Used 2008 BMW 5 Series 535i Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

Charge me
By longrun

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

In all the recent reviews of this model,I do not see the most exasperating quality of it's day to day performance. I refer to the battery drain when parked.The first winter I used the car,I did not start it for about 3 weeks since I do not drive on salted roads. The display had suffered a 'reset' which happens when the battery voltage gets too low. I received a statement from BMW that the car must be driven at least 40-50 miles daily to avoid this reset happening.I am retired and use the car mainly for shorter distances-less than 50 miles.As a result I have to connect a 'sustaining' charger every 2 or 3 days to keep the volts up. Annoying and apparently still needed on the 2011's!

Favorite Features

Clever shift action-digital along with the wipers and indicators. Excellent performance with no turbo lag.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the battery problem,reduce the drain when parked or use a separate battery for sustaining the computer power supply.

Rocketship for the whole family
By Michael C

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Absolutely amazing is the best way to describe it. My first BMW. Had the car for over 2 years now and could not imagine driving anything else within the same price range. The engine worried me for a short period but when I started using Chevron or Shell gas only, those problems disappeared. My bluetooth and IDrive seem to work flawlessly no matter which phone I pair to it. It was a whole lot more fun to drive it on the Autobahn (bought in Germany) but I can still find some open road every now and then and unleash it a little.

Favorite Features

Superb handling for a sedan, adaptive headlights, comfort access (keyless ignition), 4 yrs free maintenance, IDrive interface and I could go on.

Suggested Improvements

Ditch the run-flat tires on performance vehicles.

2008 BMW 535i Sport
By BillPort

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

The 535 with the Sport Package is truly a 4-door sports car. Seating adjustments abound and you can program different profiles on the different keys. Handling is superb and 4 wheel drifts are doable with the "Anti-s" disabled. I averaged 20.7 MPG combined city/hwy. Sport mode and paddle shifters are a hoot. If it weren't for repair issues, I would love this car. Hi-pressure fuel valve went out 2x in 3 months. Unacceptable for car in this price range. Cheap materials in sunshades (no extender), cupholders are crap. Reverse light burned out at 33K miles. Turbo lag is noticeable at take off and throttle is 'twitchy' at take off. I want more time driving, not in shop, even w/warranty.

Favorite Features

Road handling is excellent. No drift or mushy feel. Seat adjustments, sport mode, Steptronic with paddle shifters all make for great ride. Ability to disable anti-skid/spin features. Bluetooth - when it works.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the hi-pressure fuel pump problem! Improve take off throttle response. Cup holders. I-drive is okay, but not intuitive. Voice command not always responsive.

On the fence
By OnTheFence

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

My lease comes up at the end of the year but not sure if I would buy it. It was at the dealership multiple times due to the high pressure fuel pump and gasket leak issues. Morning starts feel like a boat motor. Engine misfires. Car lurches back and jumps forward at stop lights etc. It's a joy to drive when the engine is trouble free. I-drive is so slow it drives me nuts. The blutooth works about 50% of the time. I'm eying the infiniti M and the lexus G because I really want a trouble free vehicle with better ergonomics. I'll have to sacrifice the driving dynamics of this vehicle though. There should not be a compromise for a $60,000+ car.

Favorite Features

Turbo engine is a blast. The car is fun to drive. The sport seats are amazingly comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

The engine suffers too many problems. The leather seats are coming off of the seams at the bottom? the cup holders are pathetic. Bluetooth that works.

Screaming Fast
By BVBEAMER

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I have owned 2 Acura TL's, and Infiniti G35 and several other lower model Acura's and even a 1987 325. This car is a blast to drive. Super fast. You can take a corner as fast as you want and the traction control will prevent you from ever losing control. Tried that in a G35 and the car spun out. I've had some issues with battery drain and dealer said battery was fine. After reading many posts I decided to get BMW battery tender. Very easy to use and BMW didn't engineer the car to properly maintain battery charge if you are opening closing doors, trunk etc without driving it. Knock on wood. haven't had trouble. I do notice trans lag when car is cold but is fine after a few minutes.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive, acceleration, handling, infinite seat adjustments, logic 7 stereo, idrive (yes it's cool), 18 inch sport wheels, cruise control better than other vehicles, displays exact speed and maintains it even when going down steep hills, super cold ac. Yes, I love this car.

Suggested Improvements

Center Console needs more storage. I'm fine with the cup holders. Worried about maintenance costs when I'm out of warranty based on comments in this forum.