Used 2008 BMW 5 Series Consumer Reviews - 194 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

My BMW 535XI Nightmare
By beinspired65

2008 BMW 5 Series 535xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I purchsed my 08 BMW XI used 60k miles on it, for the first 6 mos it was all good, while driving out of town the veh completely shut down (water pump), and since this happened there has been one repair after the other, I've always wanted a BMW, after repeated breakdowns and countless repairs, uless the veh is leased, do not waste your money you will end up spending more than anticipated. I've often heard you can drive a BMW for 100k miles with no issues....absolutely not true, and the worse part is you do not know there is a problem until the incator shows up on the dash or the vehicle shuts completely down. VERY FRUSTRATING EXPERIENCE!!!!!!

handling is superb.

EVERYTHING

Fun to drive, poor reliability & expensive to fix
By mqc99

2008 BMW 5 Series 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

This was my 1st and last BMW. Bought the car new, in the 6 years and 34K miles I've owned the car, I had a
faulty battery, bad fuel pump, dead oxygen sensor, and a failed water pump.
I was stranded 3 times (car completely died) and almost stranded twice. So, multiple trips to the shops and over 2 grand of repair bills later, I have finally gave up on this "ultimate driving machine". It was a fun car to drive while it worked. But, for a $60K car, I'd expect BMW to deliver something better. The worst part is that I totally lost my confidence in it and can no longer feel comfortable taking this car on any extended trips. This will be the LAST BMW I ever spend my money on.

Nice handling. It drives very well when things are working.

Improve product quality and reliability. Quality is not just about handling, it is also about driver confidence. When you can't build customer trust in your product, you loose the customer. Learn from how Acura and Lexus on how they have built customer loyalty. If you don't improve your product quality, you will loose to your competitions. Take a page from the lessons learned by the American auto makers in the 80's and 90's. They took some hard hits before they wised up and got their act together. Today, they have much better products. BMW, if you don't take care of your product quality, you will face the same hardship GM, Ford and Chrysler did 20 years ago.

Fun to drive
By david_welch

2008 BMW 5 Series 535xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I was looking for an AWD sport sedan with a 6 speed manual transmission.
The BMW 535xi is the only option in the luxury market.

The car is outstanding.
It handles extremely well at high speeds and tight corners.
The brakes are fantastic and can stop reliably.

I wanted a 6 speed manual and the transmission is superb. Shifting is smooth but can be done quickly if accelerating -- merging on the highway is no trouble at all.

The AWD is great and I just took the car out for its first test in a New England blizzard.
The plow trucks were all out and I only saw a few Audis and Subarus on the road.
The BMW climbed icy hills with no trouble at all.
Did some donuts too - good times.

Twin turbo engine, 6 speed manual transmission, large trunk, room for 5 adults. All wheel drive is great.

Better cup holders and easier to use climate control. The iDrive system is a pain, but the climate control cryptography is simply ridiculous. I shouldn't have to pull over the car just to change the heat/AC settings.

Overcomplicated & Unreliable
By samarthvader

2008 BMW 5 Series 535xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

My 2008 535xi has 50,000 miles on it. There always seems to be something going wrong with it every few months.
It has been one of the most unreliable cars I've ever owned, but when it is working it is a blast to drive. Even the simplest repairs are ridiculously expensive, and you are often forced to going to the dealer as most independent shops cannot work with the BMW computer system.

I don't know what they were thinking when they designed idrive. It takes an engineering degree to change radio stations through idrive. I guess over engineering is the BMW way.

This will probably be my 1st and last BMW...

Great combination of performance and efficiency.

Reliability.

Bullet proof reliability in my 535i Sport Package
By jackspotnspike

2008 BMW 5 Series 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought mine used with 40000 miles and with 65000 miles now. I am very happy with the performance and reliability. Nothing has gone wrong with it. I recently put brakes on at an independent BMW shop for $1200, complete.

When I punch the accelerator the car is a rocket. It looks great (deep sea blue with natural brown leather seats and tints windows). The seven spoke alloys with the sport package are perfect.

High performance engine, decent fuel economy, no reliability issues.