it is like a sports car. The twin turbo accelerates so fast, that it pushes you backwards into the seat. It is so solid compard to my 330ci, and yet is accelerates faster. Cornering is not as nimble as my 3 series, but it's a bigger car. I don't know why people complain about iDrive; it's great. Anybody with any intelligence and who can use microsoft windows can use iDrive. It takes about 15 minutes to figure out, and it basically is a computer in your car without all the clutter. I have a 6spd manual, and I love it. It is smooth and sure. Amazing.

Stylish fun
By losgatosbimmer on 06/20/08 00:55 AM (PDT)

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Extremely fun to drive. Great acceleration and handling. Sports package is a must just for seats - you can configure them the way you want (I feel more comfortable in it, than in $1000+ office chair). The iPod connector is great (even for ~$400). I use it every day, forgot about radio and CD existence. Bluetooth easy to use and very good. Nav controlled by iDrive is the only dark spot in this review, I consider this feature serious mis-design - it's not usable period.

Fun to drive
By me on 04/29/08 19:50 PM (PDT)

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Just got the 535i with premium, sport, premium audio, hd radio, ipod, satellite. The car is really fun to drive, the handling is incredible. I like the iDrive, it adds a little mystery and class to the car. But I received the car with a non function sos system. I have to return to dealer and have it fixed. I hope this the only thing that goes wrong

2008 535i Black on Black
By gvitalik on 04/28/08 13:48 PM (PDT)

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Was considering several cars like Mercedes C350, E350, Lexus GS350, Infiniti G35, BMW 528i sport. After driving all of them, the 535i with sport, premium, navi, xenon blew them all away. Great transmission with 2 sport modes and paddle shifters. Car is glued to the road. Active suspension almost eliminates body roll. IDrive is functional just takes some time to learn all the menus. Picks up speed instantly, no turbo lag. Very fun to drive. My 1st BMW and now I know why its called ultimate driving machine. Other premium brands don't come close in road feeling.

3rd BMW
By tjm atl on 04/09/08 04:35 AM (PDT)

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Traded in my 05 545 for an 08 535i. BMW is obviously mis-representing the 300hp rating on this car. It is faster than the 08 550 off the line and is only .1 secs slower to 60mph. Why pay the extra 10K? The torque and shift sequencing is incredible, especially in Sport mode (don't be cheap, get the sport package). Loaded up on all the extras, Major improvements on the nav, iDrive and iPod interface. Thought I was possibly downgrading moving from 325hp down to 300hp, believe me... the 535 hands down out performs the 545, gets better gas mi. than the 550, and from my experience, is equally as fast.

535i Rocks
By Kid Rock on 02/29/08 11:14 AM (PST)

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

What's not to like. Style, class and the twin turbo is like a rocket. I drove the MB E class, to stuffy. The Lexus had no personality. The BMW does it all. What really sold me was seeing all three together. It was no competition for the BMW.

Hi-tech is great
By yeahim40 on 01/21/08 02:35 AM (PST)

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

When I was shopping for a car, it was the technology that sold me on the 5-series. I was a little negative about iDrive, but I've found it to be easy to live with. I love how integrated everything is - my iPod and phone are a part of the car. The heads up display is excellent, especially with directions from the navigation system on the windshield. The night vision camera is just plain cool. It's an easy car to drive with confidence. I recommend driving a sport vs. non- sport package car before buying the sport because the ride is pretty firm.

What a dream!
By Chris, Wheeling WV on 01/16/08 09:44 AM (PST)

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Just picked up my 08 535xi with Nav, Logic 7, SAT Radio, IPOD, Premium Pkg, PDC, Cold Weather & sport wheels. Handles great, fast as a rocket and the most comforable seats i've ever been in. IDRIVE is simple. Also the best headlight around. I dare you to drive it, you'll love this car. It screams luxury inside!

2008 BMW 5 Series 535i 4dr Sedan
By skippydrvr on 01/14/08 17:04 PM (PST)

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

This is the third BMW 5 series I've owned, and they've all been great cars. This is my favorite one, nudging out my 1995 540 6-spd. I got the sport package with automatic on this one to satisfy my wife. The twin turbo 6 cylinder is terrific, and the new 6-spd automatic works very well with quick decisive shifts. It's fast and gets very good mileage, averaging 23.5 mpg on my daily commute. The car handles like a sports car while being comfortable and rattle free. Despite car mag complains about the Bangle looks and the iDrive, I love them both. With the sport package and wheels, the car has a low aggressive look. Oh, and no problems in 8 months! This will be a long term keeper.

Blend of luxury and performance
By rndymn16 on 01/12/08 20:09 PM (PST)

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

The 535i has enough power to make it a performance car. They don't give you a lot (compared to Cadallac and Infiniti, etc) and the options are borderline ripoff, but what they do give you - fantastic. The 20 way sport seats and iPod adapter are worth it!!!

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan in WA is:

$168 per month*