2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:
Charge me
By longrun on 09/12/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

In all the recent reviews of this model,I do not see the most exasperating quality of it's day to day performance. I refer to the battery drain when parked.The first winter I used the car,I did not start it for about 3 weeks since I do not drive on salted roads. The display had suffered a 'reset' which happens when the battery voltage gets too low. I received a statement from BMW that the car must be driven at least 40-50 miles daily to avoid this reset happening.I am retired and use the car mainly for shorter distances-less than 50 miles.As a result I have to connect a 'sustaining' charger every 2 or 3 days to keep the volts up. Annoying and apparently still needed on the 2011's!

Rocketship for the whole family
By Michael C on 08/21/10 07:56 AM (PDT)

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Absolutely amazing is the best way to describe it. My first BMW. Had the car for over 2 years now and could not imagine driving anything else within the same price range. The engine worried me for a short period but when I started using Chevron or Shell gas only, those problems disappeared. My bluetooth and IDrive seem to work flawlessly no matter which phone I pair to it. It was a whole lot more fun to drive it on the Autobahn (bought in Germany) but I can still find some open road every now and then and unleash it a little.

2008 BMW 535i Sport
By BillPort on 04/27/10 18:09 PM (PDT)

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

The 535 with the Sport Package is truly a 4-door sports car. Seating adjustments abound and you can program different profiles on the different keys. Handling is superb and 4 wheel drifts are doable with the "Anti-s" disabled. I averaged 20.7 MPG combined city/hwy. Sport mode and paddle shifters are a hoot. If it weren't for repair issues, I would love this car. Hi-pressure fuel valve went out 2x in 3 months. Unacceptable for car in this price range. Cheap materials in sunshades (no extender), cupholders are crap. Reverse light burned out at 33K miles. Turbo lag is noticeable at take off and throttle is 'twitchy' at take off. I want more time driving, not in shop, even w/warranty.

On the fence
By OnTheFence on 04/05/10 09:13 AM (PDT)

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

My lease comes up at the end of the year but not sure if I would buy it. It was at the dealership multiple times due to the high pressure fuel pump and gasket leak issues. Morning starts feel like a boat motor. Engine misfires. Car lurches back and jumps forward at stop lights etc. It's a joy to drive when the engine is trouble free. I-drive is so slow it drives me nuts. The blutooth works about 50% of the time. I'm eying the infiniti M and the lexus G because I really want a trouble free vehicle with better ergonomics. I'll have to sacrifice the driving dynamics of this vehicle though. There should not be a compromise for a $60,000+ car.

Screaming Fast
By BVBEAMER on 03/29/10 18:05 PM (PDT)

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I have owned 2 Acura TL's, and Infiniti G35 and several other lower model Acura's and even a 1987 325. This car is a blast to drive. Super fast. You can take a corner as fast as you want and the traction control will prevent you from ever losing control. Tried that in a G35 and the car spun out. I've had some issues with battery drain and dealer said battery was fine. After reading many posts I decided to get BMW battery tender. Very easy to use and BMW didn't engineer the car to properly maintain battery charge if you are opening closing doors, trunk etc without driving it. Knock on wood. haven't had trouble. I do notice trans lag when car is cold but is fine after a few minutes.

problem after problem
By matt c on 01/26/10 18:32 PM (PST)

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Great to drive and a wonderful car that gets 24 mpg in mixed driving when not broken. After about five months an oil light came on and then noticed a large oil spill at the house. The oil pump had exploded so the dealer took care of it. Then the power steering belt broke and took the AC out with it. Not exaggerating in saying the car went in for at least 10 visits and half were on a flat bed. I really like the car other than the fact I don't know when I am going to be stranded by the car. The Dealer did a shoddy job of fixing the initial problem which turned out to be a leak in some gasket they found after about ten visits. It appears that caused all the other problems.

Engine Failure
By Bimmer-R on 11/21/09 21:16 PM (PST)

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

This is not the best of BMW, this is my 2nd 5 Series and I expected better. Fuel leak twice, engine failure twice, car stopped once, engine rattling as if it was going to die most often than any used cheap car. Worst production twin turbo of BMW. Engine runs fast if it does not go nuts. I highly recommend people to buy another model with no turbo for now. My first one had the whole seat replaced, whole sun roof replaced, engine barrier replaced...this one had engine failure twice, disaster memory seat program, I hate to say this but I will really have to be convinced to buy another BMW this will go back to them! Do not learn it the hard way... read the other comments and you will know why.

Worst car I've ever owned
By Ryan on 10/15/09 17:22 PM (PDT)

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

This is by far the worst car I have ever owned. You would think BMW would notify their customers if they had an issue with the car. The fuel injectors and the fuel pump are constantly malfunctioning and every time I take it in, they tell me there is no issue. This is my first BMW and my last.

Awesome with some quirks
By M. Corbin on 09/26/09 08:01 AM (PDT)

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Had the dreaded engine issue that is common for these twin turbos but as long as I buy Chevron gas, it's no problem! Love the features and the performance capability. The fact that I won't pay for the first 4 yrs of service is a bonus. If you're looking to buy a new one, check into the European Delivery pkg so you can try it out on the Autobahn! U won't be disappointed.

Engine
By bennett on 05/26/09 14:41 PM (PDT)

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

We have had the car in the shop for the same reason 4 times. They have replaced 6 ejectors, fuel pump and a gas line. We got it out of the shop on a Thursday we went on a trip on Sunday and it backfired and made a loud noise and smoke filled the inside of the car. By the time we got it stopped and out, the car was burning. It burned up. We did all we could to get it repaired.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.