Used 2008 BMW 5 Series 535i Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

One fine auto.
By jpcoregon

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought the 2008 535i certified, including the maint. program to 100K miles 10/08. Outside of the horrendous experience with the lack of honesty and integrity of the BMW dealer, the car is superb. Too bad the certified program still makes one visit a BMW dealership. The car's comfort, ability to handle as well as it's outright performance is just plain fun. I quickly dumped the run-flats on this Sport model and bought high end Michelin UHP tires. The difference is a better ride and performance all the way around. Huge lack of space for change, eyeglasses and little things. Cupholders are poor, but one forgets as this thing gets up and runs.

Comfort seats, Sport package, ENGINE. The way it moves and purrs as one goes down the highway or a windy road ('ya live for those). I enjoy the looks overall quite a bit...not really at first, but it has warmed on me, like a very good woman who is rather plain looking. The resale value is a very good thing and so far, albeit a few minor items and one recall pump (all tco under warranty), this car has been very reliable. It remain quiet at all times, with no creaks or rattles.

i-Drive is a clever idea that is executed poorly. It is a tolerable, but requires WAY too many steps and contortions to input basic information. Is is needlessly complex, but in the end, after all the inputting and requiring too much attention, it does work. The newer 5's did add better space cubbies up front, so that is good. I drove the new 2011 5-series as my vehicle was in for a warranty issue, and in no way cared for it as much as my own...surprised in a big way...nicer interior, like the looks but the fun factor went on vacation...I am happy and will keep mine. Overall, a very fun, enjoyable car that makes me grin as I get to drice it each day. Gotta love the German sedans...

BIG Disappointment
By mbarrio1

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Just got the 535 back after the recall- -engine malfunction--and got stuck on the side of the freeway. This is the third time, and it's the second replacement of the high pressured fuel pump. So it's the third fuel pump on this 5 series. I love the drive, but am concerned about the reliability factor since I've been stuck on the side of the road three times--NOT FUN! If I get another BMW, maybe one without the turbo, since that seems to be the cause of the engine malfunction.

I love the drive and the fact that with a sporty drive, I get 18 city and 26 highway. There's that surge of power from 50 to 70 in a matter of seconds with the help of the bi-turbo, AWESOME!

Let's make sure that the third installed high pressure fuel pump is it. Otherwise, I hope BMW pays for the fourth, and the fifth, and the sixth

Too many problems
By S

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Fun car to drive, great performance, good fuel economy-but- way too many major mechanical problems. In three years there have been a major oil leak- had to carry a quart of oil with me to get it to the nearest dealer-battery failure, compressor failure and most recently high pressure fuel pump failure 400 miles from home. On several occasions BMW has been less than cooperative in addressing the warranty repair.

Fun to drive, comfortable on long trips.

Way too many mechanical issues for a car of this price. My confidence level in the mechanical reliability of this car is very low.

Charge me
By longrun

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

In all the recent reviews of this model,I do not see the most exasperating quality of it's day to day performance. I refer to the battery drain when parked.The first winter I used the car,I did not start it for about 3 weeks since I do not drive on salted roads. The display had suffered a 'reset' which happens when the battery voltage gets too low. I received a statement from BMW that the car must be driven at least 40-50 miles daily to avoid this reset happening.I am retired and use the car mainly for shorter distances-less than 50 miles.As a result I have to connect a 'sustaining' charger every 2 or 3 days to keep the volts up. Annoying and apparently still needed on the 2011's!

Clever shift action-digital along with the wipers and indicators. Excellent performance with no turbo lag.

Fix the battery problem,reduce the drain when parked or use a separate battery for sustaining the computer power supply.

Rocketship for the whole family
By Michael C

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Absolutely amazing is the best way to describe it. My first BMW. Had the car for over 2 years now and could not imagine driving anything else within the same price range. The engine worried me for a short period but when I started using Chevron or Shell gas only, those problems disappeared. My bluetooth and IDrive seem to work flawlessly no matter which phone I pair to it. It was a whole lot more fun to drive it on the Autobahn (bought in Germany) but I can still find some open road every now and then and unleash it a little.

Superb handling for a sedan, adaptive headlights, comfort access (keyless ignition), 4 yrs free maintenance, IDrive interface and I could go on.

Ditch the run-flat tires on performance vehicles.

• SUV