2008 BMW 5 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:
Great Car!
By sanjay8 on 01/10/11 18:19 PM (PST)

2008 BMW 5 Series 535xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought this car used about 1 year ago with 35000 miles and I have put on another 10,000 miles in the past year. The drive is amazing. It has had no problems as yet. After reading the reviews I am not sure if should keep this car past its warranty, which is up in 6 months. Sounds like the twin turbo is a problem. There is a recall in Canada to correct the high pressure fuel pump.

Great When Not in for Service
By Ed on 11/14/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2008 BMW 5 Series 535xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Comfortable, fun to drive and looks great. It's loaded with the Premium, Cold Weather and Sports package. I really do enjoy driving this to work and longer distances. My only complaint is how many times the car has been in the shop. Although I enjoy the car, this will most likely be my last BMW purchase. I can't justify all the service visits even though I'm not paying a dime. My previous car, which was a Nissan, was much better in this area.

BIG Disappointment
By mbarrio1 on 11/11/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2008 BMW 5 Series 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Just got the 535 back after the recall- -engine malfunction--and got stuck on the side of the freeway. This is the third time, and it's the second replacement of the high pressured fuel pump. So it's the third fuel pump on this 5 series. I love the drive, but am concerned about the reliability factor since I've been stuck on the side of the road three times--NOT FUN! If I get another BMW, maybe one without the turbo, since that seems to be the cause of the engine malfunction.

Rocket Ship Performance, Stellar Comfort
By Mo on 11/11/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2008 BMW 5 Series 550i 4dr Sedan (4.8L 8cyl 6M)

Just bought this car to replace my 2003 BMW 745Li. Got it with a short shift manual transmission, sport package and aero kit. The car is stellar in performance and handling - a breath of fresh air from my trusty 745. This is my eleventh BMW and is just as reliable if not better than the others. Brings back memories of my 1990 535i 5 speed. The comfort seats are very supportive and provide enough bolstering to encourage spirited driving

Too many problems
By S on 10/17/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2008 BMW 5 Series 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Fun car to drive, great performance, good fuel economy-but- way too many major mechanical problems. In three years there have been a major oil leak- had to carry a quart of oil with me to get it to the nearest dealer-battery failure, compressor failure and most recently high pressure fuel pump failure 400 miles from home. On several occasions BMW has been less than cooperative in addressing the warranty repair.

The Best Car For A Man
By Jake on 10/05/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2008 BMW 5 Series 550i 4dr Sedan (4.8L 8cyl 6M)

The 550i is amazing. It handles beautifully. The power is so amazing. It just pulls you into the seat. The headlights are awesome. The sound system is A+. There is nothing that I could think of that needs to be changed in the 550i. The seats are also a huge deal. They are super comfortable. The only thing is it eats fuel but the highway fuel economy is really good. But it's worth paying extra for fuel because the power is a great feeling.

Charge me
By longrun on 09/12/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2008 BMW 5 Series 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

In all the recent reviews of this model,I do not see the most exasperating quality of it's day to day performance. I refer to the battery drain when parked.The first winter I used the car,I did not start it for about 3 weeks since I do not drive on salted roads. The display had suffered a 'reset' which happens when the battery voltage gets too low. I received a statement from BMW that the car must be driven at least 40-50 miles daily to avoid this reset happening.I am retired and use the car mainly for shorter distances-less than 50 miles.As a result I have to connect a 'sustaining' charger every 2 or 3 days to keep the volts up. Annoying and apparently still needed on the 2011's!

Awesome when it runs
By Tom on 08/29/10 17:54 PM (PDT)

2008 BMW 5 Series 535xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Great car to drive when it runs. Can has been in the shop 8 times in 6 months. Fuel injector, fuel pump, electrical problem, don't trust the car anymore. Go figure buy a dream car and it is junk.

Great Off Lease Purchase
By hman on 08/23/10 15:54 PM (PDT)

2008 BMW 5 Series 535xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Shopped for 2 months on numerous online sites and through local dealers to find exactly the configuration and price I was looking for. This car was $61,500 new 3 years ago, and I purchased for $36,000 with 35K on the odometer, about the same as I paid for my last car - which was a new Avalon Limited. The Avalon was pretty high tech and comfortable, but this car is an incredibly better value for many reasons. It is about as fun to drive as any car under $100,000 could be. The integrated IPod connection through the I-Drive combined with the Logic 7 sound system (highly recommended!) is superb. Premium (only) gas mileage has been about 17.5 in town and 26.5 highway.

Rocketship for the whole family
By Michael C on 08/21/10 07:56 AM (PDT)

2008 BMW 5 Series 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Absolutely amazing is the best way to describe it. My first BMW. Had the car for over 2 years now and could not imagine driving anything else within the same price range. The engine worried me for a short period but when I started using Chevron or Shell gas only, those problems disappeared. My bluetooth and IDrive seem to work flawlessly no matter which phone I pair to it. It was a whole lot more fun to drive it on the Autobahn (bought in Germany) but I can still find some open road every now and then and unleash it a little.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2008 BMW 5 Series in WA is:

$168 per month*