Used 2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

Most Helpful|
Great Off Lease Purchase
By hman

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Shopped for 2 months on numerous online sites and through local dealers to find exactly the configuration and price I was looking for. This car was $61,500 new 3 years ago, and I purchased for $36,000 with 35K on the odometer, about the same as I paid for my last car - which was a new Avalon Limited. The Avalon was pretty high tech and comfortable, but this car is an incredibly better value for many reasons. It is about as fun to drive as any car under $100,000 could be. The integrated IPod connection through the I-Drive combined with the Logic 7 sound system (highly recommended!) is superb. Premium (only) gas mileage has been about 17.5 in town and 26.5 highway.

Favorite Features

Logic 7 sound, extreme acceleration off the line and in passing situations on 2 lane roads, myriad of front seat adjustments in the sport model

Suggested Improvements

Battery drain issues that others have also commented on. Mine died in my driveway with no clear explanation but possibly from IPod. The computer system should be able to detect this.

CPO Bmw 535i 2008
By bilalch

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I have had this car for about 1 year now. I bought this as a CPO it had about 30,000 miles on it. Considering all the comparative models (Audi, Merc)I found this to be the most fun car to drive. I also liked the interior better then others (yes even better then 08 A6) I think it is more of personal preference, the interior is clean, high quality and purposeful. Built quality is great, offcourse drives awesome. Not much to complain about this car. Prob would buy a 5 series after this one (although am not so sure of the new model, the Bmw seems to have gotten soft on their design and the new 2011 one is more like a Merc, cant say much about drive though as have not driven it)

Favorite Features

sport seats. twin turbo engine ( the thing I noticed about different 300 HP cars from other auto makers is the way it is utilized (if that make any sense) An other way to describe it would be hmm the way the power is transmitted to the road, no body does it better then BMW. exterior styling

Suggested Improvements

CUP HOLDERS (what in the world were you thinking in Germany) Better stock tires (mine are Goodyear's RS-A came with the car) these are the worst tires you can find on a sports sedan. Most BMW's come with continental's which believe me are much better. My Goodyear's are actually dangerous (not just bad but actually dangerous) on wet surfaces, provide decent traction on dry surface though.

Major Disappointment
By 535nomore

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

This was my first BMW and I was really excited about buying it. It worked fine for about 6 months and then the trouble started. First it was the "reduced engine power" message related to the turbo system. The result of multiple trips to the dealer consisted of: engine reprogramming, replacing the high pressure fuel pump, replacing injectors, replacing a fuel pressure sensor, and reconnecting a vacuum hose that the mechanic "forgot" to connect. The car has had three water pumps installed. I've also had the battery replaced two years after I bought the car (new), the auxiliary jack replaced (it only played through one channel when I got the car. And a couple of other minor items.

Favorite Features

It's comfortable. It's also quick and fast, when it runs properly.

Suggested Improvements

BMW solved the problem by discontinuing the engine that can in the 2008 model and a couple of years before and after. Anyone considering this car, do yourself a favor and pass on it. The turbo/engine problem is fairly common. You can read about it on BMW owner's forums and boards.

Fun to drive, poor reliability & expensive to fix
By mqc99

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

This was my 1st and last BMW. Bought the car new, in the 6 years and 34K miles I've owned the car, I had a faulty battery, bad fuel pump, dead oxygen sensor, and a failed water pump. I was stranded 3 times (car completely died) and almost stranded twice. So, multiple trips to the shops and over 2 grand of repair bills later, I have finally gave up on this "ultimate driving machine". It was a fun car to drive while it worked. But, for a $60K car, I'd expect BMW to deliver something better. The worst part is that I totally lost my confidence in it and can no longer feel comfortable taking this car on any extended trips. This will be the LAST BMW I ever spend my money on.

Favorite Features

Nice handling. It drives very well when things are working.

Suggested Improvements

Improve product quality and reliability. Quality is not just about handling, it is also about driver confidence. When you can't build customer trust in your product, you loose the customer. Learn from how Acura and Lexus on how they have built customer loyalty. If you don't improve your product quality, you will loose to your competitions. Take a page from the lessons learned by the American auto makers in the 80's and 90's. They took some hard hits before they wised up and got their act together. Today, they have much better products. BMW, if you don't take care of your product quality, you will face the same hardship GM, Ford and Chrysler did 20 years ago.

2008 BMW 528i
By drao

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I purchased this car as a commuting vehicle. It is a joy to drive on a day to day basis, very quiet to exterior sounds, quick, refined and luxurious. Previously I was driving a 2007 Mercedes C230 in which I had some recurring issues -- not so with the 528i -- absolutely awesome car!! This was the perfect choice for me and my (small) family. We do some trips once in a while and this car is perfect for our needs. If I had a couple more kids then I'd have opted for a minivan or SUV for sure with the additional space.

Favorite Features

Comfort Seats, Auto folding exterior Mirrors, Sports driving mode

Suggested Improvements

Standard fold down rear seats.