Used 2008 BMW 5 Series 535i Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

Major Disappointment
By 535nomore

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

This was my first BMW and I was really excited about buying it. It worked fine for about 6 months and then the trouble started. First it was the "reduced engine power" message related to the turbo system. The result of multiple trips to the dealer consisted of: engine reprogramming, replacing the high pressure fuel pump, replacing injectors, replacing a fuel pressure sensor, and reconnecting a vacuum hose that the mechanic "forgot" to connect. The car has had three water pumps installed. I've also had the battery replaced two years after I bought the car (new), the auxiliary jack replaced (it only played through one channel when I got the car. And a couple of other minor items.

It's comfortable. It's also quick and fast, when it runs properly.

BMW solved the problem by discontinuing the engine that can in the 2008 model and a couple of years before and after. Anyone considering this car, do yourself a favor and pass on it. The turbo/engine problem is fairly common. You can read about it on BMW owner's forums and boards.

Buy It!
By pcman

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I've driven this car daily for 3 years and i still look for excuses to go drive it some more. Simply a blast. After testing all the other makes and models of Audi, Acura, Infinity, etc I still say this there's no comparison to how much better this car drives. The fuel pump issue people discuss is silly. BMW continues to cover this even out of warranty. My dealer replaced mine without me mentioning it when I was in for an oil change. I've had zero trouble with this car (knock on wood) and I drive it really hard.

powerful engine, comfortable seats, Logic 7 Audio

IDrive system is relatively cumbersome to use.

Fun car
By turnlund

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

We have 140K miles on this car; only recurring issue has been the high pressure fuel pump. BMW replaced it twice, no charge and no questions. Very impressive car, we have at least 60K miles left in it.

Engine, sport suspension, seats

CPO Bmw 535i 2008
By bilalch

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I have had this car for about 1 year now. I bought this as a CPO it had about 30,000 miles on it. Considering all the comparative models (Audi, Merc)I found this to be the most fun car to drive. I also liked the interior better then others (yes even better then 08 A6) I think it is more of personal preference, the interior is clean, high quality and purposeful. Built quality is great, offcourse drives awesome. Not much to complain about this car. Prob would buy a 5 series after this one (although am not so sure of the new model, the Bmw seems to have gotten soft on their design and the new 2011 one is more like a Merc, cant say much about drive though as have not driven it)

sport seats. twin turbo engine ( the thing I noticed about different 300 HP cars from other auto makers is the way it is utilized (if that make any sense) An other way to describe it would be hmm the way the power is transmitted to the road, no body does it better then BMW. exterior styling

CUP HOLDERS (what in the world were you thinking in Germany) Better stock tires (mine are Goodyear's RS-A came with the car) these are the worst tires you can find on a sports sedan. Most BMW's come with continental's which believe me are much better. My Goodyear's are actually dangerous (not just bad but actually dangerous) on wet surfaces, provide decent traction on dry surface though.

Great When Everything Works - Over Designed
By timbo52

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Exhilerating and fun when everything works! Love to drive my 2008 535i with Sport package- when it is not in the shop. Lots of power and totally responsive. Many problems which has been worked on under the factory warranty.1) entire head lamp module (less than 1 wk after delivery), 2)fuel pump, 3)fuel injectors, 4)car suddenly went into limp (lower power) mode when entering hwy- no solution yet from BMW(fortunately I was not in heavy traffic), 5)new gear shift handle, 6) iDrive goes crazy-dead black screen. Hopefully, nothing else shows up. I love the way the car handles but the trips to the service department has become too aggravating! Selling before warranty ends!Bitter/sweet experience.

Very safe. Sport mode is awesome. No hesitation on demand for power. Smooth.... It loves the curves. Fun to drive! Nice and roomy. Feels like it was born to run... Fast. Be careful and use the audible speed alarm so you won't get tickets. But it also has a quiet elegance. Well behaved in a mature way. The BMW driveabiltiy will be the benchmark for my next car but I will put "RELIABILITY"high on my list.

A more intuitive navigation system. Upgrade time is very very slow. Even my low end TomTom is easier to use. Need complete redesign of the iDrive. Redesign the iDrive system to make it more user friendly. Too many buttons to push to get you where you want to go. Very distracting when compared to other car manufacturers. You need an a passenger to work the IDrive for the driver. Should have fold down rear seats. IMPROVE THE RELIABILITY!!!! No machine is perfect, but this car cost too much for such poor reliability issues. You buy the car to drive.... but not to drive it to the shop so frequently. Scale back on the over-engineering and complexity.

• SUV