Used 2008 BMW 5 Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

Reliability??
By Jeff

2008 BMW 5 Series 535xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Update on reliability issues on my 535xi. I contacted my dealer with my concerns and they arranged a face to face meeting with the dealer CEO, Service Manager and BMW North America. I was very pleased with the outcome of the meeting. I am glad to report that BMW is standing behind its product. I posted the note below on "Reliability???" and only feel it it right to give props to BMW and my dealer for handling my issues in a very professional and respectful manner.

Favorite Features

20 way comfort seats, ride , handling, performance. The company is standing behind their product and although it took a while for me to figure out how to get to the right people, I am confident in the actions being taken by BMW.

Suggested Improvements

I could not get to the right person at the dealer or BMW to help me for the longest time. The dealer and BMW needs a one stop number to call to get you to the right person. Too many times I had to explain my story to find out I was talking to someone who couldn't help me.

Lots of Issues
By 535xi-texas

2008 BMW 5 Series 535xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

My 535xi 2008 has been in shop for two months out of the last 12. It has gone back for rough idle and rough ride 4 times for the same problem. They have replaced the master computer, oxygen sensor and possibly other stuff. BMW and the dealership do not seem to work well together to solve tough problems. Symptoms are loss of power, similar to a missing cylinder combustion i.e., jerks. Situation is not constant. I get engine malfunction light on my dash but the car computer says all is OK. It is totally a frustrating experience.

Suggested Improvements

BMW must directly intervene in issues that do not get resolved after repeat attempts and take owner into confidence on what is going on.

Reliability??
By Jeff

2008 BMW 5 Series 535xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

This is the second review after owning the 535xi for 18 months. I can not say enough good things about what I like about this car (see first review for that). However, the reliability of this vehicle is just not even close to expectations. I had it in the shop 7 times in the last 1 1/2 years. 5 times for check engine light and rough running: 1) replaced fuel, 2) replaced computer, 3) replaced ignition coil, 4) replaced fuel injector, 5) replaced fuel pump. The 6th time I brought it in the front suspension was creaking worse than my 70 Mustang. Dealer said it was normal, but somehow they fixed it. 7th time was for an iDrive malfunction. For the problems I have had, BMW should provide an extended warranty free of charge. If they could make this thing reliable and restore my confidence, it would be the best car ever.

Favorite Features

The car is awesome to drive, i just can't keep it out of the shop. The dealer has tried very hard. Fortunately the warranty is good for a while, but I won't be able to afford the car once that expires. This car will suck the money out of my wallet faster than my 42 ft Sea Ray. Otherwise love it.

Suggested Improvements

Add a space for wife's purse and nav software was outdated the day I bought it-- weak.

Reliable, I don't think so
By John M

2008 BMW 5 Series 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Bought new in April, has been in the shop at least twice a month every month since then transmission problems (wouldn't shift into reverse) computer problems with the iDrive, check engine light/oil/coolant lights comes on with regularity, rough starting - attributed to carbon build up on the valves, cleaned 300 miles ago and now back again. Very disappointed in my $60k car, and find no help at the dealership either, phone calls go unreturned and requests to have BMW USA involved have been ignored so far. I was so excited to get this car, and now it has turned into one of the worst decisions I ever made

Favorite Features

Paddle shifters, heated seats.

Suggested Improvements

Make it work reliably. Fix the turbo lag, really noticeable between 65 and 80mph.

Smooth power
By BMW4D

2008 BMW 5 Series 550i 4dr Sedan (4.8L 8cyl 6M)

Just came off a Audi A6 3.2 quattro lease and decided to try the BMW 550i. I had a 2003 BMW 530i previous to the Audi. There is no doubt that the Audi quality and solidity is better than the BMW. The interior design of the Audi is superior as well. Where the BMW comes into its own is how it drives. The 550i is powerful for sure. The motor and suspension dynamics make the car despite is not being as solidly made as the Audi. We will have to see how the reliability of the car goes as the months progress. I never had any problems with either my 2003 530i or my 2006 Audi A6 quattro.

Favorite Features

Great V8 motor in the 550i with nice exhaust note on my sport package model.

Suggested Improvements

Obviously fuel consumption is not great with the V8 especially with any kind of spirited driving.