Used 2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

Just love it!
By Sufi

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Finally took the plunge and bought 528xi with Premium Pack (comfort access, xenon, usb audio integration, etc.). I must say I absolutely love it. Also test drove the GS350 AWD, and it gave good competition to the 528xi but in the end, just the sheer driving pleasure swayed me towards the 528xi. Features for features, the GS350 had more toys, but it doesn't come close to the performance and the drive that 528xi offers. No lack of power. Just awesome!

The drive, handling, quietness, usb audio integration

Offer comfort seats, active steering in this model!

Great Performance, Great Value.
By So Cal D.

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Took ED and drove 600 miles across So. Germany in 3 days. Ably handled everything from tight country roads, windy descents to 100+ mph cruising & stop n go on the Autobahn. Averaged 26+ mpg. Coming from Acura TL, never thought I'd say "Good value" about a BMW, but the performance, ride, sound and handling are so amazingly solid while seating 4, it's difficult to imagine why you'd spend so much more for a little impractical Porsche (compare 0-60), or unpredictable Maserati GT. Great touring, great speedster and terrific looking. Easily translates from mellow to "let's go!" especially at the touch of the "Sport" button. Higher revs, immediate response.

Sport package; L7 stereo is tops; silent, stable yet nimble ride; road feel; efficient confidence.

None. Rear center armrest provides easily accessible and solid cup holders even for the folks up front.

A Superb Vechicle
By gordon

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

After one month of ownership and 2,000 miles, this is clearly a superior automobile. All of my expectation have either been met or exceeded. IDrive is not the most user friendly, but also not difficult to master.

Handling, power, sound system, keyless start, seat comfort, just the overall joy to drive.

I truly have little to suggest.

Terrible transmission trouble
By Andrew

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is my 4th BMW and I love the car with one major exception. There is a programming glitch in the transmission software which BMW has not been able to correct. The car slams down into first gear quite violently when I accelerate from low speed (such as when turning a corner onto an uphill grade) or slowing for a light and then re-accelerating without coming to a complete stop. The car has been back to the dealer twice - they have been superb, spending lots of time to try to solve the problem - but BMW corporately has no solution at this time. They say they hope to have a software upgrade sometime in September, but make no real promise that this will correct the problem. We shall see.

The heated seats/backrests are superb, the iPod connection, and after some fiddling with it, I like the iDrive.

Resolve the transmission software issue.

A Driver's Car
By Driver

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I now have 1500 miles and can say this was the best 1500 miles I've every driven. This is a driver's car not a typical American or Japanese built car. Don't complain about the cup holders, BMW doesn't expect you to drive the autobahn with anything but two hands on the wheel. Focus on the quality of the ride beyond the seat and gadgets, it is amazing. If you really want the power go for the 535 or to tour the country side with a 550. I find the 528 gives me what I need in power with a little economy unexpected, I'm averaging 22.4 mpg in the greater DC area.

Simply put the drive; lux ride quality in a car that's under 50k, sport ride in a four door sedan with comfort, all wheel drive that puts you into the corner and keeps you there.

Voice recognition for the pure fact that I do want to keep both hands on the wheel.