Used 2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

Bullet proof reliability in my 535i Sport Package
By jackspotnspike

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought mine used with 40000 miles and with 65000 miles now. I am very happy with the performance and reliability. Nothing has gone wrong with it. I recently put brakes on at an independent BMW shop for $1200, complete. When I punch the accelerator the car is a rocket. It looks great (deep sea blue with natural brown leather seats and tints windows). The seven spoke alloys with the sport package are perfect.

Favorite Features

High performance engine, decent fuel economy, no reliability issues.

Major Disappointment
By 535nomore

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

This was my first BMW and I was really excited about buying it. It worked fine for about 6 months and then the trouble started. First it was the "reduced engine power" message related to the turbo system. The result of multiple trips to the dealer consisted of: engine reprogramming, replacing the high pressure fuel pump, replacing injectors, replacing a fuel pressure sensor, and reconnecting a vacuum hose that the mechanic "forgot" to connect. The car has had three water pumps installed. I've also had the battery replaced two years after I bought the car (new), the auxiliary jack replaced (it only played through one channel when I got the car. And a couple of other minor items.

Favorite Features

It's comfortable. It's also quick and fast, when it runs properly.

Suggested Improvements

BMW solved the problem by discontinuing the engine that can in the 2008 model and a couple of years before and after. Anyone considering this car, do yourself a favor and pass on it. The turbo/engine problem is fairly common. You can read about it on BMW owner's forums and boards.

Loved it
By alxislife

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Bought the car with 40k miles and sold it with 75k miles. The car didn't give me any problems whatsoever and ran perfectly. The only maintenance required was tires, brakes and rotors. No problems with the fuel pump at all. Loved the exterior design and the interior as well. To me the car was the perfect size not to big and not to small. Would definitely recommend! I miss the car but got a great deal on an Infiniti and I needed a change.

Favorite Features

Handling, breaking, acceleration. Car feels solid and safe. Fuel economy was very good averaged 19 mpg mostly city driving and I have a heavy foot.

Suggested Improvements

Lots of rattles and interior plastics started to peel and I took very good care of the car.

Buy It!
By pcman

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I've driven this car daily for 3 years and i still look for excuses to go drive it some more. Simply a blast. After testing all the other makes and models of Audi, Acura, Infinity, etc I still say this there's no comparison to how much better this car drives. The fuel pump issue people discuss is silly. BMW continues to cover this even out of warranty. My dealer replaced mine without me mentioning it when I was in for an oil change. I've had zero trouble with this car (knock on wood) and I drive it really hard.

Favorite Features

powerful engine, comfortable seats, Logic 7 Audio

Suggested Improvements

IDrive system is relatively cumbersome to use.

Trouble Free-Call it the Intimidator!
By jcollum68

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 550i 4dr Sedan (4.8L 8cyl 6M)

First of all, got this car in 2011 with 30K miles, stickered new for $69,500. It has $75K on it and is 100% trouble free. I have the sport backage in Carbon Black with tinted windows. What can I say, this car is beautiful yet intimidating. Blazing fast with amazing handling. Steering and brakes are A plus and the engine noise is a symphony. Those who look at numbers say a 535i is almost the same-no its not. Get a V8, a rare commodity nowadays. Plenty of room in the interior, high quality materials. I have driven many luxury cars, love teh E60 550i more than any and much more than the new F10 5 series--too big and bland. I want my cars with style, love it or hate it. Buy this car!

Favorite Features

Engine, accleration, handling, steering feel, 20 way seats, 19 inch wheels are gorgeous, quality leather and interior materials. Intimidating look-don't kid yourself, this car (the way mine is configured) is meant for a man. Logiic 7 stereo has nice sound, large trunk, I actually like idrive (not many seem to). This is really a 4 door sports car. Don't let the 4 doors fool you, this is a serious machine and if you are off public roads and can see it capabilities it will blow your socks off.

Suggested Improvements

Almost no console storage space or interior storage space, crappy cupholders. I know what I was getting buying a V8, but...I get 19.5 miles per gallon with about 80% highway driving. Fuel tank is way to small, this things has no range (get used to stopping for gas). Give me a bigger tank, better gas mileage (or both). The tradeoff for amazing handling is a (lets say) "controlled" ride. You will know the street surface-wouldn't mind a bit less firm ride. Be prepared for expensive maintenance costs. I had an E90 3 series, this car is in another world with routine maintenance costs. Why does an basis air filter cost $26 at the auto parts store when a Ford is $13? It is the same thing?