2008 BMW 5 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:
Rocketship for the whole family
By Michael C on 08/21/10 07:56 AM (PDT)

2008 BMW 5 Series 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Absolutely amazing is the best way to describe it. My first BMW. Had the car for over 2 years now and could not imagine driving anything else within the same price range. The engine worried me for a short period but when I started using Chevron or Shell gas only, those problems disappeared. My bluetooth and IDrive seem to work flawlessly no matter which phone I pair to it. It was a whole lot more fun to drive it on the Autobahn (bought in Germany) but I can still find some open road every now and then and unleash it a little.

Fun, fun, fun
By Ron on 07/24/10 11:45 AM (PDT)

2008 BMW 5 Series 550i 4dr Sedan (4.8L 8cyl 6M)

A fun car to drive. Integrated an amazing sport car into a sedan body. Very responsive and safe. Very comfortable front seats and a great sound system. The rear seat is comfortable for 2 adults and one smaller adult in the center.

Great Sports Car
By Loving it! on 06/20/10 22:08 PM (PDT)

2008 BMW 5 Series 535xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

My first BMW. I drove all the competitors and settled on the 535xi because of its performance. It is a blast to drive I've had it now for three years and still enjoy getting into it every day. I live in the Rockies and it is unbelievable on mountain roads. Excellent in the snow with AWD. My only negatives are, the seats are not real comfortable on longer drives and the cup holders are a joke.

No substitute for a V8
By tjdjr on 05/18/10 15:10 PM (PDT)

2008 BMW 5 Series 550i 4dr Sedan (4.8L 8cyl 6M)

You will not be disappointed with the 550i Sport Package. You must order the sport package with the sport transmission which includes the "wow" button and paddle shifters. You also must order the Logic 7 audio with the USB iPod adapter. Finally Heads up display should be on your option list along with NAV. This car is very comfortable at 90 miles per hour on the interstate. At a steady 75 MPH you will get 24-25 MPG, about 17 MPG around town. I have owned a 2006 750LI, a 2004 Porsche C4S Cabriolet, a 2003 540i Sport Package and other than the open air motoring of the Cab this car takes the best pieces of each and puts them in a single package. Find a good used one with low miles!

2008 BMW 535i Sport
By BillPort on 04/27/10 18:09 PM (PDT)

2008 BMW 5 Series 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

The 535 with the Sport Package is truly a 4-door sports car. Seating adjustments abound and you can program different profiles on the different keys. Handling is superb and 4 wheel drifts are doable with the "Anti-s" disabled. I averaged 20.7 MPG combined city/hwy. Sport mode and paddle shifters are a hoot. If it weren't for repair issues, I would love this car. Hi-pressure fuel valve went out 2x in 3 months. Unacceptable for car in this price range. Cheap materials in sunshades (no extender), cupholders are crap. Reverse light burned out at 33K miles. Turbo lag is noticeable at take off and throttle is 'twitchy' at take off. I want more time driving, not in shop, even w/warranty.

UBER WAGON
By AM on 04/25/10 19:51 PM (PDT)

2008 BMW 5 Series 535xi 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Got rid of XC90 for this wagon. I-drive is simple, can set buttons on wheel for fast control. hands free is excellent, much better than my wife's '10 MDX. Comfort seats are unbelievable - makes the purchase. I am now a cornering demon and still get better mileage then my XC90 or the MDX even though they are driven more conservative. The car is also the quietest I've ever owned. My brake pads started squealing and I did not hear until I opened the windows. Plenty of room for 4 adults and a big dog. The cargo cover also has a pet partition built in. Ride quality is superb and unexpected for such a capable sport machine. Price if too high so buy used.

Wait a second - it's a wagon
By goodmaj on 04/09/10 20:28 PM (PDT)

2008 BMW 5 Series 535xi 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

You won't believe you're driving a wagon. It drives just as well as the sedan. Sport seats are completely the way to go, very, very comfortable for long trips. Performance is great, next thing you know you're driving 80. Perhaps too many commands/too much functionality in iDrive, I would probably prefer a bit of a mix though in 2008 this got better - Audi MMI is probably better. But, that said, if you're familiar with computers, even at a basic level, you'll be just fine. Tight steering, decent suspension. Neat wagon-y features in the back too such as cubbys for groceries.

On the fence
By OnTheFence on 04/05/10 09:13 AM (PDT)

2008 BMW 5 Series 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

My lease comes up at the end of the year but not sure if I would buy it. It was at the dealership multiple times due to the high pressure fuel pump and gasket leak issues. Morning starts feel like a boat motor. Engine misfires. Car lurches back and jumps forward at stop lights etc. It's a joy to drive when the engine is trouble free. I-drive is so slow it drives me nuts. The blutooth works about 50% of the time. I'm eying the infiniti M and the lexus G because I really want a trouble free vehicle with better ergonomics. I'll have to sacrifice the driving dynamics of this vehicle though. There should not be a compromise for a $60,000+ car.

Fuel System Problems
By Tom on 04/04/10 10:52 AM (PDT)

2008 BMW 5 Series 535xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Great car, amazing when running well. My 535 is having a lot of problems with the car running very rough and has had several engine malfunctions. The dealership has put in a new module, high pressure pump (HPP), and several new injectors. Problem is routine to N54 engine. BMW acknowledges the problem is a design fault. Check out and have good warranty if purchasing. Love the car when it works.

535XI Wagon w/Dinan Stage II
By njtriguy on 04/01/10 15:24 PM (PDT)

2008 BMW 5 Series 535xi 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Stuck with the basics (sport Package, upgraded stereo, premium package), did not get run flats - and am VERY happy with the car. Have had no mechanical issues. Added Dinan Stage II upgrade and the car is scary fast while still getting 25+mpg on the highway. I love the exclusivity (under 900 2009's sold) and the ability to fly under the radar and behind large SUVs on the highway. Now that the 2011 wagon will not be brought into the US, I am glad to be "stuck" with this beautiful car for many more years.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.