2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:
Fun to Drive--but has many issues
By Marty B on 04/10/09 15:02 PM (PDT)

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

This has been a recurring problem with the '08 535i where the engine light comes on: ENGINE MALFUNCTION-reduce power. I took it once to Palm Springs BMW, but they did absolutely nothing. I took it to Pacific BMW where they replaced the fuel pump back in Nov 08. Early April I took it to Alexander for the same problem--ENGINE MALFUNCTION- reduce power. It turns out to be a leaking high pressure pump and broken injector. Both were replaced, and now it's in working order. All at no cost. How soon will it be before the ENGINE MALFUNCTION--reduce power light appears? I was promised that everything is in working condition. Yes, but how long? We have a 353i coupe with the same problem.

Reliable, I don't think so
By John M on 12/20/08 14:03 PM (PST)

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Bought new in April, has been in the shop at least twice a month every month since then transmission problems (wouldn't shift into reverse) computer problems with the iDrive, check engine light/oil/coolant lights comes on with regularity, rough starting - attributed to carbon build up on the valves, cleaned 300 miles ago and now back again. Very disappointed in my $60k car, and find no help at the dealership either, phone calls go unreturned and requests to have BMW USA involved have been ignored so far. I was so excited to get this car, and now it has turned into one of the worst decisions I ever made

Great Value. Great Performance Part 2
By So. Cal. D. on 10/29/08 20:19 PM (PDT)

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Through the break-in period and after a few weeks of having the car in So. California I thought it worthwhile to confirm that the car is terrific day in and day out. Two additional notes: It is very difficult to stay within the speed limit. I'd say the car has the character of a jet-fighter. So capable that you're crossing over 100 mph just merging into traffic from the on-ramp (and you didn't hear or feel any noticeable change, except for the acceleration, along the way). Also, it's a bit difficult to have fun and achieve more than 20 mpg. And that's where speed limits and busy roadways help out - - they keep you from riding the afterburners all day. :)

The "Ultimate Driving Machine"I know why
By rclimbing on 10/09/08 06:41 AM (PDT)

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I now know why the BMW is now called the "Ultimate Driving Machine". The 535i is the best car I have ever driven. It has a solid feel and the handling is amazing. It sticks like glue while corning. I test drove a bunch of cars - Infiniti, Lexus, and Acura. None of these cars drive like the 5 series. I went with the 5 series despite the fact it costs more, but it's worth every penny!

Fun to drive
By Telloborja on 09/01/08 20:31 PM (PDT)

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

After 6 months I have enjoyed this machine plentifully, it drives fun. The most impressive to me is the powerful motor and small details on how it handles the curves.

Great Performance, Great Value.
By So Cal D. on 08/29/08 09:27 AM (PDT)

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Took ED and drove 600 miles across So. Germany in 3 days. Ably handled everything from tight country roads, windy descents to 100+ mph cruising & stop n go on the Autobahn. Averaged 26+ mpg. Coming from Acura TL, never thought I'd say "Good value" about a BMW, but the performance, ride, sound and handling are so amazingly solid while seating 4, it's difficult to imagine why you'd spend so much more for a little impractical Porsche (compare 0-60), or unpredictable Maserati GT. Great touring, great speedster and terrific looking. Easily translates from mellow to "let's go!" especially at the touch of the "Sport" button. Higher revs, immediate response.

A Superb Vechicle
By gordon on 08/28/08 12:57 PM (PDT)

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

After one month of ownership and 2,000 miles, this is clearly a superior automobile. All of my expectation have either been met or exceeded. IDrive is not the most user friendly, but also not difficult to master.

Simply the perfect car. It morphs.
By Big Tony on 08/20/08 17:52 PM (PDT)

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Want a comfortable car? How about one that can go from a cruise, to a race in seconds? This is the one you want. Why sacrifice comfort, convenience, or practically for pure driving pleasure (like Porsche), when you can have it all? I drove a bunch of Audis, checked out a bunch of Mercs - but man, after having another BMW, you can't change to anything else. Only Germans can make REAL cars. I'm biased, and some people don't really care about the driving experience. But if you do, German cars, and in this class, especially BMW is the only game in town.

Fifth 5 series, but the last two horrible
By Lone Ranger on 07/21/08 09:57 AM (PDT)

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I took delivery in June, 2007, but because of an issue with "High Battery Drain When Car Stopped" that they could not fix, they replaced my car in June, 2008, with another identical one. This one has the same problems, and is still at the service department. They cannot figure out the problem. Worst two vehicles I have ever had.

5 series trumps 3
By hdrag3 on 07/08/08 09:47 AM (PDT)

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

We bought an arctic white with tan int. 535i and after only 900 miles we have to say we enjoy this vehicle immensely. The 300hp turbo engine is great although the gas mileage of 12 we get in the city doesn't even come close to the window sticker promise of 17. All other reviews are accurate with the cupholders and weirdness of iDrive. It's not that the iDrive is hard to use, but when coupled with nav, and having to scroll and type, it can get tiresome. But other features, such as a/c controls, and awesome bluetooth -- they just changed the laws here in CA, and it's already saved me a few tickets -- it's really leaps and bounds above the 04 325ci BMW we traded for this one.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.