2008 BMW 5 Series 528i Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Sort Reviews by

Fun car
By turnlund

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

We have 140K miles on this car; only recurring issue has been the high pressure fuel pump. BMW replaced it twice, no charge and no questions. Very impressive car, we have at least 60K miles left in it.

Favorite Features

Engine, sport suspension, seats

Issues and bad design for very basic features
By msimps

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I bought a CPO 2008 528 xi a year and half ago and have had quite a few issues that I think I shouldn't have for a car that is 4 years old. The driver side sport seat stopped working correctly. A couple months ago my battery died. $460 to replace that. You cannot do it yourself. It needs to be paired with the electrical devices in the car. This week my AC went out. Turns out there was a leak in the AC system and while my car was getting repaired they discovered a leak in my transmission. The tires that don't go flat cannot be repaired. Be prepared to buy a new tire and hope they have one in stock or you are out of commission until they get one.

Favorite Features

The car is very fun to drive and corners amazingly. The acceleration is great and the brakes are really good. I feel very safe driving this car. It's extremely responsive. It is also a very nice looking car. Everyone comments on what a gorgeous car it is.

Suggested Improvements

Reliability is a huge issue. A car this new that costs this much should not have these kinds of problems. The car has been over-engineered. Towing this car because of a dead battery required a special tow hook that needs to be screwed into the front bumper and you also need to locate a special tool that is kept in the trunk to use to disengage the transmission. This car allows notifies you when it needs service by a small message that is displayed briefly. Of course nothing needs service at the same time. The AC/heat controls are separate for the driver and passenger. There is no way to adjust both at the same time to be the same temp. iDrive is very confusing to very simple tasks.

Too Many Problems
By kblack1

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 550i 4dr Sedan (4.8L 8cyl 6M)

Just to start, this is not my first car or my second. I understand there are no guarantees in life and cars are finnicky. Sometimes you just get a bad apple. But for the $$$ a 550i costs those apples should be fixed properly and the owner satisfied. I have owned quite a few vehicles in my now 17 years of driving. 2 of which were a 2003 325xi and a 2006 330i sport. Both of which had no problems. I purchased the 550i in 2010 with 33k miles. It was a CPO, which gave me comfort purchasing a used car. Not any more!!! I seriously doubt this car was properly inspected. Which is what I told BMW, and they passed the buck to the dealer who basically told me F off. Consistent problems!

Favorite Features

I have had the vehicle for a year and a half now. It spent 3 of the first 4 months I owned it in the dealer trying to fix the Idrive/Nav/climate system, and in total 5 of the first 16 months. climate control would go on , on its own. The Nav screen would blank out while driving. The radio wouldnt turn on. Other than that here is a list of other repairs: power steering pump, battery, wiper motor, climate vents wouldnt open, CD stuck in radio, transmission needed recalibration, water pump, brake issues, and the Idrive system still takes way too long to load at start. All that being said the performance and handling of the car are great. It is also a gorgeous vehicle with the M sport pac

Suggested Improvements

I think maybe BMW should stick to what they do best and make good performance vehicles, and leave out all the bells and whistles until they are sure they work properly. I understand people want those options and they want to compete, but the negativity that what I have gone through brings is I'm not sure I would ever purchase another BMW, which is sad because they make cars that perform well and look good. I know I am one person and they sell millions of cars, but I doubt I am the only one with these issues. And as I said earlier this is my 3rd BMW and I planned on buying them for the rest of my life until this happened.

Excellent car!
By btr08

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Bought a new 528i, and had it for 2 years and drove only 8K miles. The bad: the pressure pump light came on initially (a relatively common issue addressed by several other BMW reviewers). This was promptly fixed by the dealership without any charge. The good: everything else! One of the best, if not the best, car I've ever driven. Great handling!!! Definitely unique! Seats are awesome! Stereo very good! 21 mpg (85% city- 15% hwy). Extremely quiet cabin, etc. In summary, it gives you that rich person car drive felling. Then I traded it in, as I got a great deal on a Volvo XC60, which is also great. If BMW were overall more reliable, the competition would really suffer.

Favorite Features

handling and seats.

Suggested Improvements

cupholders.

CPO Bmw 535i 2008
By bilalch

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I have had this car for about 1 year now. I bought this as a CPO it had about 30,000 miles on it. Considering all the comparative models (Audi, Merc)I found this to be the most fun car to drive. I also liked the interior better then others (yes even better then 08 A6) I think it is more of personal preference, the interior is clean, high quality and purposeful. Built quality is great, offcourse drives awesome. Not much to complain about this car. Prob would buy a 5 series after this one (although am not so sure of the new model, the Bmw seems to have gotten soft on their design and the new 2011 one is more like a Merc, cant say much about drive though as have not driven it)

Favorite Features

sport seats. twin turbo engine ( the thing I noticed about different 300 HP cars from other auto makers is the way it is utilized (if that make any sense) An other way to describe it would be hmm the way the power is transmitted to the road, no body does it better then BMW. exterior styling

Suggested Improvements

CUP HOLDERS (what in the world were you thinking in Germany) Better stock tires (mine are Goodyear's RS-A came with the car) these are the worst tires you can find on a sports sedan. Most BMW's come with continental's which believe me are much better. My Goodyear's are actually dangerous (not just bad but actually dangerous) on wet surfaces, provide decent traction on dry surface though.

Great When Everything Works - Over Designed
By timbo52

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Exhilerating and fun when everything works! Love to drive my 2008 535i with Sport package- when it is not in the shop. Lots of power and totally responsive. Many problems which has been worked on under the factory warranty.1) entire head lamp module (less than 1 wk after delivery), 2)fuel pump, 3)fuel injectors, 4)car suddenly went into limp (lower power) mode when entering hwy- no solution yet from BMW(fortunately I was not in heavy traffic), 5)new gear shift handle, 6) iDrive goes crazy-dead black screen. Hopefully, nothing else shows up. I love the way the car handles but the trips to the service department has become too aggravating! Selling before warranty ends!Bitter/sweet experience.

Favorite Features

Very safe. Sport mode is awesome. No hesitation on demand for power. Smooth.... It loves the curves. Fun to drive! Nice and roomy. Feels like it was born to run... Fast. Be careful and use the audible speed alarm so you won't get tickets. But it also has a quiet elegance. Well behaved in a mature way. The BMW driveabiltiy will be the benchmark for my next car but I will put "RELIABILITY"high on my list.

Suggested Improvements

A more intuitive navigation system. Upgrade time is very very slow. Even my low end TomTom is easier to use. Need complete redesign of the iDrive. Redesign the iDrive system to make it more user friendly. Too many buttons to push to get you where you want to go. Very distracting when compared to other car manufacturers. You need an a passenger to work the IDrive for the driver. Should have fold down rear seats. IMPROVE THE RELIABILITY!!!! No machine is perfect, but this car cost too much for such poor reliability issues. You buy the car to drive.... but not to drive it to the shop so frequently. Scale back on the over-engineering and complexity.

Poor reliability and dealer experience
By hooch999

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 550i 4dr Sedan (4.8L 8cyl 6M)

I guess my expectations were set too high - dealer sold me this CPO car with a bent wheel, no floor mats and various missing bolts and accessories (as discovered later). Overall car handles quite well, but does not shine in any area: braking is good, but touchy and not progressive acceleration is good but vibrations coming form V8 are way too much for a luxury car, plus there's not much torque below 2000 rpm. Leather on seats wears off way too quick, sport seats are not super comfortable, front leg room is surprisingly small In less than 1 year I had to visit dealer for repairs 6 times! And car still has issues with leaking wiper system, shuddering on idle and jerky transmission.

Favorite Features

Exterior look with M-sport package

Suggested Improvements

Better reliability overall, better ergonomics, better quality leather in seats. BMW needs a huge effort to be on par with Japanese cars i terms of reliability, service and electronics.

A Great Car-Almost
By gruderian

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 550i 4dr Sedan (4.8L 8cyl 6M)

Great all around highway cruiser. Curves do not exist at practically any speed. Brakes are first class in every respect. Gas mileage averages around 12.5, all city driving; 15.5 combined; and 22.7 highway at any speed below 100 mph ( I know what you are thinking but that is how it works out ). Easy to live with and drive under any conditions. Front seats are very comfortable on long drives. Rough ride over road imperfestions. Extremely large and useful trunk. Not a single problem of any kind for the three years I had it. Some repetetive adjustments on the I drive are ridiculous. Heater will not warm your feet no matter how you adjust it. Throttle control is managed by computer.

Favorite Features

Driving performance from outstanding engine and transmission. Cornering and breaking. Front seat comfort. Large and useful trunk. Total realibility for three years. Beautiful sound from stero system. Rear tail light disign, especially at night. Service I received after purchase from Beverly Hills BMW. Seat heaters are beyond great on cold days. Close proximity warning system worked flawlessly. High speed ride ( From 80 mph to 140 ) is about as good as you could ask for in a car you can drive with reasonable comfort around the city. Excellent tires (Continentals) under all conditions. Low road noise at high speed. Tire to road connection transmitted through steering wheel.

Suggested Improvements

Improve ride over rough road surfaces, particularly at low speeds. Change heater design so it will actually warm feet and so the temperature does not have to be set at the thermostats and at the I drive. Increase the gas mileage. Get rid of those soft metal wheels that distort so very easily. Coordinate the gas pedal input and the computer response so the time lapse between them is not felt as a decision making process. Put a multple disc player in. You need something useful like an oil temperature guage in place of that silly gas mileage indicator in the dash board. Design a more modern looking instrument cluster with the speedometer in the center and the techometer inside it.

5 SERIES DEATH TRAP SEE NHTSA.GOV!
By avpgsp2

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I was not aware there were SO many engine issues with these models. While accelerating into high speed traffic, my vehicle stopped suddenly. The engine stalled. Power steering quit. Car was rendered useless. I barely made it off the road when my car finally came to rest. After doing research into safecar.gov I've found that this is an unfortunate problem that BMW will not officially recall, it seems as if it's because they can't offer a permanent fix for the issue. I'm reading that dealerships keep bandaging up major engine failure because BMW NA is not giving them further help regarding this particular engine. Praying that no one must die for the gov't to intervene & for BMW to fix this!

Favorite Features

Interior is divine.

Suggested Improvements

Replace the engine ENTIRELY. Save lives.

Love my 528i so far..
By kalicat

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

After reading all of the reviews, I opted for the 528i instead of the 535i. Bought certified pre-owned (not impressed - had a couple of issues that should have been caught by this supposed 180 point inspection) The car is a blast to drive, luxury and performance at a reasonable price- at least for the pre-owned. I look forward to every drive! I wanted a bigger car for safety and cause I have a young child - but with this car you dont have to compromise style and performace for a practical family sedan. Love the 30 mph on road trips too.

Favorite Features

The DRIVE! Get the sports package - the car handles better and looks much sportier (sits lower, better rims/tires)

Suggested Improvements

CPO dealers need to keep up the quality standards people expect when buying these cars.