Used 2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan Consumer Reviews - 181 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

Enjoyable drive
By Don

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Check on maintenance costs before buying. A battery replacement cost me about $300. The covered maintenance program is great. Road noise is quiet. It's a great machine to drive. The electric seats are very comfortable once you figure out all the controls...

My 2008 535i
By B.K.

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I got a great deal buying a used 535i for $9000 cash. The car is great in terms of performance. Turn off traction control in the rain and the machine is a blast to have all sorts of fun with! However, things seem to go wrong electrically. My adaptive headlights, rear brake light bulb and reverse light bulb all went out in the same week. Also the fuel pump was leaking when I bought it but I was aware of this. I live in the Philadelphia area so there is a repair shop that specializes in German cars. They were able to get me a reasonable price for the repairs. However, if I had to take this to a BMW dealer, I would've gone insane with the prices.

Great Performance Sport Sedan
By Tomas Olivo

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 550i 4dr Sedan (4.8L 8cyl 6M)

This car performs amazingly well given the facts that is a heavy midsize sedan. The look is great! Definitely a head turner with the Sport package. If you are looking for gas mileage stay away from the V8 but if you are mostly looking for performance and power, this is definitely the car for you. I have owned different cars, but this car is very special. You feel in control and you feel like you own the road when you are driving it. It is definitely a joy. I have owned the car for about 2 years now and I bought it with 73,000 miles. Currently at 104,000 miles and no major problems so far. The only major issues was resolved under warranty after a few days I bought the car at the BMW dealer it had an oil leak and a rattle in the engine but they fixed it. Also the car's transmission would malfunction sometimes but they reprogrammed the computer and the problem was gone. Other little things that I have done myself are the angel lights that went out, fog lights, brakes, etc. Something that does bother me is the transmission at low speed, it is a bit jerky especially when you drive it first time during the day. I've been thinking about upgrading to the F10 version but reading about all the mechanical issues they have, I think I'm sticking with this one for now since it has been such a great car so far.

My 550i
By Dewey Raynor

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 550i 4dr Sedan (4.8L 8cyl 6M)

Greatest Car I have ever driven.

Not nearly enough bang for your buck
By Anthony

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Considering the steep price, this vehicle is mostly a disappointment. At 39k miles, the water pump went. Shortly afterward, three injectors failed. At 62k miles, the lower bushings needed replacing. While the vehicle is fun to drive, much of my experience has been quite pedestrian. Needless to say, my next vehicles will be a Mercedes and an Audi, as my wife will be getting a new vehicle next year as well. The Ultimate Driving Machine needs to be examined more closely, in terms of reliability.