Used 2008 BMW 5 Series 528i Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

Great auto
By Professor

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is my 4th BMW in the past 15 years and by far the best. The smooth engine/transmission cannot be beat. Local mpg is about 25 and highway is always 31-32 mpg at speed limit plus. The seats are comfortable even after 15 hour interstate runs. It has operated perfectly in all ways with the only trips to the dealer for oil and regular service. I did not originally like the body design but the driving balance and smooth functioning of the car have won me over. i-drive works easily if you spend 10 minutes to learn it rather than fearing and griping about it.

Favorite Features

smooth engine, seating comfort, fuel mileage, driving balance, xenons

Suggested Improvements

standard folding back seat, put usable cup holder in the console

Great Car
By Snuggles

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is an awesome family car that mixes in fun. Every time I drive it, I feel special, even after a year and a half. The 528i has plenty of power. The 535i + have more than plenty of power. Corners delightfully. Rides well over bad pavement. The vinyl looks like real leather.

Favorite Features

Steering, ride, strong and predictable brakes, smooth engine, great stock seats, outside looks, prestige. The controls are sublime.

Suggested Improvements

Make ventilated seats standard, or at least offer them without leather. Offer cloth and diesel engines like they do in Europe. Leather and vinyl are hot in the summer, cold in the winter, and make the driver sweat.

2008 BMW 528i
By drao

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I purchased this car as a commuting vehicle. It is a joy to drive on a day to day basis, very quiet to exterior sounds, quick, refined and luxurious. Previously I was driving a 2007 Mercedes C230 in which I had some recurring issues -- not so with the 528i -- absolutely awesome car!! This was the perfect choice for me and my (small) family. We do some trips once in a while and this car is perfect for our needs. If I had a couple more kids then I'd have opted for a minivan or SUV for sure with the additional space.

Favorite Features

Comfort Seats, Auto folding exterior Mirrors, Sports driving mode

Suggested Improvements

Standard fold down rear seats.

Love To Drive This Car
By Rhm4BMW

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is my second BMW, had a 325I which was really a great drives car. The 528I is a little more refine to drive, but step on the gas and this baby gives no pause. Had mine at 141 mph. Straight as an arrow, never scared. Do Not Try This. I can only imagine the 535, 550, M3 or M5. BMW is the best.

Favorite Features

Handling, interior, sat radio, and exterior styling.

Suggested Improvements

BMWs are for people who loves to drive, especially with sunglasses on. So where is THE SUNGLASSES HOLDER. Minor problem, but it might just complete a near perfect car.

Finally back in a BMW
By jeffmatt

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I do not know why I ever left BMW. Maybe is was that the grass looked greener at MB. A Benz is probably the best car to ride in, but the BMW is the best car to drive. And I like to drive. I am coming out of an 07 E350 and just bought a 08 528i. What a difference. The 528 is so fun to drive, that I cannot wipe the smile off of my face. It just handles so well and there is plenty of power in the 528. You really do not need the 535. It definitely reminds me of my 2000 528 which I liked very much. Purchased car with premium & sport packages, navigation, auto, iPod and xenons. Great package. The E350 was like driving a sofa down the freeway. The 528 is like a sports car, it is on rails.

Favorite Features

Handling, styling, new auto shifter, iDrive (and yes iDrive is complicated. If you want a information center to provide a lot of features, then there will be some amount of complication, but it blew me away) and the comfort seats (none better).

Suggested Improvements

none