Used 2008 BMW 5 Series 535i Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

Fun car
By turnlund

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

We have 140K miles on this car; only recurring issue has been the high pressure fuel pump. BMW replaced it twice, no charge and no questions. Very impressive car, we have at least 60K miles left in it.

Engine, sport suspension, seats

CPO Bmw 535i 2008
By bilalch

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I have had this car for about 1 year now. I bought this as a CPO it had about 30,000 miles on it. Considering all the comparative models (Audi, Merc)I found this to be the most fun car to drive. I also liked the interior better then others (yes even better then 08 A6) I think it is more of personal preference, the interior is clean, high quality and purposeful. Built quality is great, offcourse drives awesome. Not much to complain about this car. Prob would buy a 5 series after this one (although am not so sure of the new model, the Bmw seems to have gotten soft on their design and the new 2011 one is more like a Merc, cant say much about drive though as have not driven it)

sport seats. twin turbo engine ( the thing I noticed about different 300 HP cars from other auto makers is the way it is utilized (if that make any sense) An other way to describe it would be hmm the way the power is transmitted to the road, no body does it better then BMW. exterior styling

CUP HOLDERS (what in the world were you thinking in Germany) Better stock tires (mine are Goodyear's RS-A came with the car) these are the worst tires you can find on a sports sedan. Most BMW's come with continental's which believe me are much better. My Goodyear's are actually dangerous (not just bad but actually dangerous) on wet surfaces, provide decent traction on dry surface though.

Great When Everything Works - Over Designed
By timbo52

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Exhilerating and fun when everything works! Love to drive my 2008 535i with Sport package- when it is not in the shop. Lots of power and totally responsive. Many problems which has been worked on under the factory warranty.1) entire head lamp module (less than 1 wk after delivery), 2)fuel pump, 3)fuel injectors, 4)car suddenly went into limp (lower power) mode when entering hwy- no solution yet from BMW(fortunately I was not in heavy traffic), 5)new gear shift handle, 6) iDrive goes crazy-dead black screen. Hopefully, nothing else shows up. I love the way the car handles but the trips to the service department has become too aggravating! Selling before warranty ends!Bitter/sweet experience.

Very safe. Sport mode is awesome. No hesitation on demand for power. Smooth.... It loves the curves. Fun to drive! Nice and roomy. Feels like it was born to run... Fast. Be careful and use the audible speed alarm so you won't get tickets. But it also has a quiet elegance. Well behaved in a mature way. The BMW driveabiltiy will be the benchmark for my next car but I will put "RELIABILITY"high on my list.

A more intuitive navigation system. Upgrade time is very very slow. Even my low end TomTom is easier to use. Need complete redesign of the iDrive. Redesign the iDrive system to make it more user friendly. Too many buttons to push to get you where you want to go. Very distracting when compared to other car manufacturers. You need an a passenger to work the IDrive for the driver. Should have fold down rear seats. IMPROVE THE RELIABILITY!!!! No machine is perfect, but this car cost too much for such poor reliability issues. You buy the car to drive.... but not to drive it to the shop so frequently. Scale back on the over-engineering and complexity.

One fine auto.
By jpcoregon

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought the 2008 535i certified, including the maint. program to 100K miles 10/08. Outside of the horrendous experience with the lack of honesty and integrity of the BMW dealer, the car is superb. Too bad the certified program still makes one visit a BMW dealership. The car's comfort, ability to handle as well as it's outright performance is just plain fun. I quickly dumped the run-flats on this Sport model and bought high end Michelin UHP tires. The difference is a better ride and performance all the way around. Huge lack of space for change, eyeglasses and little things. Cupholders are poor, but one forgets as this thing gets up and runs.

Comfort seats, Sport package, ENGINE. The way it moves and purrs as one goes down the highway or a windy road ('ya live for those). I enjoy the looks overall quite a bit...not really at first, but it has warmed on me, like a very good woman who is rather plain looking. The resale value is a very good thing and so far, albeit a few minor items and one recall pump (all tco under warranty), this car has been very reliable. It remain quiet at all times, with no creaks or rattles.

i-Drive is a clever idea that is executed poorly. It is a tolerable, but requires WAY too many steps and contortions to input basic information. Is is needlessly complex, but in the end, after all the inputting and requiring too much attention, it does work. The newer 5's did add better space cubbies up front, so that is good. I drove the new 2011 5-series as my vehicle was in for a warranty issue, and in no way cared for it as much as my own...surprised in a big way...nicer interior, like the looks but the fun factor went on vacation...I am happy and will keep mine. Overall, a very fun, enjoyable car that makes me grin as I get to drice it each day. Gotta love the German sedans...

BIG Disappointment
By mbarrio1

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Just got the 535 back after the recall- -engine malfunction--and got stuck on the side of the freeway. This is the third time, and it's the second replacement of the high pressured fuel pump. So it's the third fuel pump on this 5 series. I love the drive, but am concerned about the reliability factor since I've been stuck on the side of the road three times--NOT FUN! If I get another BMW, maybe one without the turbo, since that seems to be the cause of the engine malfunction.

I love the drive and the fact that with a sporty drive, I get 18 city and 26 highway. There's that surge of power from 50 to 70 in a matter of seconds with the help of the bi-turbo, AWESOME!

Let's make sure that the third installed high pressure fuel pump is it. Otherwise, I hope BMW pays for the fourth, and the fifth, and the sixth